I sprung a boost leak @*%)@$

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
So, on my way back to Jax from Orlando, I sprung a boost leak. I tried to drop it down into 4th to pass a slow person in the left lane and the car pulled like crap. I checked the boost gauge, and sure enough the most I made was about 6 psi at red line. I was pegging about 11-11.5 before this happened. Also the vacuum only pegs at 6 now, when it was about 15. I pulled off at a gas station, and I could hear a hissing sound from inside the car, and it sounds like it is coming from the dash. I popped the hood and all the connections between the blower piping seemed tight and sealed. Unfortunately since my car is loud as hell, I can't hear the hissing sound under the hood.

So, WTF do I do from here? Any tips on ways to find the boost leak?:shrug:

FML

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just a thought but does the HVAC vents work?? Maybe a hose popped off from there?? That's vaccum controled

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Just a thought but does the HVAC vents work?? Maybe a hose popped off from there?? That's vaccum controled

Yeah they work, I am in class now and will check once I get to my car, but the hissing sounds like it is coming from behind the driver side (if that helps), and I don't believe it is coming from them.

That wouldn't explain the loss in positive boost would it? I dropped a nice chunk of PSI

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Anyone else have any ideas or test methods? I know of the simple soapy water on the piping connectors, but thats all I know how to test it without pumps etc

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I'm pretty sure it would explain the loss of boost.. try to not go WOT as it's probably running rich. I wish I could help more but I really don't know to much on the Vaccum side of these cars.. Maybe try to take it to ford..

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Yea I'm pretty sure it would explain the loss of boost.. try to not go WOT as it's probably running rich. I wish I could help more but I really don't know to much on the Vaccum side of these cars.. Maybe try to take it to ford..

I appreciate the help. I will look around for a good aftermarket mech shop around here, I have had bad experiences with some of the monkeys at Ford.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
VWVortex.com - DIY: Boost Leak Tester

I use a quick connect air hose end into my pvc end cap(compressor at 25-30psi)...it's amazing how few forced induction domestics know about testing for boost leaks. I guess since it is mostly imports that come with turbos stock, then it becomes a necessity for even the stock turbo imports.

Edit: Just realized that you shouldn't necessarily follow those directions word for word. Like you may have a different compressor inlet size and need to get everything to match your combination.

Last edited:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
You definitely lost a vacuum hose. If everything is good under the hood then its probably behind the dash but I'm willing to bet your problem is under the hood.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
I had a leak in the boost gauge line under the dash. So that fixed the hissing noise and the vacuum returned to normal. However, I was still only making about 5 PSI. So I popped off my powerpipe and sure enough, oil everywhere. My seals must have shot themselves to shit. I just ordered a rebuild kit from 928 Motorsports, I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread