I want to upgrade to windows 7

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
Don't upgrade just reformat and do a fresh install.
Save any pictures, music, files to a flashdrive(s) or disc(s) if you want to keep that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Sap

Established Member
Buy an oem copy of Windows 7 from Amazon or Newegg, pickup a copy of PC Mover, (laplink.com/pcmover) and follow the instructions. It will migrate all settings/relevant files/programs etc. to Windows 7

By far the easiest and most complete migration I've ever seen.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If the system you are upgrading is older (like over a year old) then I recommend a clean install and prevent migrating crap you don't want. I did a clean install on my wife's computer because hers was about 3 years old. A bit more time consuming but nothing all that difficult if you establish a plan ahead of time. On my Dell computer I did a regular update since it was less than a year old. Both are working great. I love Windows 7.

And as mentioned above, buy an OEM version and save some money.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
If the system you are upgrading is older (like over a year old) then I recommend a clean install and prevent migrating crap you don't want. I did a clean install on my wife's computer because hers was about 3 years old. A bit more time consuming but nothing all that difficult if you establish a plan ahead of time. On my Dell computer I did a regular update since it was less than a year old. Both are working great. I love Windows 7.

And as mentioned above, buy an OEM version and save some money.

+1 I'd only due a migration if you have a pretty up to date hardware. Otherwise I'd store all the important info on a external HD or any other storage device and just bring it over on a fresh install of 7.

I love win7 too, its light years better than vista

Users who are viewing this thread