IC coolant tank in trunk pros/cons

mustangcobra98

Got Nitrous?
Established Member
Ok guys I'm thinking about moving my intercooler res to the spare tire well in the rear. other than the obvous weight advantages and more water are there any disadvatages to this??? like time it takes for coolant to get to the front of the car??? Just checking to see if I'm not taking something into consideration that I'm missing.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
Well, no spare would be a disadvantage. Is it a track only car? Daily driver? That would play into that descision.

mustangcobra98

Got Nitrous?
Established Member
kind of in between Its not my DD but i do intend to take it out on the weekends\track. I have a truck for a DD. so yeah thats taken into consideration. I'm running a spec stage 5 clutch so its no where near a dd.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Know a bunch of fellas that are running the cells in the trunk and most all of them are pretty much track cars. Great for maximizing icing strategies and takes weight off the front of the car and put's it in the rear.

I've raced with several guys with this setup and often times when they return back to the pits after a run, there is still ice in the reservoir. This is a superior way to maximize lower IAT2 temps with ice.

Only real cons are obviously elimination of conventional spare setup, the additional weight of the extra water, (even though it's at least in the rear...), and the cost of a crap load more ice!!!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
like IronTerp said....no spare....extra weight (approx 50lbs but its in the right place!)

the ice part wont matter unless you go to the track and ice it down, which in that case youll use a lot of ice. I use 100lbs of ice in 6 runs but I use A LOT.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Locating the tank in the trunk will creat more work for the pump having to overcome the flow restriction and extra mass of coolant and reduce it's output to a fair degree. A bigger pump would help.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
I won't be able to run ice in mine but it seems like it would stand to reason that water temp would remain cooler longer if the tank was mounted in the trunk. I may try this once I get my car out of surgery and get it tuned. The question is would if be enough of a difference without ice to be worth the trouble of locating it back there.

Users who are viewing this thread