idea on chilling HE coolant

sam

Established Member
Originally posted by jcayer
um.... link doesn't work....

yea i know. i have the web link. how do i get it to work. i draged it in the text box but nothing happens.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Thats pretty interesting...I wonder if something like that can be fabbed for the IC tank.

Brad

Banned
Apparently it takes that thing a whole day to produces 2 gallons of cold water. It also says it can cool up to 10 gallons of water 20 degrees under tha ambient, wonder how long that takes. Either way, I don't see that working very well.

sam

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Thats pretty interesting...I wonder if something like that can be fabbed for the IC tank.

it's pretty small and it only 2lbs. it also works on 12 volts. i think the hole size required is like allittle over an inch. i would try this with an extra ic tank. untill i see it's size, i will then know if the tank can be used.

sam

Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
I dont think it would cool quick enough

this idea is to chill the water in the pits with the ic pump running with a battery charger more than street use. this may not be the exact unit to buy but this is the idea to use an inline chiller.

Last edited:

sam

Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr
For use in the pits it might just work....
It's capacity is a bit small though....
Do they make an industrial size???
Jimmy

i'm sure they do. this is just concept right now just to get the idea out there to the members. perhaps someone will come up with the setup that will be more effeicent that could acually be used all the time.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
The intercooler and larger (after-market) heat exchanger's hold about 1 gal. of fluid. Temperature will be around 130 degree's, plus. You would need one of these that could cool those kind of temps'.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Not to be a detractor from new ideas, but if you look at how many gallons of water this unit is capable of cooling per day, only over 2 gallons, and that is on water that isn't constantly trying to be re-heated, like the coolant in your heat exchanger, I don't think it has a chance of keeping up with the heat.

Quote from Web Site.

In fact, IceProbe Powered™ water coolers consistently demonstrate the ability to deliver over 2 gallons of cold drinking water per day!

sam

Established Member
Originally posted by Richo
The intercooler and larger (after-market) heat exchanger's hold about 1 gal. of fluid. Temperature will be around 130 degree's, plus. You would need one of these that could cool those kind of temps'.

we need to have the temp to never to be able to acheive the 130 degs.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
What I don't understand is why Ford provided such a small coolant tank. It seems like a larger volume of liquid would take longer to heat up and be easier to cool down, and keep cool.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
I don't think that will do much as is... but that same idea on a bigger scale, perhaps you are onto something....but as it is now, I can't see that doing anything..... good find though, perhaps that can be turned into something useful (aka bigger scale for the temps of the IC's)

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
It only pulls 50 watts. I don't know what fans pull, but it would seem likely to be more than that. So, it seems there would be no reason you couldn't put several in a reservoir where the battery normally sits (ala the Vortech cooler).

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
The element that actually cools electrically is called a Peltier module. I've been trying to figure out some way to utilise this cooling effect on our cars for some time now.

The problem with Peltier modules (one of the problems) is that they develop about twice as much heat as they move, so heat sinks aren't usually good enough to support these modules when they're dealing with a large amount of heat.

They're commonly used by computer experimenters, notably overclockers, and usually in computers that have been converted to water cooled processors.

The optimal voltage for Peltier devices is 15 volts, but they do work on 12.

One thing about the heat, if there isn't enough hot side sinking, these little things will get hot enough to melt solder (guess how I found THAT out...)

You can find them here http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=12326+PM

I've had them on a copper plate for the hot side, and sitting on a soda for the cold, they'll cool a room temperature soda down in about 20 minutes.

In other words, it's not the cooling that's the problem, it's disposing of the heat.

Experiment!

Users who are viewing this thread