Illegal Immigrants Returning to Mexico in Record Numbers

dogmush

Established Member
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,409221,00.html

DALLAS — Illegal immigrants are returning home to Mexico in numbers not seen for decades — and the Mexican government may have to deal with a crush on its social services and lower wages once the immigrants arrive.

The Mexican Consulate's office in Dallas is seeing increasing numbers of Mexican nationals requesting paperwork to go home for good, especially parents who want to know what documentation they'll need to enroll their children in Mexican schools.

"Those numbers have increased percentage-wise tremendously," said Enrique Hubbard, the Mexican consul general in Dallas. "In fact, it's almost 100 percent more this year than it was the previous two years."

The illegal immigrant population in the U.S. has dropped 11 percent since August of last year, according to the Center for Immigration Studies. Its research shows 1.3 million illegal immigrants have returned to their home countries.

Some say illegal immigrants are leaving because a soft economy has led to fewer jobs, causing many laborers to seek work elsewhere.

Others argue that a tough stance on immigration through law enforcement has spread fear throughout the illegal population.

"There's no question there's a variety of suggestions that people are in fact returning," said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies. "Remittances, which is the money immigrants send home to Mexico, have gone down dramatically over the past year. Again, probably part the economy, but also part enforcement, leading to fewer people being here."

Advocates for immigrants are disturbed by the trend. Albert Ruiz, an organizer for the League of United Latin American Citizens, agrees that more undocumented immigrants are going home — but says families are being torn apart in the process.

If a father is deported, Ruiz says, his family members in America are forced either to fend for themselves or follow him to a country where they've never even lived.

"So the mother is saying we should return home with the breadwinner of the family to Mexico, and the children are saying, I don't want to leave, I'm a U.S. citizen, I don't know that country," said Ruiz.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon plans to help returning nationals by providing food, medical care and temporary shelter if needed. But reports are already out in Mexico that the large number of illegal immigrants returning home could drive down wages and put pressure on social services — the same concerns many Americans have with illegals living and working in the U.S.

Really? Drive down wages and stress social services? Awwwwww, I feel for you. Maybe you're just not being sensitive to the immigrant community down there in Mexico.

canibus

Established Member
it's sad when someone reports on something they know nothing about, and then someone who knows equally nothing tries to show it to whoever will listen and form an opinion in the process.

dogmush

Established Member
You'll have to forgive me if I don't feel the need for a doctoral thesis on immigration to point out the irony that Mexico is worried that their own citizens returning will drive down wages and stress the social services.

Especially when those same concern have been raised here for years.

As for how much Kris Gutierrez knows about the situation, I don't know. But the source was cited by me so the reader can form their own opinion on the validity.

canibus

Established Member
wages, social services? these things are non existant in mexico. it's a free for all, why else do you think people migrate here

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
waits for the move to smackdown......:pop:

Waves goodbye to the illegals.:rockon:

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
it's sad when someone reports on something they know nothing about, and then someone who knows equally nothing tries to show it to whoever will listen and form an opinion in the process.

For Gods sake we can't have any opinions here.:nonono:

03SoniCobra

no title, look away
Established Member
its amazing, the uscbp can't stop the flow of illegial mexicans, and certainly can't give a real number of how many are in the counrty, yet center for immigration studies someone comes up with 11% leaving....

they all need to go back to mexico, and i hope their country gets even worse then it already is too.

heres how a typical border town hospital operates in mexico....a mexican walks in, says help me, i've been shot twice and my arm is broken i think...(he has no cash to pay)...mexican doctor says, yeah you're certainly right...what you need to do is cross into the USA and get yourself some free healthcare....

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Since you are a bonified expert, tell us what's wrong with the story and then tell us why people shouldn't form an opinion.

canibus

Established Member
For Gods sake we can't have any opinions here.:nonono:

not if you're basing them on a bullshit article, at that point you end up sounding more ignorant than the person who wrote it

Since you are a bonified expert, tell us what's wrong with the story and then tell us why people shouldn't form an opinion.

sadly 11 percent isn't even close, 5 percent maybe. Most of the illegals aren't from the big city's in mexico where there is healthcare or fixed wages. Most live in small towns where the houses are still made of adobe and the people live off their crops. Most of mexico doesn't have paved roads, telephones, electricity, or schooling. You don't need to refile your paperwork when you go back because according to them, you never left. if anything you might for your kids born here but you won't need to if you're going back to a place like this.

I will guarantee you though that this is only temporary. as soon as the market gets back on their feet. They'll come back.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
not if you're basing them on a bullshit article, at that point you end up sounding more ignorant than the person who wrote it

So let me see if I have this straight. You are telling him his opinion (and source) are bullshit based on your opinion? Maybe you could provide a source to ad some validity to you statements, until then (in your words) it is just another bullshit opinion.:)

canibus

Established Member
So let me see if I have this straight. You are telling him his opinion (and source) are bullshit based on your opinion? Maybe you could provide a source to ad some validity to you statements, until then (in your words) it is just another bullshit opinion.:)

I've been on both sides of the fence, i know what i'm talking about.

experiencing something is different than forming an opinion about somethin you don't know.

dogmush

Established Member
I've been on both sides of the fence, i know what i'm talking about.

experiencing something is different than forming an opinion about somethin you don't know.

Different yes, but not neccecarilly more accurate. Often less accurate.

Believe it or not, I wasn't trying to start a Smackdown-esque anti-immigrant thread. I just thout it was funny that the Mexican Go. was worried about supporting the same people that they've been encouraging to come here.

Schadenfreude if you will.

But if we have to have "experiance" to post on these topics, I do live in FL. It's been said that there's an immigrant or two somewhere in that state. I might have even met them. :shrug:

I now return you to your regularly scheduled "They're taking our jobs!!!!!" rant.

:beer:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I wonder if they're technically illegal immigrants when they cross over back into Mexico? The housing and construction businesses will suffer for this, but I can't say I'm sad to see 'em go. I'm all for immigration, but not via illegal means.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
StealinUrYobz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread