Illegal to sell a car w/out cats?

03 black gt

Established Member
So I recently sold my 03 mustang GT which had an O/R x-pipe installed. I just got an e-mail from the buyer saying he needs some money from me to get cats, b/c he can't pass emissions. I made it very obvious when I made the sale that it did not have cats, I had a place that had passed me w/out looking under the car in the past, and it was being sold as-is. He says he was told it is illegal, even if the car is sold as is. Also, the place that used to pass me is no longer there, so I don't have anywhere to recommend he go to get passed. Was the sale illegal, and should I give him money?

Also, if I do give him money, what are the cheapest cats he could buy that would weld in to the o/r x-pipe. He says he will split the cost with me, but initially was asking for $300 from me and I think that is a bit excessive. Also, the car has longtubes & magnapacks catback, so if he had to get a new midpipe, which would be the cheapest route. I am not gonna pay extra for him to upgrade the car, when I dropped the price almost $1,000 to make the sale.

Thanks

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
So I recently sold my mustang GT which had an O/R x-pipe installed. I just got an e-mail from the buyer saying he needs some money from me to get cats, b/c he can't pass emissions. I made it very obvious when I made the sale that it did not have cats, I had a place that had passed me w/out looking under the car in the past, and it was being sold as-is. He says he was told it is illegal, even if the car is sold as is. Also, the place that used to pass me is no longer there, so I don't have anywhere to recommend he go to get passed. Was the sale illegal, and should I give him money?

Also, if I do give him money, what are the cheapest cats he could buy that would weld in to the o/r x-pipe. He says he will split the cost with me, but initially was asking for $300 from me and I think that is a bit excessive.

Thanks

If it was clearly known before he bought the car that it did not have cats then it seems that it should be his problem. But thats just my .02

03stang74

Established Member
I sold my GT and my CO cobra without cats, no problems, sounds to me like you have a douche on your hands who trys to skate through life.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I think as long as you hid nothing, he has nothing to ask for.

You can buy Maganflow Generic cats from Full Line Exhaust for about $65 each, free shipping (I had to replace one of mine that had become hollow).

Generic Cat link

-Brian

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
"AS IS" is the key term here.

People sell cars in every state all the time w/o passible emmisions controls, sometimes cars dont even run.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
"AS IS" is the key term here.

People sell cars in every state all the time w/o passible emmisions controls, sometimes cars dont even run.

Yeah but tampering with emissions controls systems on a vehicle IS illegal, if they were on the car and were fouled up or didnt work that would be one thing, but not there at all is different. OP just have him go and get some cat shells and weld them onto the pipe. No one will ever know. But i would get some legit advice from a attorney if you are that concerned, you dont want something coming back to bite you in the ass over this.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Did you inform the buyer that the car did not have properly operating catalytic converters? If so...you should legally be in the clear because the vehicle was sold with full knowledge of an incomplete or non-operating emissions system.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Without knowing the law regarding selling a vehicle with missing cats, I would suggest just buying a second hand midpipe right out of the classifieds, and be done with it. It is my feeling that he could make this a big headache for you, if he were to bring in the state police, local EPA, RMV, etc.

03 black gt

Established Member
Yeah so thanks for the advice everyone. I did have "as-is" in writing, and I made it very clear that it did not pass emissions as it sat when sold. But as 95 SVT COBRA said, I think the laws are different when it come to tampering with emissions controls systems(regardless if it says "as-is"). I told him to buy some weld-in cats and I would pay half, and I am assuming it will be less than $100 on my part. I don't want this to turn into something more, so hopefully he will go agree and I will be done with it.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
It all depends on the state you're in and the laws. I know in MA the car has to pass inspection within a certain time period.

You should be fine... But obviously dont take my word for it since I dont know shit about GA laws. Tell the guy to go somewhere else. My SS has no cats and passes. My Formula also had no cats and passed.

I'm usually upfront with the people who inspect it. I'll let them know before I bring it in that it has no cats and an aftermarket exhaust. If they say its fine, were good to go as long as theres no check engine light since its impossible to pass in NY with that on.

Make some calls and ask around. Use the method I mentioned above by being upfront with the inspector before you bring it in. I know a few local place that will pass my car easily and without really even inspecting it.

And tell the guy to go **** himself because he knew about the car not having cats as well.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
is the car already in his name?

you are in GA, what state was he in?

im pretty sure in 99% of cases you are clear and he is SOL. it happened to my dad before and he was stuck putting cats on a car

svt99rag

Established Member
I have traded cars in with no cats. I had the dealer ask me a week after I traded my 99 in if I had the stock mid pipe, and if so if they could have it because it was going to cost them $400. They couldn't set it out on the lot without having the cats.

03 black gt

Established Member
is the car already in his name?

you are in GA, what state was he in?

im pretty sure in 99% of cases you are clear and he is SOL. it happened to my dad before and he was stuck putting cats on a car

Yes it is in his name, and he is also in GA. I have offered to cover some of the costs, just to play it safe. He hasn't e-mailed me back yet, but I am hoping he will agree and I won't have anything to worry about.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Yes it is in his name, and he is also in GA. I have offered to cover some of the costs, just to play it safe. He hasn't e-mailed me back yet, but I am hoping he will agree and I won't have anything to worry about.

save your emails, so when he takes your money and tries to get more out of you you have backup

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
You shouldnt have offered to pay for anything on the car!

Tell him to go **** himself. He knew the car had no cats and bought it anyway.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
give him momney and take off your parts and resell them. get your money back, **** him if he doesn't like the way it sounds.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I think you already messed up by agreeing to him, but then again emails could potentially be altered so it wouldn't hold up anyway. I would tell him to jump off a bridge: You sold it As Is. I just don't see any way at all that this would hold up, especially since he knew that the car didn't have cats. Don't agree to anything- it's his problem now. I would simply tell him that it is not your responsibility at this point, and you have nothing more to say to him.

Users who are viewing this thread