I'M BACK! Suaveflooder's "Diamond in the Rough" Journal

Jefe

Established Member
Who buys wheels before they even have the car? Honestly...

01trublue cobra

Established Member
Awesome job on the wheels. I have a Flex polisher and a PC if you want to borrow one of them for your detail. The flex is much more powerful if you want to use it, if you already have experience with the PC.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Who buys wheels before they even have the car? Honestly...

The real question is who buys wheels, a flywheel, third break light, bushing, fior firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant before they buy the car :)

I waited on buying the bumper :thumbsup: That will be bought monday. I basically bought all the stuff I knew the car needed immediately (other than the third brake light...I just got a killer deal on it). Other than that, it's just fluids. I still need a even flow mod, and diff brace for the necessities.

By the way, Jeff.....I still haven't seen your car...

Awesome job on the wheels. I have a Flex polisher and a PC if you want to borrow one of them for your detail. The flex is much more powerful if you want to use it, if you already have experience with the PC.

That would be awesome! I'm going to use a regular orbital at first to see the damage, then I will take you up on your offer! Thanks Jose.

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Well, another update. I picked up the car this morning. I was stoked! I couldn't wait to get back into the cobra. My first look at her again:
a6cd883a-a3c4-8523.jpg

a6cd883a-a3d9-0ed6.jpg

I got her home to swap the rims out and found this.
a6cd883a-a3fd-1f2c.jpg

A leaky differential is not the best thing to see right after you get a car.

I got the wheels swapped and headed to get the correct tire pressure and clean the car
a6cd883a-a457-aca4.jpg

Sooooo much better with the new wheels. Good news is that I have the H&R race springs an not the sport like I though, so eventually I will be pulling the isos out.

So I get the car clean an go to leave the car wash and my batter light goes on!!!! You're gotta be fockin' kidding me!

Diagnosis: alternator was dead. When I started pulling the car apart I realized that the battery was HUGE! It didn't even fit in the tray. This seemed to be the problem with the alternator.

62b0fc86-b52b-d25a.jpg

When I went to put the ground cable off the nut broke off and fell to the ground.

It took me about 45 min an $349 to replace the alternator and battery, then back to the differential I went.

After fighting with the exhaust for about an hour I finally was able to check the differential fluid
62b0fc86-b64c-7a6f.jpg

It was almost a full quart low on fluid.

Anyway, it was a LONG day! I'm going to get the car back together in the morning so I can use it for work. I will get to the differential when I have the chance

The car is COVERED with sap. I'm going to do a body panel a day until it's done, THEN I will order the front bumper. Going to hold off for a week or so just in case I have any more surprises like today

moot09

Established Member
Car looks MUCH better without the bullits.

I found a pump pimer at Walmart for about ~$15 that would work great. Just run a hose into the fluid bottle or cup and one into the diff itself. Reason I remembered was that I found it after I filled the diff with a turkey baster. I'll be the first to say that diff fluid does not taste great...ask me how I know haha

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I like it... the best thing about a "diamond in the rough" is the price usually isn't too rough. Hope you got it for a steal man..... lots of potential for sure!! GL

gabe1530

Banned
awesome project, great progress so far. congrats to getting back into a cobra. when i saw that you got the BMW, i thought to myself, ''how long is that going to last?"

laruei

Established Member
That's for sure a rough diamond.. But to the naked eye a diamond in the rough looks like a rock... So you're off to a good start as it already looks like a ruby...

Just keep positive... At least you know all the things you work on are fixed for a long while ;)

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Awwwww yeeaaaaaaaah! :banana:

And great work on the wheels!!

Subscribed!:thumbsup:

Thanks Kevin!! Welcome to SVT!

awesome project, great progress so far. congrats to getting back into a cobra. when i saw that you got the BMW, i thought to myself, ''how long is that going to last?"

HAHA! Funny thing is that I knew within a week that I wanted to be back in a cobra! It's been a long time coming! Just glad to be back in what I love

log on to American Muscle and get yourself a LPW DIFF cover. No need for a brace with that thing.

Already had it planned sir! Probably going to order in middle of next month. Ian (laruei) is going to help me bust it out in a day sometime in december. Just going to keep topping her off until then.

By the way, thanks for your help with the electrical stuff today! I'm going to get to it in the morning. I'm about 90% sure it's that fuse.

Good lord... I can't imagine how hard that thing has been driven.

She's had better days for sure! Going to try and start on the paint this week.

That's for sure a rough diamond.. But to the naked eye a diamond in the rough looks like a rock... So you're off to a good start as it already looks like a ruby...

Just keep positive... At least you know all the things you work on are fixed for a long while ;)

Thank you Ian. I actually read this earlier on today after I texted you. Super frustrating for sure. This post calmed me down.

Couple more things on the "needed" list. Clutch cable looks to be stretched. and the springs are in upside-down

62b0fc86-eb3d-c634.jpg

62b0fc86-eb52-c59a.jpg

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
Shit.. just make sure you get the Ford cable.. dont get the aftermarket one..

And its all good man, its easy to get frustrated with cars.. esp when you do all the work yourself.. i have learned people that just throw money at cars and dont do the work themselves have the luxury of dropping it off broke and picking it up fixed.. us frugal and capable folks have to live with the hurt backs and pissed off days of rescheduling life to fix our toys or dd's (or both in your case)

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Shit.. just make sure you get the Ford cable.. dont get the aftermarket one..

And its all good man, its easy to get frustrated with cars.. esp when you do all the work yourself.. i have learned people that just throw money at cars and dont do the work themselves have the luxury of dropping it off broke and picking it up fixed.. us frugal and capable folks have to live with the hurt backs and pissed off days of rescheduling life to fix our toys or dd's (or both in your case)

Exactly. Suck of it is, I've driven the car MAYBE 15 miles. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some time in.

laruei

Established Member
lol... go buy something off craigslist in LA :D

Thats what i do when i wanna go for a drive and need an excuse.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Haha! I would never make it. Car still isn't charging. Got a ride from the wife to work today. Everybody there is waiting to see the car. It sucks to tell them it's at home on jack stands

Users who are viewing this thread