Im back w/ more bad news, broken MMR Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meister@Torq

Established Member
If this was an oiling problem there would be signs of it all over the bearings, etc and if an oil pump fails at 6000+ rpm there would be a ton of damage to the rest of the motor such as crankshaft, etc.

If this was a lean problem, the air-fuel would not have been 10.87, plugs would be melted and broken, tops of the pistons would be destroyed.

Thanks for everyone's support. We look forward to the customer getting this solved and back on the road. We offered the first time to build a motor with warranty and this time.

trxcobra

Established Member
Just read through this thread for the first time. Feel bad for the OP, I went through a similar situation with my MMR build with two broken comp valve springs. Luckily I did not undergo any piston damage (according to MMR) but they did replace the valve springs and checked everything along with new head gaskets. Motor has been running great for about 10k now. Granted I am N/A but it has seen 7500rpms a few times!
Good luck OP, nobody deserves to go through this much of a headache!

96vertsnake

Established Member
If this was an oiling problem there would be signs of it all over the bearings, etc and if an oil pump fails at 6000+ rpm there would be a ton of damage to the rest of the motor such as crankshaft, etc.

If this was a lean problem, the air-fuel would not have been 10.87, plugs would be melted and broken, tops of the pistons would be destroyed.

Thanks for everyone's support. We look forward to the customer getting this solved and back on the road. We offered the first time to build a motor with warranty and this time.

Just to make sure we're clear.....it was an MMR oil pump. **Edited by moderator. Chose your words carefully.

96vertsnake

Established Member
I'd like to see pics of the other pistons and Plugs to see what they look like.

They will be posted in a couple of days..plugs are still in the heads and there is no, none, nada appearance of detonation. There is no, none, nada appearance of any heat related issues. Rods, plugs, bearings, top of the pistons and all else look BRAND NEW!

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
As usual some cannot hold their toungue.

Read the rules.

Yes we do want to know about problems with vendors, Yes you are allowed to tell your story.

However, the minute it turns ugly and bashing starts it gets closed and helps no one.

Got it?

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Well, I figured I will finally chime in here, I will be uploading some more photos of the engine, taking things apart. There is some more damage we discovered once we took the valve covers off. The cam covers, not sure the exact name but the metal brackets that bolts on top of the cam shafts, one of them is severely cracked and the other is completely broken like the metal snapped. Not sure how the hell these things can be cracked or what causes it, but the only one I can think of is from over torquing a bolt. I will upload pics later.

I am also taking the entire engine to a third party engine builder today, Tim Eichorn, to get his full tear down and diagnosis. I am documenting all of this, and plan on getting the diagnosis in writing.

Last edited:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Tim will take care of you and should you decide to build another motor, just have him do it. I believe your referring to the cam tower caps and I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. How you are keeping so calm, I have no idea but kudos to you for remaining civilized where I and many others would have become heated.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Here is the photos of most everything, the numbers on the paper do not represent the actual cylinder order, they are just for reference.

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0867.jpg

DSCN0868.jpg

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0871.jpg

DSCN0872.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0875.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0880.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0884.jpg

DSCN0885.jpg

DSCN0886.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

DSCN0889.jpg

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

DSCN0899.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0903.jpg

DSCN0904.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0906.jpg

DSCN0907.jpg

DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

Ironhand

Banned
wow.. Just wow.. I don't even know what to say man..

What you say is,"I dont see any signs of detonation and that the scratching on the side of the pistons appears to be from the incorrect piston to wall clearances."

Did I get it right or am I putting words in your mouth? lol

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What you say is,"I dont see any signs of detonation and that the scratching on the side of the pistons appears to be from the incorrect piston to wall clearances."

I would say you know me to well and to get out of my head.. :beer:

SVTPete83

Established Member

Bearings and piston tops look good. Damn. That's crazy. I would guess to say clearances were def the issue as well. Get out of both our heads. Lol

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Here are the heads and this is where it gets interesting:

First off there is 3 severe cracks/breaks on these cam tower caps.

If you look at this first picture, and this threw me off, it looks like they ground down a corner of the cap and there appears to be a hairline fracture in it if you look closely enough. The first picture shows the crack the best, that is the only pic where i could get the light to capture it just right.

DSCN0923.jpg

DSCN0922.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0920.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

DSCN0917.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

It looks like the cracks/breaks all occur near where the bolts are located, leaving me to possibly believe of over tightening. Any other possibility of what could cause this?

Here is a pic of the valves and plugs, there is NO sign of detonation on the plugs whatsoever.

Head 1

DSCN0933.jpg

DSCN0932.jpg

DSCN0931.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0929.jpg

Head 2

DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0927.jpg

DSCN0926.jpg

DSCN0925.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
The grinding on this tower cap was not done by me nor was it done by my tuner, who has not done any engine work on this car other than engine removal, engine install and dyno, why did MMR grind up my cam cap? was there a crack in there before? why didnt I know about it? what is all this stuff I didn't know about?

:shrug:

96juicedGT

Established Member
Ouch! Those pics look just awful...Hope it all works out for you man. That's crazy.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
This whole situation is just ridiculous. Either way, major hats off to you for keeping your cool. I would have lost mine after what they did when your first engine went and they took you through a loop. I was thinking MMR for a future build but not after this.

Good luck with this man. I'm sure you'll make the best of it.

C.Wied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread