I'm Calling it Right Now...

Voltwings

Established Member
The hard part about DI is you cant just swap injectors typically, because often times there just arent any out there. Then there's the matter of the high pressure pump, the fuel rail, upgraded rail valves (think FPR). Its often times easier to just add an auxiliary system with 2 1000cc injectors to the cold side of the intercooler, or a full auxiliary port injection system (12 injectors total), neither of which are cheap. It also brings a whole new level of tuning into it, because you have to have someone who understands how to adjust the maf, and add the fuel back in the aux system accordingly.

I'm interested to see how C7 vettes start getting around this problem... One thing someone pointed out recently though, is a smaller engine (2.3, 3.5...) needs a larger injector per cylinder to make the same type of power a V8 would. For example, our Factory Ms3 injectors were the equivalent of about 800cc, but were really only good to about 400 whp or so. Consequently, 800cc in a V8 will take you much further... Will be interesting to see where the future of DI takes us.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
That 4 banger will need e-85 headers a down pipe a tune and an intake just to match 400 ftlbs of torque!

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
1. Headers = downpipe
2. I promise you it wont, not with a twin scroll turbo. It will obviously be much easier with those parts, but don't underestimate what an E85 tune will do on a stock turbo car. Keep in mind, torque is very easy to make on a turbo at low rpms, its carrying that performance into the upper rpms where the flow mods start to matter, and that's the difference between "quick" and "fast."

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The hard part about DI is you cant just swap injectors typically, because often times there just arent any out there. Then there's the matter of the high pressure pump, the fuel rail, upgraded fail valves (think FPR). Its often times easier to just add an auxiliary system with 2 1000cc injectors to the cold side of the intercooler, or a full auxiliary port injection system (12 injectors total), neither of which are cheap. It also brings a whole new level of tuning into it, because you have to have someone who understands how to adjust the maf, and add the fuel back in the aux system accordingly.

I'm interested to see how C7 vettes start getting around this problem... One thing someone pointed out recently though, is a smaller engine (2.3, 3.5...) needs a larger injector per cylinder to make the same type of power a V8 would. For example, our Factory Ms3 injectors were the equivalent of about 800cc, but were really only good to about 400 whp or so. Consequently, 800cc in a V8 will take you much further... Will be interesting to see where the future of DI takes us.

C7's are running 9's on factory fuel system. Looks like GM designed their DI to be able to supply large fuel demands. The EB has proven not so much.

Rentlyrent

Established Member
I just can't wait for SVT to build on these new mustangs. I'm so excited for the return of the true SVT Cobra and hopefully a remake of the SVO.

ZeroSVT

Established Member
A 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang with just a good tune will make more TQ to the wheels than a comparable stock (and possibly a tune only) 2015 5.0 Coyote Mustang GT. Anyone disagree?

Seems reasonable...

Ecoboost 2.3's are quite capable (but highly scaled back) engines.

Cheers,
-Matt

acrbill

Established Member
Man if I didn't need a 4 door daily driver I would really consider an EB right now. I had a big turbo srt-4 Neon that was loads of fun. Just sit back and wait while the aftermarket runs with this car. I remember having my turbo PT cruiser where you just put a spring on the wastegate arm and got a nice up in boost. LOL those were the days. Roasting 350zs in a PT Cruiser.

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
LOL so I just built the car I would buy and its nearly 10k cheaper than the GT I would buy.

Premium EB
Guard green
manual
saddle interior
EB performance package
Nav

Does anyone have pics of the intercooler on this car? Hopefully its something decent that can be useful with mild upgrades.

I am very interested to see how it performs with the stock turbo, larger catless downpipe and more boost. Leave it to a 4 cyl. engine to get me excited about this platform. LOL

Last edited:

four28

Established Member
I had a big turbo srt 4 as well and think this will be a nice daily. I already have a boosted coyote when I need to go fast but I'm sure the eb will hurt feelings like the srt's did in their day. Could always add a small shot to help the top end pull.

twistedneck

Established Member
Porsche fuel limited 2.0L V4 has a turbo on it, making 600 plus flywheel HP so I see your point Voltwings. I heard that's capable of 4 bar of boost at peak especially using the MGU-H the boost gets up there quickly.

If it is fuel limited I bet Livernois will fix it, have a pump ready and get that 620HP they are already making more accessible.

I forgot to mention that, they make 620HP now but its at the edge on the 3.5L, is that due to the fuel issue? sleeved block, forged setup, the HP per L is not that great.

acrbill

Established Member
Just found the answer to my own question. The intercooler is 21x5.75x3.25 thick with 2.5" inlets/outlet Seems pretty decent really.

[video=youtube;v0nkF6UzcVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nkF6UzcVg[/video]

Voltwings

Established Member
LOl i'd be lying if i said i havent thought more than once about trading my 5.0 in on a PP EB ... the new interior alone is almost worth the change, but anyways...

The most common intercooler upgrade for your typical 4 cylinder in the 400-500 whp range is the tradstone Tr8L, which can function on a smaller stock turbo, you just may encounter some lag at that point from the pressure drop.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...44&cat_key=63&prodname=TR8+Intercooler++500HP

W: 24"
D: 3.5"
H: 7.8

Looks like they have the EB at
W: 21"
D: 3.25"
H: 5.75

So it is a little on the smaller side, but its not exactly a "small" intercooler... not bad. The only problem i foresee this piece having, is that its not uncommon to blow out a plastic end tank once the boost starts getting turned up.

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I'm a bit wary of the MPG rating, based on what I've read about other Ecoboost platforms...

I don't know what you've heard, but my 4400 lb Taurus is getting 25 MPG mixed on my daily commute with the 3.5 EB.
I've seen close to 30 on the highway. That 25 is calculated the old fashioned way, not the dash display (It reads 26 presently).

Voltwings

Established Member
Motortrend dyno'd a 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang at 279hp and 295 torque. It's pretty much on the pipe by 3k although I was a little surprised to see the power drop off so quickly in the upper range. Perhaps the stock turbo will be a limiting factor in the quest for more HP.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._mustang_ecoboost_23_first_test/photo_21.html

We covered this in another thread, but all stock turbo cars are tuned to drop HP on the top end to keep the heat down. It would be nice to see it hold power out a little longer, but its rare to see a stock, turbo car making power past 6. Nothing a tune and flow mods cant fix though, thats why tunes alone on turbo cars make such drastic improvements.

That torque curve is beautiful though, thats a wicked little turbo on there. Cant wait to see where the aftermarket takes it.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
We covered this in another thread, but all stock turbo cars are tuned to drop HP on the top end to keep the heat down. It would be nice to see it hold power out a little longer, but its rare to see a stock, turbo car making power past 6. Nothing a tune and flow mods cant fix though, thats why tunes alone on turbo cars make such drastic improvements.

That torque curve is beautiful though, thats a wicked little turbo on there. Cant wait to see where the aftermarket takes it.

I can't keep up with all the threads on this forum:) Hope you're right!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If it sounds anything like my little 2.0 I4 Evo X with exhaust, then it will be a win!

Not my Evo, but I have the exact exhaust component setup.

[video=youtube_share;_wnJrsIHyYc]http://youtu.be/_wnJrsIHyYc[/video]

Voltwings

Established Member
I just hope there's EWG options lol ... going to be tricky with no Exhaust manifold, but i miss mine off my old Ms3.

Users who are viewing this thread