I'm Calling it Right Now...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang with just a good tune will make more TQ to the wheels than a comparable stock (and possibly a tune only) 2015 5.0 Coyote Mustang GT. Anyone disagree?

Voltwings

Established Member
Hmm, on pump gas it may be close, but on E85 not a doubt in my mind. For safety reasons I limit the Mazdaspeed3s i tune to about 380 wtq @~4000 rpms, but getting 420-450+ on stock turbo with bolt ons is not hard at all, its just a matter of longevity / traction.

acrbill

Established Member
I have played the 4 cyl turbo game before and know how those tiny turbos make crazy torque so I am not ready to disagree just yet. I think there is going to be a war on the streets with 4 cyl guys picking fights with Coyotes. LOL

Voltwings

Established Member
They'd need to be stock. The ecoboost will be damn fast with some mods, but you're still only talking (guessing) ~350 or so whp and 400 or so wtq. Not quite enough to pick on much other than a stock 5.0 haha.

BMR Tech

I think it will be close.

I'm calling this - power adder for power adder, it won't even be close. ;)

Voltwings

Established Member
Depends on how well the stock EB components flow, but i'd be willing to bet the 5.0 will take that one. I really like this twin scroll set up Ford has developed, but we really have no information on the turbo sizing, so its all just guessing at this point.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on how well the stock EB components flow, but i'd be willing to bet the 5.0 will take that one. I really like this twin scroll set up Ford has developed, but we really have no information on the turbo sizing, so its all just guessing at this point.

op is probably cheating and knows more than hes able to discuss right now

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have played the 4 cyl turbo game before and know how those tiny turbos make crazy torque so I am not ready to disagree just yet. I think there is going to be a war on the streets with 4 cyl guys picking fights with Coyotes. LOL

I don't really worry for the Coyotes, I think they'll still be the top dogs. The guys I feel sorry for are the ones with 3V 4.6 GTs. Without a power adder they're probably going to get slaughtered by bolt-on I-4s with half the displacement. I would hate to have bought a 2010 GT new and still be making payments on it.

op is probably cheating and knows more than hes able to discuss right now

:D

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't really worry for the Coyotes, I think they'll still be the top dogs. The guys I feel sorry for are the ones with 3V 4.6 GTs. Without a power adder they're probably going to get slaughtered by bolt-on I-4s with half the displacement. I would hate to have bought a 2010 GT new and still be making payments on it.

this, getting slapped with the 5.0 the next year was bad enough but now theyre gonna get sodomized by bolt-on/tune 4cylinders. Time to burn it, bag the ashes and collect insurance money

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
A 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang with just a good tune will make more TQ to the wheels than a comparable stock (and possibly a tune only) 2015 5.0 Coyote Mustang GT. Anyone disagree?
this, getting slapped with the 5.0 the next year was bad enough..

^That as well-I think there's gobs of power and plenty of potential locked up in the Eco-Boost but it's going to touch the Coyote by a mile unless it's running a husky turbo-Even then I would anticipate it only making somewhere around 375-390 at the tire. Only time will tell but It's definitely going to be a nuisance for 05-10's and any V6.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I don't feel bad for 2010 owners, I mean.....there was all sorts of data online about the new upcoming Coyote engine, well before they likely ordered their 2010.

I mean, if they went by what the dealer told them (or didn't) then they probably don't even know what a Coyote is, other than an animal.

That said, the majority of the sales personnel at the dealership have no clue about "up and coming" stuff. 6 months ago, I went to a local dealer....for other reasons. I got to chatting with a sales guy and asked him if he is excited about the S550, and he looked at me weird. He had no clue about the new Mustang, and did not believe me....

REDS197

Established Member
The 5.0 will be king without question with all the aftermarket out there.

I have to admit the price for the Eco and how hard Ford keeps pushing it we might see some great numbers.

G-Mann

Established Member
I think the torque numbers on a well tuned EB4 will best a stock 5.0 but I dont think it will best a 5.0 with a good tune. I think the EB4 will have to add cat deletes to do that.

The weight savings and what should be some cheap power mod opportunities on the EB4 make it pretty damn interesting but slap a turbo or two on a 5.0 and game over.

Be interesting if the 5.0 gets more challenges from a EB4 than any other car. Sibling rivalry.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think the torque numbers on a well tuned EB4 will best a stock 5.0 but I dont think it will best a 5.0 with a good tune. I think the EB4 will have to add cat deletes to do that.

The weight savings and what should be some cheap power mod opportunities on the EB4 make it pretty damn interesting but slap a turbo or two on a 5.0 and game over.

Be interesting if the 5.0 gets more challenges from a EB4 than any other car. Sibling rivalry.

It's not going to be as easy to turbo the 2015 cars as it was the S197, there just isn't as much room under the hood of the new car.

I doubt there'll be a ton of cross shopping between the GT and EB. I think the markets for each will be fairly well defined.

Bob Cosby

Established Member

I don't disagree, but with all due respect.....so what? Unless you're trying to limit engine rpm while pulling a trailer, its a fairly useless number.

Users who are viewing this thread