I'm done with Ford

bpmurr

Established Member
Sorry guys I posted this in here by mistake. I do feel strongly that if Ford advertises these as performance cars they shouldn't be so quick to not provide any assistance when you take it to the track once. The only place you can safely use the power of this car is at the track so it's a win-win for Ford. Either you can put the car in your garage. Tell all your buddies how badass it is for the whole 600 miles you drove it during the warranty period. Or you can actually drive it like a performance car and be told to go screw yourself when you try to work with both Ford and the dealer. I never was looking for "handouts" just some answers to questions and a straight story that changed from week to week. I realize the clutch is a "wear" item but this wasn't my first rodeo with a manual and it shouldn't have worn out after one day at the track and the rest daily driving. Now that I have the McLeod in here and it's having it's own issues (like during the first drive off the lot after install with the tech) there is defiantly something wrong in the driveline.

Last edited:

cobraman302

Established Member
Sorry guys I posted this in here by mistake. I do feel strongly that if Ford advertises these as performance cars they shouldn't be so quick to not provide any assistance when you take it to the track once. The only place you can safely use the power of this car is at the track so it's a win-win for Ford. Either you can put the car in your garage. Tell all your buddies how badass it is for the whole 600 miles you drove it during the warranty period. Or you can actually drive it like a performance car and be told to go screw yourself when you try to work with both Ford and the dealer. I never was looking for "handouts" just some answers to questions and a straight story that changed from week to week. I realize the clutch is a "wear" item but this wasn't my first rodeo with a manual and it shouldn't have worn out after one day at the track and the rest daily driving. Now that I have the McLeod in here and it's having it's own issues (like during the first drive off the lot after install with the tech) there is defiantly something wrong in the driveline.

Performance cars and drag cars are 2 different things. I cannot even imagine running my cobra 12 times at the drag strip at one time. Hell, I am lucky to get 2-3 runs in in the entire night! I would expect failure sooner or later if I ran it that much, especially after making modificatiosn to the car that up the power! Do you think the car was built to have (guessing here) an extra 100hp on the stock clutch and drag racing it? Foot the bill and move on or sell it and buy a car you can afford to fix. :shrug:

bpmurr

Established Member
Performance cars and drag cars are 2 different things. I cannot even imagine running my cobra 12 times at the drag strip at one time. Hell, I am lucky to get 2-3 runs in in the entire night! I would expect failure sooner or later if I ran it that much, especially after making modificatiosn to the car that up the power! Do you think the car was built to have (guessing here) an extra 100hp on the stock clutch and drag racing it? Foot the bill and move on or sell it and buy a car you can afford to fix. :shrug:

I had a 52HP gain over stock. I've been told by Ford and the OEM clutch manufacturer that my power levels can be handled by the OEM unit.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/687320-dyno-run-after-2-6-pulley-wms-tune.html

Never fails to completely blow my mind!!!

We have a guy who roasts clutches(now his second one is toast) for a hobby and wants Ford to pay for them because he is convinced there is a "drive line problem".

And we have history "obliviots" who have secret information about European incursions into the Pacific theater all in the same thread!

You can't make this stuff up!:rollseyes What a freaking ZOO!:dw:
:pop:

You need to get your facts straight. I didn't roast a second clutch. The issues were one the first drive after install with the tech who installed it at the dealer. I don't mind someone giving me crap but at least get your facts straight.

Last edited:

cobraman302

Established Member
Fair enough, thanks for giving that number. I'd agree that it should hold that power fine, but drag racing it...maybe no tso much. My expectations would be for it to last because my clutch is stock and I have an additional 100+rwhp . Hard to say, firend of mine has an 08 GT500 and its got 14k miles and his clutch is fried and it is a stock car....shit happens i guess.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Quit crying. Look at your mod list. You have to pay to play, I'll chalk it up to operator error. Which means, before you have to pay 1800 again, maybe go get some driving lessons.

I agree. The clutch is a wearable item. Ford will warranty any wearable item for 1yr or 12,000 miles. Your case thats not possible due to the mods your car has.

bpmurr

Established Member
Fair enough, thanks for giving that number. I'd agree that it should hold that power fine, but drag racing it...maybe no tso much. My expectations would be for it to last because my clutch is stock and I have an additional 100+rwhp . Hard to say, firend of mine has an 08 GT500 and its got 14k miles and his clutch is fried and it is a stock car....shit happens i guess.

No problem, sometime people think I have some kind of monster GT500. When in reality all I have is a 2.6 pulley and tune. The JLT intake and pypes exhaust do nothing for me. They are for sound and looks.

I agree. The clutch is a wearable item. Ford will warranty any wearable item for 1yr or 12,000 miles. Your case thats not possible due to the mods your car has.

That is not true, they will warranty some wear times for 1 yr and 12,000 miles. The clutch does not fall under that provision. At the end of the day my battle with Ford wasn't about the mods or power levels it was that the clutch just carries no warranty. I felt it shouldn't have failed so quickly and they felt there was no manufacturers defect after looking at some pictures.

Last edited:

SVT GT

Established Member
Sounds like you were caught with your hand in the cookie jar and you can't drive a stick or can not handle the power of the car with a stick. Sounds like you need to swap it out for an automatic. You posted you raced the thing at the track and added a bunch of aftermarket parts and Ford found out about it, you lose. How they found it is only left to the imagination. I would guess you told the managers where you purchased the car from. Or they were searching websites and just happened to find you. Whether the clutch failed due to what ever Ford did (which I doubt), they do not have to honor your warranty after what they found. Learn how to drive a stick and do not post on sites that Ford watches, or tell the people at the dealership what you did to the car. Get it fixed out of your pocket, and if you can not...then it sounds like you are living out of your means and should have not purchased such a car and a expensive car at that...either way...
Get over it stop crying lesson learned move on.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
As was posted in the other thread your dealer pulled your warranty not Ford. Your dealer was the one that got gun shy for some unknown reason. Also posted in the other thread every other manufacturer has treated customers in the very same fashion.

Your naive to think this has not happened before or will not happen again.:poke:

Svtracer

Established Member
The clutch falls into the wear and tear item. Ford will find anyway possible to not replace those items. The cars modified regardless of what how much hp over stock it made. You put in a superior clutch than stock that should last you longer than the stock one. i think you should be fine just that. If this clutch fails then its on the driver to figure out what adjustments need to be made.

OhIIICobra

Established Member

bpmurr said:
Man you really got it out for me.

I was upfront and honest with my dealer about the car and the mods. I've attended their car shows per their request and have helped direct lots of sales their way. They are a small Ford only dealer and the service manager wanted to make sure he could get things covered for me. It totally backfired because he wasn't expecting Ford to take pictures of the engine.

Both the service manager and GM spoke with multiple levels of Ford on my behalf. They were going to give me the parts and labor at cost which I was fine with. However, they could never get the clutch from Ford and Ford wouldn't answer my concerns about installing another OEM unit.

We went with the McLeod and the dealer screwed up the install. So I had another one installed. Not having the bent disc in the second clutch got rid of the issue I had where it was really hard to shift into 1st or reverse from a stop. However, I have a really loud metal on metal sound a low RPMs. (same on both units)

My reason why I'm upset with Ford the company is not just about the clutch. It was the crap they gave the dealer about giving me assistance on issues with the car as part of delivery. It was the crap with them not answering questions I had about the OEM part and not allowing me to make the best decisions about the repair.

The bottom line is right now at the most I would have had a $1250 bill instead of a $1800 bill and counting because I would have got another OEM unit. However, I got the info I needed to hear out of Ford a few days ago when I needed to hear this months go and that damn OEM unit is STILL on backorder!

Do you understand why I'm just a little pissed?

You knew you were asking for something unreasonable from the get go. Handout FAIL. Things didn't work out in your favor, quit twisting it on Ford. :burn:

:pop:

Is this thread ever going to smackdown?

Users who are viewing this thread