THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
LRNIN2LUVhisSVT
Rookie SVT Poster

Vehicle: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant

Not yet you're getting there though..

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
I am just going to post silly stuff from here forth....anyone want a good recipe for Cheesecake??? LOL!

Okay SoCal...will wait it out I suppose...give me time to get a pic with "the" car! I will request Jack get her all dolled up for the occassion! LOL!

Glad you approve of the color...I aided in that a bit. He had initially wanted to go with the graphite I think it was...it was a grey color...I thought was ugly...looked like a filing cabinet!...lol...anyway, I pushed for black, and there were other factors too...can't remember now, but I prefer to think of it as Jack loves me enough to let me chose the color! LOL!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by LRNIN2LUVhisSVT
I am just going to post silly stuff from here forth

Have no fear there are several other forums on the board that are ripe for conversation. Pop into roadside if you want to talk about stuff other than cars..

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
No, I am here to learn about cars, although todays lesson was in "attachments"...lol...pics are fun, nice to know who you are talking to, but again not why I am here!

So, back to cars. What kind of exhaust system do you have SoCal? And again, go slow, explain what it does, and the difference in performance/speed/etc. that the exhaust systems makes. PLEASE!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I have Kooks 1 5/8 long tube headers w/ 2.5" collecters, matching shorty H-pipe, Magnaflow high flow cats, Mac 2.5" exhaust w/ 3" tips.

The long tube headers do 2 things; aid in scavaging/ accelerating the exhaust and building low end torque.

The collecter is the coupling device between the headers and h-pipe

The H-pipe has a balance tube which does as it's name implies balances the exhaust pulses. It's a shorty in that is half the size of the stock h-pipe and custom made to match the headers. The cats attach to the H-pipe and are a high flow design to reduce backpressure (a HP robbing condition created when the exhaust cannot exit before the next pulse comes down the pipe)

The Mac cat back is one of many cat backs that are on the market and my personal preference. They are called a cat back since it comprises of all the exhaust equip aft of the cats (mufflers, tailpipes) ergo cat back.

My setup is relatively mild at idle but Nascar loud at WOT. I chose my parts for 2 purposes: specific sound and performance.

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
I am printing this one SoCal...lots of info. I am sure I will have questions for you tomorrow...if that is okay?

Also, I am asking only what I know to ask here, which is not much. I base my questions on the little bit that I know about Jack's Cobra and some of the upgrades he has made or issues he has spoken of.

So PLEASE throw things out there. I am interested in any and everything.

:) Di

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
Satisfied! LOL!

Thanks Nasty, but where you referring to me or the car?? LOL! WAIT! Do not answer that! :lol:

7 More Larry? OKay...well I still need to respond to SoCal. I did not do my homework last night, other things came up :).

I did manage to sort through some pics, and found one that I actually like. I hate most pictures of me so this is a rare and freakish ocassion! LOL! I am sharing it with all of you! The other two were pretty rough, in my opinion anyway...of course Jack looks GREAT! :) Again my opinion...so you guys HUSH!

Hey, is anyone from Houston? Jack told me there was a "meeting" of the Houston guys Mar. 22. He will be there, I think I will be watching kiddos, which is just fine! I was just curious as to if I would eventually get to meet anyone that I have been chatting with...that would be GREAT!

TTFN-Di

PS-I pray this pic is not as grotesquely HUGE as the one Larry so kindy posted for me yesterday! lol

LRNIN2LUVhisSVT

Established Member
I am apologizing mainly for the SIZE, Larry...and that is all you! LOL! But I..."ME"...I felt they were bad pics, so I chose one I like....SO THERE! LOL!

I am not here to look cute, this is not a singles web site...lol...and Lord knows I NEVER professed to be a supermodel! hehehe But A pic was requested, so I responded, and now with one I like. You my dear Larry put the pressure on by saying I was "cute" THANKS! You know I am kidding...I could really careless..I am here for cars cute or not!

DONE! Now onto cars, and exhaust systems....Someone please tell me what a cat is and SoCAl what is WOT?

So exhaust systems are torque related? Also what are headers? I am not sure of Jack's system,again, more homework, and I will get him to show you, again visuals are EVERYTHING for me. All I know is that after he had the new system installed it was most loud and he was very happy with that!

I understand the length, and the shorter pipe and what it does, that much I got. But the rest is still pretty foreign.

So much more to learn!
Di

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Someone please tell me what a cat is and SoCAl what is WOT?.....Also what are headers?

Cat= catalitic (sp) converter; smog equipment
WOT- Wide Open Throttle
Headers= the exhaust tubing that connects to the exhaust ports of the Head; hence the name. From the factory they are named exhaust manifolds and are inherently inefficient as assembly time takes presidence over performance in some areas.

So exhaust systems are torque related?

Not only torque but Hp as well. In the context I used prior, the LT's (long Tube headers) are generally accepted and proven to give you a torque advantage. Sorry I didn't mean to confuse. Think of the engine as a living thing. The inlet track (airfilter, tubing, throttlebody etc) allow the engine to inhale. While the exhaust allows it to exhale. Try inhaling through a straw then exhaling through a paper towel roll, it doesn't work very well. Finding the balance is the key to making power. That's why many bag on ricers as "bigger is better" it too often belived to be the solution. Thier giant air intakes and 4" fart can exhausts are extremely inefficient. Akin to trying to breathe with your lips wrapped around a traffic cone: it can be done but you'll eventually hyperventalate and pass out..

Users who are viewing this thread