Im losing my mind... literally

In2myCobra

Established Member
My Car is driving me insane.... let me explain why, a couple weekends ago I heard a squealing (if you will) near the bottom of my car. I was able to pin point it to the transmission. The "squealing" would go away once i touched/put pressure on the clutch pedal. I was told this was the TOB (throw out bearing). It was a cheap part ( $60 ) from frpp, so i replaced it this weekends. NOT but 3 days later the "squealing" came back!! :cryying: It has the same issues as before, once any sort of pressure is put on the pedal the noise immediately goes away.....

Can anyone shed some light on what this could be? Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

Extra Info:
Clutch only has 1,5xx miles
Pilot bearing has 1,5xx miles
Old TOB had 1,5xx ----- went out?
New TOB has 64 miles on it..... :fm:

In2myCobra

Established Member
No, but i should have. To my understanding the pilot bearing is only engaged when the clutch is pushed in? So wouldn't the noise (if it were the pilot bearing) only be there with the clutch in? And the noise hasn't happened for a couple days (Monday, Tuesday) either, but magically started today...

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
the pilot bearing runs on the end of the input shaft and is in play most of the time, you might also check the input shaft bearing while you're there

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
do you an adjustable clutch cable or firewall adjuster? you may have it adjusted improperly and its killing the bearing

In2myCobra

Established Member
DSG2003Mach1, I don't have an adjustable cable/quadrant. I was thinking about getting one while I was doing it, but funds are tight considering I'm a student. I did happen to stumble across a "self" adjusting clutch pedal/cable our cars have built in (found in owners manuel). So I did the adjustment Ford suggested by the owners manuel. (Pull up on clutch pedal, then all the way down) Im thinking its a clutch adjustment like you said, I'm just going to live with the noise for 4-6 months untill I can get an adjuster! While I'm under the car, it may be a good excuse for some suspension mods? Haha

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
If you center the TOB before installing it will stay squeak-free. What I mean by this is center the hub in the outer race before installing. Some come out of the box close, but most are off to one side. If you install it with the race off to one side, it is guaranteed to squeal.

RyanApfel

Established Member
i had this same EXACT problem with my first mustang(2000 v6). i replaced the throwout and it stopped for like a week then came back. so i opened it back up. replaced it with ANOTHER throwout, but i greased the shit outta it.... it never made the sound again.... food for thought.

In2myCobra

Established Member
The weird thing is, the TOB didn't make the squealing today! If it comes back, ill take this weekend to grease the hell out off it. Thanks for all the feed back!

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
the pilot bearing runs on the end of the input shaft and is in play most of the time, you might also check the input shaft bearing while you're there

In2MyCobra is right -- the pilot bearing only spins when the clutch is pushed in. When the clutch is out (engaged), the input shaft and the flywheel (and hence the pilot bearing) are all spinning at the same rpm.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
In2MyCobra is right -- the pilot bearing only spins when the clutch is pushed in. When the clutch is out (engaged), the input shaft and the flywheel (and hence the pilot bearing) are all spinning at the same rpm.

you are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread