I'm so sick of my garbage tranny, who offers the best replacement trans?

specizripn

Established Member
So my transmission is garbage. If I get on it and go through 1,2,3 and want to shift into 6th above 4k rpms I have to double clutch or let the revs drop or it will grind and not go into 6th. Every time I backup my car wants to pop out of reverse. I also have a 4th gear grind occasionally... Additionally, sometimes gears just disappear. Like today it wouldn't go into 3rd, so I pushed it hard, the shifter went into what felt like 3rd but it didn't feel right and when I gave it gas the motor just revved up like I was in neutral... Anyway, I'm sick of these shenanigans lol!

I'm also sick of people thinking I can't drive because my transmission is a POS and likes to misbehave and backing up is nearly impossible (I have to hold it in reverse, and sometimes it will pop out anyway, which gets very frustrating and embarrassing).
What is the best replacement? I don't necessarily have a budget in mind, but Im not made of money either...
What do you guys reccomend?
-T56 Magnum?
-RSGear Transzilla?
-RPM Transmissions modified T56 Magnum?
-Other?

specizripn

Established Member
I should've been more clear. I know autos are faster, but to me a Terminator is distinct because of 3 main things, a supercharger, IRS, and 6-speed. So I promised myself I wouldn't turn my car into a turbocharged, solid axle, auto car. If I wanted that I wouldnt've bought a GT, V6 or roller and built it up. Thanks for your opinion though

SlowSVT

Established Member
:nono:

Based on your statement and knowing the general durability of the T56 I would say your going to have transmission problems no matter what you get.

Calling a T56 "garbage" is laughable. Almost every T56 tranny problem can be traced to the owner. Transmission don't break themselves and yours sounds pretty messed-up.

specizripn

Established Member
I never said the T56 was a garbage transmission... I said MY T56 was a garbage transmission. It was worn out when I got it, but the price was good so I got the car anyway. I planned on running it till it ran out of breath and then getting a stronger transmission to support my future power mods. Trust me, it's not me ruining the transmission... My friends make fun of me on a regular basis for refusing to power shift or slam gears. I granny shift more than my grandma.

Looks like the general consensus is to get a Magnum, so now I need to decide if I want to get an upgraded version of the magnum or get an out of the box unit from Tremec. Hmmm:burnout:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Out of the box Magnum is more than enough.. If you break the out of the box one, you should go Auto

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Smooth as butter, loves high rpms and powershifts.. There is no notch, no feeling like you're driving a semi etc..

I powershifted mine on a 3rd 4th shift at 7500rpm like it was nothing.. Best syncro'd transmission I've ever shifted hands down

SlowSVT

Established Member
I never said the T56 was a garbage transmission... I said MY T56 was a garbage transmission. It was worn out when I got it, but the price was good so I got the car anyway. I planned on running it till it ran out of breath and then getting a stronger transmission to support my future power mods. Trust me, it's not me ruining the transmission... My friends make fun of me on a regular basis for refusing to power shift or slam gears. I granny shift more than my grandma.

Looks like the general consensus is to get a Magnum, so now I need to decide if I want to get an upgraded version of the magnum or get an out of the box unit from Tremec. Hmmm:burnout:

You didn't really elaborate on how use actually use the car or how many miles are on it or if you are the original owner (that stuff matters). Almost everyone who complains about a transmission acting-up rarely disclose that they have been abusing the transmission usually at the drag strip and can't understand why it's giving them problems. If you have not been shock loading the transmission or slamming gears and not abusing anything it may have suffered from the previous owner.

A magnum has beefier internals but the problem with the transmission usually stem from slamming it from gear to gear under power at high rpm's. The syncros, shifting forks and shift drums usually take the brunt of the abuse not the gears themselves which are constant mesh nor the shafts. In that case a magnum will be just a vulnerable that a Cobra spec T56.

The magnum is a nice upgrade but don't think it can't use updates. Mine has upgraded shifting forks, thrust pads and syncros and cost $3600. I would pull yours apart and see what's wrong before you shell out money for a new one. If its all torn up inside get a new one. Then again the gears and shafts are in good shape and all the stuff I mentioned are shot it may be a lot cheaper (about $600 in parts) to rebuild what you have and you can do the upgrades I mentioned and have a slick shifting gearbox.

Liberty Gear or D&D is a good place to start.

specizripn

Established Member
Yeah SlowSVT sorry I should have been more clear. I'm the 3rd owner. I've never taken the car to the strip. I've slammed gears maybe twice ever. I always rev match on down shifts. I shift like a grandma. Car has 80k miles. Anyway although my tranny is pretty worn, it still works so I am not in a huge hurry. I'll keep doing research so I don't have to beat this topic anymore. Thanks guys

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yeah SlowSVT sorry I should have been more clear. I'm the 3rd owner. I've never taken the car to the strip. I've slammed gears maybe twice ever. I always rev match on down shifts. I shift like a grandma. Car has 80k miles. Anyway although my tranny is pretty worn, it still works so I am not in a huge hurry. I'll keep doing research so I don't have to beat this topic anymore. Thanks guys

No need for apologies. There are people who make unsubstantiated claims where other readers who may not be "in the know" buy into it. I was probably a little harsh but I just wanted to squash any notion that the T56 is not up to the job (like I said it's almost always the driver which unfortunately your finding out the hard way).

If the gearbox is giving you grief I would remove it and inspect it ASAP so more damage can't be inflicted on it it could be an inexpensive fix. Post your finding and pics here. Manual gear boxes are not as difficult to work with than you think. Not a bad job removing it either.

specizripn

Established Member
I will do that when I get some time. I'm not afraid to tear apart a transmission, I have just been going on the mentality that when it breaks I will just replace it with an upgraded unit, but opening it up and inspecting is probably a better idea than me being ignorant lol. :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I will do that when I get some time. I'm not afraid to tear apart a transmission, I have just been going on the mentality that when it breaks I will just replace it with an upgraded unit, but opening it up and inspecting is probably a better idea than me being ignorant lol. :beer:

In this hobby you learn by doing and will learn even more by your mistakes. I would just pull the input shaft cover only and inspect it for major damage without pulling the gear cluster out if possible (the reason for this if you bring it to someone they will need to see the state of the gearbox which is harder to do if it's been pulled apart). First thing to look at are the syncro faces and see if they are chewed-up and look for bent forks but your ability to see that stuff may be limited inside the case. Something tells me your gears and shafts are fine based on the problems you described. If there are metal filings all over the place chances are it has scored the hell out of every sliding surface and I would be thinking about a replacement. Drain the oil out first and save it in a large clear container to inspect the it and hopefully that's all that comes out. It should take about 2 hours getting the tranny out of the car. Is this your DD?

specizripn

Established Member
Yes this is my DD. A few months ago a friend and I pulled the tranny and swapped in a 26 spline input shaft. My dial indicator gave me absolutely no play in the shaft at all with the stock shim, so I know I didn't mess anything up. When I did the install i did look inside the case and didn't see any damage. I also changed the fluid and the old fluid seemed fine, it was the right color and I couldn't find a metal shaving. Also there have been no new or worsening noises since I did this. I put in GM Synchromax upon recommendation, but that didn't change anything. I don't know when i'll be able to drop the tranny again, because this is my only car.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
the first mod you need to do is a new daily driver...seriously go buy like a $2000 beater. Just because you can DD a Terminator doesn't mean it makes sense monetarily or just generally. I learned the hard way in High School having a high performance daily just isn't cost effective or smart.

SlowSVT

Established Member
the first mod you need to do is a new daily driver...seriously go buy like a $2000 beater. Just because you can DD a Terminator doesn't mean it makes sense monetarily or just generally. I learned the hard way in High School having a high performance daily just isn't cost effective or smart.

This is good advice. Never depend on a modded car for reliable transportation. This car should be considered as a "toy" and left in the garage when not playing with it or modding it even more.

mach1033

Established Member

This is very true. Just like the hustlers code of " don't get high off your own supply" holds true for a daily driver. Don't mod your every day ride. I speak from experience I had an 89 GT 347 stroker with a Paxton that I used as a dd lmfao!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread