IMRC plates and 4:10s

Chuckieduck

Established Member
I picked up my 96 Mystic a couple weeks ago and it already had 4:10s installed. My only problem is it seems to have less power down low than my 97 did with no gear. It only has 255 tires on it now and you have to dump the clutch with a good amount of throttle to get any tire spin and not much if anything when going to second. She will get up to 7K pretty quick but not what I would expect. The one thing I have noticed is that I haven't noticed the IMRC plates open up. On my 96 you could tell when they opened up. Same thing on my 05. But I never feel that change. I don't know if I'm missing it because the tack moves so quick or that I'm right at that rpm when I shift fears that the plates are already opening. My 97 seems like it actually had more power except for when I'm around 60. My 96 feels like it pulls harder and has more power. If the plates aren't working could this be why I don't feel like it has the amount of power it should?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Well do you know if they could've already been deleted? With properly working IMRC plates you should have more low end torque, which is the whole reason for them in the B heads, but with deletes you'll have less low end and more top end. If they aren't functioning properly then that would definitely slow you down in top end. But honestly something sounds wrong there if its that hard for you to get tire spin. When my vert was stock performance wise, I could spin my 315 Nittos easy in first, and they would still squeal shifting to second.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Also interested in this topic. I don't feel my 4.10's like everyone claimed I would. They feel okay but not crazy fast like I was told it would be. I sort of feel that it felt faster with no gears from lets say 20 mph and punching it. Very odd.

I think you can check them from the engine bay towards the back? Can't recall but I remember something of the sort. No idea though.

CzchMex

Established Member
Interested as well. Is there a way to test to see if there working?

You have to reach behind the engine below the intake and feel for something that feels like your throttle cable lever at the throttle body. Rev the engine and feel to see if that lever moves.

I too do not think its just your gears and IMRC plates. Something else is causing you to think there is no power.

I can spin my 315s as well. But again I have plates and stock gearing

Chuckieduck

Established Member
I did some feeling around and when I ran my finger down the drivers side cable it pulled right out of the tube. So the drivers side at least is not attached. Did not get my hand to feel the other cable because the engine was too hot. Either way I guess deletes need to be installed. Not worried about loosing any low end power since I have 4:10s. Now just to find the time.

Datswhatshesaid

Established Member
if u can get to them (its a royal pita to get to them but can be done) zip tie them open and see how much it changes. i did it on mine cuz my controler kept messing up and not oppening them. made a big differnce up top. but where theres less timing down low cuz its reading that they're open its kinda slugish under 3200 but i have 3.73s. im hoping when my 4.10s go in this week it will help some.

Chuckieduck

Established Member
I wired my plates open yesterday and then took it for a spin. Now that's what I'm talking about!! Completely different car. I can tell there is a little difference down low, but seeing where I have 4:10s all I need to do is change my shift point a tad. Hell, it doesn't stay below 3K long enough to notice with that gear anyway. One thing is for sure, when I go with a Procharger I will probably have to change the gear or get some massive meats.

Chuckieduck

Established Member
One side worked fine and the other sides cable was broken. I'm guessing that the plates are spring loaded closed so I wired them open (against spring tension). I had a code before I did that, but disconnected battery and engine light went out. Engine light hasn't come back in since I wired the plates open.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Interesting, I'll have to test mine out by zip tiein them open. Any chance you can upload pictures of the area? I haven't messed with IMRC's before lol. Mine feels sluggish as well.

Datswhatshesaid

Established Member
it would b hard to get a pic due to where there at but u can reach behind the intake and feel them. they feel like a throttle body does when u open it with ur hand. follow the 2 black cables down to the plates. i had to take the intake cover off to get to them. its not the easist thing and def not comfortable but u can do it with some time.

Oceanside78

Established Member
it would b hard to get a pic due to where there at but u can reach behind the intake and feel them. they feel like a throttle body does when u open it with ur hand. follow the 2 black cables down to the plates. i had to take the intake cover off to get to them. its not the easist thing and def not comfortable but u can do it with some time.

I'd like a heads up too. I'm not sure where to zip tie them to. Mine are sticking closed and I have no balls anymore compared to when I bought it a couple months ago. I could tell there was the kick, but now, nothing. Just pulls to redline (which feels like forever at that)

Question though, is this going to ruin my tunes effects by zip tying them open?

Thanks

1989Gt.

Banned
When you look behind the motor there are two bronze plates thatvonly open 1 way just feel around

Oceanside78

Established Member
When you look behind the motor there are two bronze plates thatvonly open 1 way just feel around

Ok, so just crack em all the way open and zip tie em up? I'm going to seafoam the hell outta my motor tomorrow along with plugs and wires and zip these bad boys open so I can get my freakin top end back

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I just felt behind the intake and found the cables, they're pretty thick, and had my wife slowly rev up my engine. Around 3200 rpm or so I could feel the cable's move and knew they were working just fine. It's almost identical to a bicycle brake cable.

Users who are viewing this thread