Imrc

therzl

Established Member
I own a 96 Cobra. I'm considering removing the IMRC and installing delete plates. I was told by a local auto-shop that doing this would require "burning a new chip" in order for the car's computer to acknowledge the absence of the IMRC. Is this true and necessary? Is implanting a new chip simply a way to prevent check-engine codes from appearing on the dash-console? It's $550 to burn-in a chip; which I can't afford. Any comments/suggestions?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
yes its needed unless you tie off the cables and trick the computer into thinking htey are stil attached, but first off find a new place as you should be able to get a syno tune and a handheld tuner for that price and they can bump the timing in the lower rpms to make upo for it.

I am doing this next week as I am installing a short runner and my IMRC's so happen to be acting up, I was gonna delete them anyways but now I have a legitimate reason

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Yeah your going need a retune! They are crazy 550!
Amazon will hook you up with a programmer and 2 tunes for $399. The retune will restore some of you low end power and tell the computer they are missing. I hope you have 4.30 gears! I hope your getting a shortrunner too!
The deletes by themselves are ok because the headache they cause if not deleted is not worth the time you spend cleaning them. The short runner done right will shine with the deletes.

MYSLO4-6

SVT97
Established Member
Not to hijack the thread but my IMRC's are acting up too and was thinking about zip tie and deletes also. But my question is who do you use for short runner intake??? :shrug: I have a extra upper and lower intake of off another 97' Cobra I can use. Do you send them off to get done or do you just buy it already done?? What do you think of those MMR intake spacers also??? Just FYI I plan to stay NA no power adders for me. All motor!!! Thanks for your help!!! :beer:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
For people who can't afford an IMRC delete tune or just want to do something quick and dirty, I have reconstructed the IMRC Delete Relay Circuit that used to be at http://home.hawaii.rr.com/hfpc/imrc/.

I am 99% sure this will work, but I need someone to build it and test it. With the help of 20psi, I wrote a how-to on it that explains how the IMRC controller works and how to build a relay circuit that fools the PCM into thinking the IMRCs are still there when they are gone.

You can read the how-to at IMRC Delete Relay Circuit.

Again, I need a volunteer to build and test this circuit.

Thanks.

Toasty

Established Member
I own a 96 Cobra. I'm considering removing the IMRC and installing delete plates. I was told by a local auto-shop that doing this would require "burning a new chip" in order for the car's computer to acknowledge the absence of the IMRC. Is this true and necessary? Is implanting a new chip simply a way to prevent check-engine codes from appearing on the dash-console? It's $550 to burn-in a chip; which I can't afford. Any comments/suggestions?

I doubt anyone burns chips for our cars anymore now that the OBD-II flash tools are popular (multi bank flip chips notwithstanding). It would recommended to get a 'tune' which is flashed to your PCM (aka computer) from a competent tuner. If your shop is talking about a piggy back chip for a 96-98 cobra I'd be hesistant to deal with them.

Users who are viewing this thread