In bind need a little advice....

stubbs

Established Member
Ok some of you may know that on Saturday my plug blew out of the head if you dont know...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219873 this will help a little bit. Well my question is that I love my truck but it has given me nothing but problems, its a 2002 true blue, I am going to get rid of it, well the dealership, the warranty company, and Ford will not pay for the damages, and I will want another lightning, and there is a 2002 silver I can get for $20000 wil 26,000 miles on it should I trade my True Blue one for the silver or what? I need a little help. Thanks if I confused you guys Im sorry.

Tj

Noisycow

Mods B4 Food and Water
Established Member
The 2002 might just have the same problem. The newer heads did not come around until 2003. Maybe you could get your hands on some 2003+ heads at a wrecking yard? If it has given you nothing but problems, does it have high miles? I know some vehicles just don't seem to run right from day one. I hate to see the stealership deny all help and then rip you off on a trade in. My 2001 has 2003 heads. I would never want to drive around with pre-2003 heads - just asking for it on a long trip.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Sounds like you already made up you mind. Either way you still are driving a Lightning.

I would keep the blue one and fix it right. Like Noisycow said, change the heads and your set!

FordFanStan

Established Member
Ive seearched this topic quite a bit due to that fact this just happened to me only a couple months ago. I decided to go with aftermarket heads, while i was replacing both and they are guarunteed not to blow any plugs now, it was still cheaper than having ford replace just one head and not warranting the new head, plus still the possiblity of having it happen to the other head. Also as far as the thread inserts go, Ford tried this themselves quite a bit at alot of the diffrerent stealerships, although almost all came back from blowing out the thread insert, so now they only replace the whole head. There are some companies still installing thread inserts for alot cheaper, and they guarantee it too, but in my own opinion thats just a temp. fix. I know Dante down here in so cal will do that for only $400. Also if your going to do it yourself or a local shop do it, search Time-serts. Those are the best inserts to date. I decided to just have my whole engine rebuilt with new heads,cams etc.. now I shouldnt have any problems at all.... hope that info helps you some, any other questions feel free to Pm... Stan

lytningpj

Yt Lytning
Established Member
I'm in the same boat at the same time. Blew a plug out yesterday and Ford wants $1100 for the head itself. There's a link when you first come to Gen 2 L's...

Sticky: Oem Ford parts 10% over cost ( 1 2 3 4 )
FORDSVTPARTS

He has the best price I've seen out there for OEM equipment. If you want high perf heads then research others, but Steve gave me the price I can't turn down. I was also told if you have a lot of dealings and are in good with the dealersips, they have a "P05" code that helps pay for the installation and maybe the head. This is just a rumor that I haven't confirmed yet, but try itout and see.

Oh yeah, change both if you can afford it. Hate to see the same happen two weeks later to the left(but all I have heard was on the right, second to rear).

unclemole

Established Member
Noisycow said:
I would never want to drive around with pre-2003 heads - just asking for it on a long trip.

:bs: 90k miles on the '01 with 4lb/chip/filter/ftvb, never a problem. If plugs are not installed properly they'll blow out, if they are done right-they don't.

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Oil Man said:
Sounds like you already made up you mind. Either way you still are driving a Lightning.

I would keep the blue one and fix it right. Like Noisycow said, change the heads and your set!
+1

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Throw in an insert and trade it in at another dealer. Otherwise you'll take a BATH.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Here's what I would do. I blew a plug out on my Silver '02 when it was still under warranty and the dealer handled it. If it were to happen again, I would suck it up and buy upgraded heads. Maybe something from JLP that has had some work done with some cams. I would also do the work myself to save some cake. It might be much more expensive, but at least your doing something to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread