In my eyes my car is.....

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
JUNK!

I’m tired of having a Pusstang.
Besides putting the ever so popular and EXPENSIVE KB on my 01’ GT what can I do?

I am trying to stay under $2000 bucks.

I already have:
Roush front valance, Baer front breaks w/ 15” rotors, Eibach 1-1/2” drop, BBK timing adjuster, BBK CAI, 70mm Tb, Trick Flow plenum, sub frames, Off-Road h-pipe w/ 1-chamber flows, MGW orange handle shifter.

I’m leaning towards maybe heads, cams or maybe even a small SC but I don’t have a clue about any of them. Do they make them to fit in my price range? I would be happy with a +60 rwhp number for now. I have friends that can install almost anything for me but I don’t want to bug the hell out of them trying to figure out what I need.

I am getting to the point of where I’m no longer scared of internal engine mods, but I realize this gets expensive. Any ideas of what I can do for the best bang for my buck.
I know everyone is going to scream GEARS!!! But I really don’t want them; I have been told it makes launching at the strip harder because of the excessive spin.

The whole thing that started this rant was last night my buddy got his 03 Cobra back from the shop and took me for a ride. He has had the car a total of 2 weeks and is already pushing 600rwhp!!! I soon realized my car is junk. Now I am pissed and ready to get back to work on my car. Any advice, lists, info would be great.

Also does anyone know of any Magazines like Jegs or summit but based solely on Mustangs?

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I'm surprised you didn't pick any power up with that roush front end bumer cover. Just kidding.

F#ck Kennebell as far as I'm concerned. You could spend half the price on a vortec and make just as much power. Also, how do you not have any gears? Your car makes all it's power in the higher RPM's and you're stuck with 3.27's. What the hell is an MGW orange handle shifter? Is just just an orange shifter handle? Do you have a stick or an auto?

Yeah, gears make your car harder to launch because they get the RPM's up quicker and put you in your powerband faster than stock gears. Now, if you think that's a bad thing, maybe you should sell your car and buy a civic so you won't have that problem.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
BLOWN PONY said:
JUNK!

I’m tired of having a Pusstang.
Besides putting the ever so popular and EXPENSIVE KB on my 01’ GT what can I do?

I am trying to stay under $2000 bucks.

I already have:
Roush front valance
Thats the problem dude. If you went with the cobra r valance, you would have gained more hp than the roush.

procs2v

Established Member
I have a dryshoot on my car and I would ran a kb gt with the same mods anyday. NITROUS is what you want.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Yeah, sorry bout the Roush valence thing I was coping and pasting off my old sig. The MGW shifter is the type of short throw i have in it. It is a 5-speed, If you look in pretty much any mag, you can see an ad for it.

I don't know for some reason gears just don't appeal to me.
I am looking more towards the engine mods. I guess I just want to know the other options that are open to me besides then gears...

As for the mention of the Civic I puke in your general direction...

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Wow, sence when did this become Smack Down????

Ok, I F**Ked up, sorry, give me a break.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
I'd go for cams and some nitrous. That way you have some power both daily and then when you need that little extra. Not to mention you get the cam lope that is always a plus. Granted I put quite a bit of money into my car, but it's damn fast, putting 600rwhp at 14psi and I still have 60lb injectors waiting to be put in it and making even more horsepower at the same boost level. (I'm maxing out 50lb injectors right now). If you consider holding on to your car for a loooong time..then you might want to forge the internals. Otherwise it will just be a waste of money in the long run.

trance565

Established Member
heads cams, pulleys, exhaust, timing adjuster (if you dont get cames), gears, you can get a vortech off ebay for like 2400ish, i think.

Lances03GT

Has a Cobra now
Established Member
Gear's are one of the best mod's for a N/A GT!!

They should be one of your first.The 3.27's are junk.It's hard for me to understand how gear's don't appeal to someone.You would be alot happier if you had some 4:10's in it to wake it up.

Last edited:

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I give, I give,
Gears are next for the car....

Thank you,
keep them comming...

thasalvoo

GEARS GEARS GEARS.... i have 4:10s and love them. your car will feel night and day.. i was thinking of selling my motor complete with 25k miles on it..... just tossing the idea around

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
I'm surprised you didn't pick any power up with that roush front end bumer cover. Just kidding.

F#ck Kennebell as far as I'm concerned. You could spend half the price on a vortec and make just as much power. Also, how do you not have any gears? Your car makes all it's power in the higher RPM's and you're stuck with 3.27's. What the hell is an MGW orange handle shifter? Is just just an orange shifter handle? Do you have a stick or an auto?

hmmm If you put 2 cars next to each other, one has your beloved vortec at 400whp and the other has a KB at 400whp... The KB car will murder the vortec car...The power is completely different. The Vortec only makes power up top while the KB makes power the whole time.
In my 415whp KB car I easily beat 500whp Vortec or procharged cars. Thats why KB and whipples are so expensive and popular. They are just hands down better.

And Blown pony if you only want to spend 2K just get gears and a 75 shot and it will be a completely different car..:thumbsup: GL

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
And Blown pony if you only want to spend 2K just get gears and a 75 shot and it will be a completely different car.. GL

Any suggestions on what kit,
75 shot = no damage?

HoustonGT

Established Member
SQ Stang said:
I'd go for cams and some nitrous. That way you have some power both daily and then when you need that little extra. Not to mention you get the cam lope that is always a plus. Granted I put quite a bit of money into my car, but it's damn fast, putting 600rwhp at 14psi and I still have 60lb injectors waiting to be put in it and making even more horsepower at the same boost level. (I'm maxing out 50lb injectors right now). If you consider holding on to your car for a loooong time..then you might want to forge the internals. Otherwise it will just be a waste of money in the long run.
Sorry to go OT, but where did you get your engine work done? Did you just buy a built block or buy the internals separately and have a shop do the work? I noticed you were in Houston and i want to go the forged and blown route, so i was wondering who did your work and how much since you have one of the highest HP GT's ive seen. Feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance
Mike,
SEMPER FI

trance565

Established Member
BLOWN PONY said:
Any suggestions on what kit,
75 shot = no damage?

75 shot, no damage for a while, i would still suggest getting it tuned for any sort of nitrous usage and a window switch is always good too.

Users who are viewing this thread