In my eyes my car is.....

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
129saleen said:
hmmm If you put 2 cars next to each other, one has your beloved vortec at 400whp and the other has a KB at 400whp... The KB car will murder the vortec car...The power is completely different. The Vortec only makes power up top while the KB makes power the whole time.
In my 415whp KB car I easily beat 500whp Vortec or procharged cars. Thats why KB and whipples are so expensive and popular. They are just hands down better.

And Blown pony if you only want to spend 2K just get gears and a 75 shot and it will be a completely different car..:thumbsup: GL

It's not the name that makes that power, it's the fact that it's a roots blower. Honestly, it's not worth spending the extra three grand for 500 more rpms of boost.

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
It's not the name that makes that power, it's the fact that it's a roots blower. Honestly, it's not worth spending the extra three grand for 500 more rpms of boost.

Its not a roots blower its a twin-screw, which is different...

Intercooled KB kit = 5000
Intercooled Centri Style= 4000

Used KB = 3500
Used Centri= 2500

The extra 1K is worth it...

And 500 Rpms more, cmon man. Its at top boost right when you floor it with a KB and a Centri Style has to get up to like 4700-5K rpms to be near full boost...

Have you seen dyno sheets between the 2 types of SC's?????

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
What is the basic difference in operating principle between the Twin Screw, Roots type and centrifugals? All superchargers make good "peak" horsepower given the same boost level. Superchargers pump more air into the engine than it can normally use with the atmosphere's 14.7 psi boost. Hence the supercharger builds up back pressure (boost). The twin screw and Roots type are "positive displacement" superchargers and build the same boost at any rpm 2000 up. However, it is a well known fact that size for size the twin screw is much more efficient than the Roots type (lower discharge temp and less parasitic loss). The centrifugal is not a positive displacement type. It is essentially a belt, ball or gear driven turbocharger which pumps relatively little air flow at the low and mid range rpm bands. It depends solely on engine rpm to build boost.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Yeah, I've seen dyno charts of different blowers on cobras. The torque and hp is peaked out way before and holds there longer than centrifugal types. I'm pretty sure though, the quickest non-turbo terminators are procharged ones though. I'm sure the procharger kit is really expensive though. I don't kennebell's are trash or anything, they're just expensive as hell.

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
procs2v said:
129saleen how fast is your car in the 1/4?

Last time I went I ran 2- 11.7s @ 118 on street tires:cuss: ... Im trying to get some ET streets and hopefully will get around 11.4-5's:pepper: ...

poopnut2 said:
I don't kennebell's are trash or anything, they're just expensive as hell.

Ya Ill agree they are expensive :shrug:

procs2v

Established Member
129saleen said:
Last time I went I ran 2- 11.7s @ 118 on street tires:cuss: ... Im trying to get some ET streets and hopefully will get around 11.4-5's:pepper: ...

Is it a stock motor or do you have h/c as well? If it's a stock motor that is very fast for a stock motor 2v. And is it full weight?

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
procs2v said:
Is it a stock motor or do you have h/c as well? If it's a stock motor that is very fast for a stock motor 2v. And is it full weight?

No its not a stock motor.. Its a built block w/ JE Pistons, Manley Rods, Cobra Crank, Etc:....And my avg weight with the times was 3550lbs...

All my mods are the KB, LTs, exhaust, CAI, 90mmLMAF, o/r H, and predator tune..My motor is built and my rear-end is built as well...

I will have a 75shot of nitrous soon and hope to be in the high 10's :burnout:

And BLOWN PONY if you get 4:10s and n20 you will be in the low 12's maybe high 11's...There are many people on here that run 75 shots w/ the stock motor and they have been fine..If you go any highe then a 75 shot though I would recommend a good tune... What have you decided to do??

I8URLS1

Established Member
HAHA I like the guy that said LS1 swap... That would be the best mod. But being realistic I'd say pick up a centrifigual u can find them CHEAP... Like 1800-2k if u keep yours eyes open... I'd go with a 3.73 or a 3.90 with the 5 speed. My buddy has had 3.90's for a while and is sick of how high it revs on the highway and with his S trim he just runs out of gear too fast now. But u could spend under or around 1,000 and do gears/nitrous

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I have been on vacation for the last week, thrusday I will call on a gear install, I think I will go with the 3:37's, i can run with that untill I get board then bump some juice... I ran at a 1/8th mile strip and ran an 8.78 at 82mph with stock tires, does anyone know what that converts to for an 1/4 mile???

thanks for all the help.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
trance565 said:
from what i can tell, a 8.5 turns to about a 12.9? so im guessing about 13.3-13.5qt

are those pretty decent numbers for my mods on a 1/4 mile?

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
BLOWN PONY said:
are those pretty decent numbers for my mods on a 1/4 mile?

Those are good numbers w/your mods...When you get the gears Ill guarantee you will hit the 12's...

Get some tires and w/ the gears you could probably get high 12's consistantly..

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
OK, one last question. Around what mph does third gear run out at with a 3:37 / 4:10?:read:
The reason im asking is because I still want to be able to stab 3rd while runing down the interstate.

Last question. I promise

I would have the gears already but I am on vacation :rockon:

procs2v

Established Member
trance565 said:
from what i can tell, a 8.5 turns to about a 12.9? so im guessing about 13.3-13.5qt

8.50 are in the 13.20 to 13.30 range not 12.90's. I go 13.30@102 and 8.40to8.50@79mph. A good 60's is going to kill his mph. A 2v wont back half that much of a difference on motor with out headers.(stockmotor) 8.78@82mph should be in the 13.50 range.

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
BLOWN PONY said:
OK, one last question. Around what mph does third gear run out at with a 3:37 / 4:10?:read:
The reason im asking is because I still want to be able to stab 3rd while runing down the interstate.

Last question. I promise

I would have the gears already but I am on vacation :rockon:

I think my 3rd gear ends around 80-85 w/ the 3:73s...Not 100% though, could be higher..

IBleedBlue

a.k.a ReaperAZ
Established Member
When I put my Vortech in, it wasn't to have the fastest car on the planet. I did it for the grin factor I get when I drive. There's always going to be a faster car out there, it's that simple. Get what you can afford and what makes you happy.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
procs2v said:
8.50 are in the 13.20 to 13.30 range not 12.90's. I go 13.30@102 and 8.40to8.50@79mph. A good 60's is going to kill his mph. A 2v wont back half that much of a difference on motor with out headers.(stockmotor) 8.78@82mph should be in the 13.50 range.

How can my MPH be so much higher but my times be so much slower?
8.87 @ 82 MPH ?

I appoligize for these questions I know they are pretty dumb but It's the only way to learn..

Thanks

procs2v

Established Member
your are spinning off the line given you more mph. I get low 1.80 to high 1.70 60' time. Ride the clutch and then dump. I should be in the low 1.70 to high 1.60 but can't do it, I think I try harder when I am on spray then when I race on motor. I get low 1.60 on spray.

Users who are viewing this thread