In need of a new clutch...

Stein03Cobra

Established Member
I have an 03 10th Anni. Conv. I had it dyno'd at 440rwhp and 444tq. I am getting a lot of slippage and chatter when taking off from a stop. When i put my foot into it in higher gears it revs more than it accelerates and i get a nice wiff of burning clutch. I also can hear a squeak that when i push in on the clutch it goes away and once i let out on the clutch whether it be in neutral or gear, it comes back. I am assuming the clutch is going and in need of a new one. Ive never had to swap a clutch before so looking for a place to start. From what i have read and all, i am looking at the Spec Stage 3+. What all do i need outside of getting the clutch kit? I have a good friend who can swap it out for me but if i want it done professionally, what kind of $$$ are we talking? So to recap, here are the questions i am looking to get answered:

1. Am I correct that i need a new clutch or should i be looking at something else as well?
2. What is the squeak that goes away when i push in the clutch?
3. Stage 3+ right for me? (more power will be added down the road)
4. What all do i need to purchase to get this done?
5. Friend or professional?
6. What cost am i looking at?

Thanks for any help...

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
1. Am I correct that i need a new clutch or should i be looking at something else as well?
2. What is the squeak that goes away when i push in the clutch?
3. Stage 3+ right for me? (more power will be added down the road)
4. What all do i need to purchase to get this done?
5. Friend or professional?
6. What cost am i looking at?

Thanks for any help...

1. Yes, your clutch is on the way out and needs to be replaced.

2. The squeak you described is the TOB; the contact point is out-of-whack. The TOB needs to be replaced, too.

3. There are so many different types of clutches depending on your needs, i.e. how much is "more power added down the road", and do you go to the track or not, and if so, how often? The pros and cons of each is something that you need to research and decide. Personally, I like my McLeod RST (or you can go with RXT if you plan on big power in the future). Why? Because the twin disc clutch feels/shifts so softly -the clutch pedal is literally like a honda or toyota- but it can hold substantial power. There are many posts from members detailing their various clutch experiences, so go check it out!

4. The clutch of your choice; new flywheel or resurface your current one; Ford TOB; Ford Pilot bearing; many people recommend the Lethal Perf. sleeve for protection - I added it when I did my clutch recently. Also, depending on your future power plans, many people recommend upgrading the input shaft to 26 spline -this upgrade I didn't do as I don't plan on adding more power to my car. My 10 spline shaft looked perfect when we inspected it. But, keep in mind, I do not take my car to the track, or beat the hell out of it. On the other hand, if I did track my car, I would change to 26 spline. Other than that, maybe a new Ford cable if yours is worn/stretched out. Oh, and a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant if you don't already have one. I guess that's it assuming your fork and pivot ball are still ok, as well.

5. I guess that depends on how knowledgeable your friend is when it comes to clutches...

6. Depends on what type of clutch you choose, if you buy a new flywheel or just resurface, and if you upgrade your input shaft or not...the cost for parts can vary dramatically depending on which route you go and what you want to upgrade; Most shops in my area seem to charge about 4 hours labor for a clutch install...but again, that can vary depending on your location.

I hope that helped. Best of luck. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread