In the market 13/14 or 11/12 and 5k for mods?

SVT-DADDY

Established Member
I am in the market for a GT500 vert. It seems the 13' and 14' cars are going for least 10k more than the 11' and 12' cars. I am not very concerned with the age as most of the cars have low miles anyway.

Since I plan to tinker with the car anyway am I missing out on anything but getting an 11 or 12, saving 10k and swapping a TVS for under 4k? Power would be comparable and I'd still have 6k in my pocket.

Other than the extra 100+ horse is the car that much better in any other ways?

Any threads or articles you could point me to would be great. Thanks Steve

RBB

Established Member
Tough call. If you buy the 13/14 are you not going to have the resources to mod it at all, and how important is that to you? There's not a whole lot of difference (some will disagree here), power wise, between the 11/12 and the 13/14 once you bolt a TVS onto the 11/12.

Personally, I'd buy a 12 with the Recaros and start modding with the extra $10K, but I really enjoy spending time out in the garage.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Tough call. If you buy the 13/14 are you not going to have the resources to mod it at all, and how important is that to you? There's not a whole lot of difference (some will disagree here), power wise, between the 11/12 and the 13/14 once you bolt a TVS onto the 11/12.

Personally, I'd buy a 12 with the Recaros and start modding with the extra $10K, but I really enjoy spending time out in the garage.

I agree 100%.

I prefer Gen 1 bodies and put the 13/14 stuff on it.

Now you're not gonna get all the bells and whistles like launch control etc but I prefer to drive my car, not have it driven for me.

merkyworks

Established Member
Would the 13/14 hold better value over time because its got all the extra bells and whistles and it was the only 2 years with the 5.8?

Last edited:

1st usa car

Established Member
I got 2011 vert -- have about 3k in mods, (2nd hand parts and patience for great deals) -- got more power than a 2013 and lots of extra cash. No regrets !!

sono

Established Member
Stay off the forums and you will be happy with an 11 or 12. If you frequent these forums you will end up building your 11-12 into a 13 anyway, so you might as well buy a 13 up front and save the cash on mods down the road. Most of us cant out drive an 11 or 12 it's just the sickness sets in quick for faster, stronger, better BS.

STACKZ89

Established Member
I just was in the same boat... I went with a loaded 12 low miles with recaros and I'm just modding it...

SVT-DADDY

Established Member
Stay off the forums and you will be happy with an 11 or 12. If you frequent these forums you will end up building your 11-12 into a 13 anyway, so you might as well buy a 13 up front and save the cash on mods down the road. Most of us cant out drive an 11 or 12 it's just the sickness sets in quick for faster, stronger, better BS.

Aint that the truth!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a really good question and I came across a thread very recently that talked about the same thing. I am in the market now for a Shelby (Sold my '04 in sig). I looked at this kinda the same way you did...13/14 for $10,000 more....etc?

I found this thread....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...dering-a-2011-2013-GT500-Questions&highlight=

I'm gonna go with a 2012. It will still allow me to personalize it the way I want. I think the 13 is way to close to "complete" and that takes the fun out of making that car payment every month. Part of the fun with this hobby is being in the garage, and playing with the car. $40,000 is in my budget plus I will have a few dollars per month left over.

I look at it like this. I would rather pay less on a car payment and obligate money towards mods, than obligate money for a car payment and not have any mod money, if that makes sense.

Now, anyone got a 2012 Kona Blue with White Stripe package for sale?

Last edited:

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Sold my modded 750rwhp 2010 for a stock 2013 and is happy with the decision. Definitely get the 13-14 if, and that's a BIG if, it doesn't set you too far back financially.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
This is a really good question and I came across a thread very recently that talked about the same thing. I am in the market now for a Shelby (Sold my '04 in sig). I looked at this kinda the same way you did...13/14 for $10,000 more....etc?

I found this thread....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...dering-a-2011-2013-GT500-Questions&highlight=

I'm gonna go with a 2012. It will still allow me to personalize it the way I want. I think the 13 is way to close to "complete" and that takes the fun out of making that car payment every month. Part of the fun with this hobby is being in the garage, and playing with the car. $40,000 is in my budget plus I will have a few dollars per month left over.

I look at it like this. I would rather pay less on a car payment and obligate money towards mods, than obligate money for a car payment and not have any mod money, if that makes sense.

I couldn't agree more.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Would the 13/14 hold better value over time because its got all the extra bells and whistles and it was the only 2 years with the 5.8?

Not necessarily. The '11/'12 and '13/'14 will hold value the same, relative to their respective MSRPs. If someone is going to be looking at engine "special-ness," they should remember the '11/'12 has the same engine as the '05/'06 Ford GT. Power-wise, you can make the same power out of both engines. The Trinity doesn't have a head-and-shoulders advantage over the Condor. So unless somebody really wants the electronic gimmickry of the '13/'14, they really can't go wrong with either car. That said, prudent money would go toward the '11/'12.

Last edited:

SVT-DADDY

Established Member
Very well said. Modding the car is half the fun. I want to make it mine. The 11/12 serves my budget better and I can mod it slowly. Think I've made up my mind!

I found this thread....

Users who are viewing this thread