Incorrect, Bogus or trumped up information

dlong

Established Member
I have a love / hate affair with this whole site, due to the fact that everyone has an opinion
based on his or her biased subjective information. I am fairly new to this site and have
found a lot of very usual information as well as a lot or CRAP. I don’t believe everything I read on this site as some of you do until I can investigate the info for myself.

It really amazes me to see the amount of incorrect, bogus information that is passed around this site. All someone has to do is post on this site that there 03 Cobra blew-up
and it is Ford’s fault. They will say that the car sucks and it is not worth the money they
paid for it. The truth be known it was probably due to some mod they performed on the
car that they read about on this or some other forum from someone they do not even know.

There are numerous posts of people using Predators to modify their computers without one ounce of knowledge or experience. "Let's see if I push this button and add this much timing, A/F etc. then my car will be the fastest in the world" They are the one’s that will scream the loudest and hold Ford responsible when something goes wrong. Some people do have legitimate issues or grips with their cars, but the vast majority of the issues voiced on this site only relate one side of the story and only what the poster wants you to know. Often times leaving out valuable or incriminating information. Take the tire controversy, everyone has a different view or opinion on whether the F1 tires are good, bad, or ok. It is just that “one person’s opinion.” The 03 Cobra is one awesome automobile that can take a lot of abuse and make a lot of power. Ford will honor any problem or issues as long as the car has not been modified or abused beyond what Ford designed. They (Ford) are fully aware of the cars potential, and understand that most 03 owners will want to modify their cars. That is why they built a bulletproof bottom end. But that does not mean you can modify your engine with numerous mods raising the hp to unheard of levels and expect Ford to pay for your stupidity.
I am not picking on any one particular person or post. I am a member of various other forums as many of you are and they all have this problem. After reading numerous posts these past few months I could not hold my tongue any longer. Anyone can read into this what he or she wants and some may take offense. Those that take offense will most likely be the one’s that are highly modified and experiencing the most problems. So be it. I’ll close with this advice. “Investigate and research everything. Because it is you’re hard earned money that you are spending and a $35,000 auto that you could potentially damage”

NightEnforcer

Established Member
I always say "If you want to play, be prepared to pay". I have a highly modded 03 Cobra. KB etc etc etc. I t has been a wonderful experience learning about pressures, A/F ratios, plug types etc. I know however that the responsibility falls on me and will come out of my pocket should it go boom. Until then, I am having a blast.

Last edited:

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
Dude...it's a bulletin board, a forum, people can post on here that are ten years old. I know I can tell who the winers, liars, incompetents, dweebs, and ignorant are by reading there posts. I can also tell who the knowledgeable and competent are. Flame the idiots, praise the intelligent.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Hmm...Let's see...
If I push this button and add this much timing, A/F etc. then my car will be the fastest in the world...Yes :) !

Silver 03 Cobra

You said you are new so I'd cut it some slack. It is by far not the worst board. There are a lot of people here that beat up Ford and mod their car and then expect Ford to pay for it. You'll have that with any brand. I have seen many want Ford to pay for a broken drive shaft. When I broke mine two weeks ago I called dealers around Charlotte, NC and located one. I drove down and paid them $320 total and then drove to the track and installed it. My car wore out two sets of ET Streets and broke on my new BFG DR's on the second pass. The parts guy at Ford said most have broken their differential cover more than the HS's. He said most were trying to get Ford to cover for it and a lot of them raised hell when they wouldn't. I think it shocked him I bought the thing on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Not everyone on here expects Ford to fix their cars when something goes wrong...some of us want them fixed right. ;-)

lethal

Established Member
I agree with Tracy, I bought the car and other then normal TSB's for known problems, my cars repairs will be paid for by myself. I chose this car, I chose to mod it, the warranty is applied to stock parts, used in stock manner. I still have to get the tick fixed, but I had that waaaaay before I did anything to the car. That will be a warranty item. If I snap a half shaft, that's on my dime.

predator

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Not everyone on here expects Ford to fix their cars when something goes wrong...some of us want them fixed right. ;-)

Now there is a statement worth noting! :beer: I won't even let the dealer change my oil! If I can't fix it I will go anywhere else to get the problem resolved. :)

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Don't forget about the stock guys. I broke my differential cover going around a corner. My rear end started popping while I was still in the break in period, leading to new halfshafts and hubs to fix the popping. My car had the 80 mph+ vibe from day 1. I expect Ford to pay for the deficiencies and rear end problems with my stock [K+N only] car.

As far as believing people, after you are here for a while, you start to get an idea who researches their topics and who talks off the top of their head. Nobody's perfect and opinions vary, but most of the people here write what they honestly believe to be the truth.

It's usually the newbies who make the strangest comments. When I see a post count below 50, I take what's said to be unproven until verified by other sources. After being hammered by the veterans, most new guys learn to try to be sure of what they post. This doesn't mean that experienced posters are right 100% of the time. You have to look for concurrence from several knowledgeable people on a topic before you can be reasonably sure of the "TRUTH". But the info on this site has helped me immensely. I know more about my car than most mechanics I talk to about it. A lot of that knowledge is due to this site and other sites.

So if you want the "TRUTH", don't listen to the guy with 2 posts who said Ford intentionally builds the cars to fail. Use some common sense while filtering the info on the web. Wait for something to be verified by several different sources. Never believe that just because something is on the internet, it must be true...:)

Cliff

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by 2F2F
Hmm...Let's see...
If I push this button and add this much timing, A/F etc. then my car will be the fastest in the world...Yes :) !

That button activates the one meeeeliooooooooon HP shot of nitrous. Be careful.

dlong, just to play devils advocate here, there are numerous people here on this forum with unmodified cars that blow up, and/or fall apart and ford can't and/or won't fix them. Not all of the failures on this forum are a direct result of a mod. Look at the poor guy in Chicago who had his warranty voided for a CAI because some moron tech messed up his brake lines.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's a forum. Any "gathering" place of hundreds of users will result in opinions, misinformation, etc. It's the nature of the beast. The only alternative is to have someone screen every post and we know that's not an option. Forums are use-at-your-own-risk environments. Anyone thinking otherwise is expecting way too much.

P.S. The good info presented here far outweights the misinformation. Kind of like life itself. :)

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by racerat
I love it! I've always believed that Ford should only touch my car if I trusted them to do the work right. Otherwise I would pay out of my own pocket unless the repair was more than I could afford. I've heard of too many experiences of shoddy workmanship and repeat returns for repair corrections for me to have much faith in the average dealership's ability to fix a problem right the first time.

:)

Last edited:

nj7703

Established Member
Learning is a process of gathering good and bad info. I don't think people come on to pass false info and then sit back and laugh about it. You just have to be smart about what you go thru with. I have yet to mod a thing, and won't until spring for a few reasons. The same argument holds true for any open forum, from cars, to aquarium maintenance, to home repairs. Overall, i think it's pretty cool that you hear horror stories and people share their experiences in order to keep others from not making the same mistake. Do some bitch when they kill their car at the track? of course. If i break something i don't expect Ford to fix anything. I will say part of learning is risk. If i had the balls and $$ i would bolt shit on, and see what happens. Predator? damn right, bring it on. If not for the ones that did mod, and have to redo it a few times, many of us would not consider it. I consider them pioneers, and for that i say thanks. It's you guys that took the chances so i can mod with a good track record when i am ready.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by predator
Now there is a statement worth noting! :beer: I won't even let the dealer change my oil! If I can't fix it I will go anywhere else to get the problem resolved. :)

Same here. I have not taken my car back to Ford for anything since I bought it. I had some issues when my car was stock and it was easier and faster to fix them myself then deal with there crap and issues. I have a modified ;-) Cobra and all things considered I have had very little problems with it. My car actually has better drivability now then it did the first day I owned it.

There are some individuals that I know are reliable and truthful that have had there warranties declined for crap. Like Cobra10thaniv that Ford declined his idle and surging issue because they said he ran octane booster and there only proof is a slight reddish tint on his spark plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread