JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This may or may not be new knews but here is my correspondence with Whipple:

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 7:25 PM
Subject: 2003 - 2004 Cobra Supercharger upgrade kit

I am very interested in the release of this supercharger. Any idea of when these will be on the market? I have also read a few threads on various forums that this may be a 3.3 Liter instead of a 2.3 or 2.2 as used by KB. Any idea what size it will end up to be? If it matters, my vote would be for 3.3 or least make that an available tuner SC. Thanks in advance for the info!!
Regards,

Joe Kowalkowski

Joe,

We are utilizing the 2.3L supercharger, the same as used on the new Ford GT, the 2006 Lighting and Cobras. The 3300 is actually too big for motors that aren't heavily modified. It hits the hood and requires you to change the lower crank pulley because the SC pulley has to be so large. We have run some comparison test and theres no doubt that our system will make more power per lb of boost. The kit will be released in 2-3 weeks. Our first systems have been purchased from Razors Edge Motorsports, you can contact them at 954.917.9200.

Thanks,
Dustin
Whipple Supercharger

CobraBri

Established Member
Originally posted by JPKII
We are utilizing the 2.3L supercharger, the same as used on the new Ford GT, the 2006 Lighting and Cobras

Did he just say "2006 Cobra??????" :eek:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Thanks for the info, not like we didnt have enough options as it is though lol!

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Well Hell, then in 2 years the new Cobra will be just as fast if not faster then ours after we upgrade. That would suck! Maybe Procharger is the best way to go..WTF!!! It's becoming all about HP now! The imports are gonna start coming out with something sick and nasty. I have a gut feeling....

j card

Established Member
Yeah, rumor has it that the 06 Cobra and Lightning will use the screw blower just like the GT - basically the same as the 2.3L Whipple unit. Dustin is in a position to know - he probably wasn't supposed to let this slip out.

BTW: Supposedly a pulley swap and tune on the GT is supposed to get the crank HP up into the 700 range. This was from someone who should know.

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraCCC
someone leaked the goods........:bash:

now will it be a 4.6, 5.0, or 5.4 with 3 or 4 valve heads?

I'd bet that it will be 4v and either a 4.6 or 5.0 - based on the same block we have now. I don't think the 5.4 would fit without a huge hood, and even then, it might be tight around the shock towers.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
someone leaked the goods........:bash:

now will it be a 4.6, 5.0, or 5.4 with 3 or 4 valve heads?

I have heard 3 valve from a reliable source. The source also said 3 valve on the Mustang GT a while back and was right about that...

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
The bottom line is this:

Lysholm (I do not know how to spell it correctly) had already entered into an exlusive arrangement with Whipple, period.

Kenne Bell now has to order through Whipple, or not at all. There will not be a Works blower juding by what I just heard from the horses mouth. And a new blower is being released within a month, made partially by Whipple, released through Razors Edge.

Most of the above is old news, but for those that dont know, welp, now you do.

Last edited:

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
This Tuesday *cough*

Kevin, PM me your number, I can fill you in on the entire REAL deal of whats going on. I lost your number.

CobraBri

Established Member
dont be scared of the imports, the new supra has a N/A V6.......and well the rest will always still be slow.

you sure? I hear TT V8 :eek:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
The imports are gonna start coming out with something sick and nasty. I have a gut feeling....

I think they have PLENTY out there thats pretty sick and nasty.

Oh, wait, you meant other than taste wise...

:bash:

j card

Established Member
I'd expect the Whipple 2.3l to be very similar to the KB, but it may come with a better tune as part of the kit. The Procharger is a whole different can of worms. Totally different boost curve and it will probably make the car feel very different. Expect lower bottom end torque than the KB or Whipple, but it will come on hard on the top end. It just depends on how you want to drive your car.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by Rev
The bottom line is this:

Lysholm (I do not know how to spell it correctly) had already entered into an exlusive arrangement with Whipple, period.

Kenne Bell now has to order through Whipple, or not at all. There will not be a Works blower juding by what I just heard from the horses mouth. And a new blower is being released within a month, made partially by Whipple, released through Razors Edge.

Most of the above is old news, but for those that dont know, welp, now you do.

Actually you have it backwards. KB has an exclusive deal with Opcon, who bought Lysholm.

If any excusivity is enforced, it will be Whipple buying through KB.

Supposedly the former owners of Lysholm have some ownership in the new company, so I suspect either company (KB or Whipple) will be able to buy any head unit the Opcon sells.

Details in this thread:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6453

Press release here:
http://www.opconab.com/page.asp?ppId=230&x=lay2&y=img2&lang=eng

JT

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Well then, I think we have conflicting Press Releases, because the press release that Whipple stated, states quite the contrary.

The new Whipple is supposedly 30 to 40 horsepower stronger, and please for do not ask me at what boost level. :)

Users who are viewing this thread