Info on 1999 Cobra's

JoeS197

Established Member
I'm looking into buying a 99 cobra but I had a few questions to ask before I make a final decision on the car. 1. Do 1999 and 2003 cobras share the same brakes? 2. Do 1999 cobras also have the teskid blocks like the 96-98 cobras? And 3. Is their any things I should check that arent obvious to check when I look at/test drive the car? Because I know virtually all the cars where recalled for issues but I'm guessing a few didn't make it back to ford to get the fix.:shrug:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
1. yes

2. most do. Ford claims they started putting WAP blocks into these cars, but most people find they still have a teksid block. However, if you don't plan on making UNREAL horsepower, it's a moot point.

3. They were recalled for not making advertised power. Ford reflashed the ECU, changed mufflers, and put on a different intake. The way to tell a fixed intake is there will be a blue or green (for the acid dipped or extrude honed) dot of paint on the flat bolt boss at the left front.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I'm looking into buying a 99 cobra but I had a few questions to ask before I make a final decision on the car. 1. Do 1999 and 2003 cobras share the same brakes? 2. Do 1999 cobras also have the teskid blocks like the 96-98 cobras? And 3. Is their any things I should check that arent obvious to check when I look at/test drive the car? Because I know virtually all the cars where recalled for issues but I'm guessing a few didn't make it back to ford to get the fix.:shrug:

Brakes are the same as far as I know.

Yes Teksid on all 99.

Issues for recall....Intake with left over flash casting that disturbed air flow. There should be a blue/green dot on intake for the fix.

Changed mufflers and retuned to make the 320 Crank hp advertised.

Not sure how obvious but can have diff leaks, whining from rear wheels if bearings are gone.

ABS light on, head tick, leaking at oil cooler weep hole.

Then all the normal stuff for a older car....

Some are obvious aka ABS light..maybe head ticking?

Get as much history as possible and do a VIN search

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
1. yes

2. most do. Ford claims they started putting WAP blocks into these cars, but most people find they still have a teksid block. However, if you don't plan on making UNREAL horsepower, it's a moot point.

3. They were recalled for not making advertised power. Ford reflashed the ECU, changed mufflers, and put on a different intake. The way to tell a fixed intake is there will be a blue or green (for the acid dipped or extrude honed) dot of paint on the flat bolt boss at the left front.

2. I don't think the WAPs blocks showed up until the 2001 Cobra?

JoeS197

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it :thumbsup: Ohh, another question, do these cars come equipped with the T5, T45, or the TR-3650? and which would be the best of the three in terms of strength? My dad's old 2006 GT had the TR-3650 and in my opinion shifted pretty sloppily, but I've heard it's much stronger than the T5 and T45. :shrug:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it :thumbsup: Ohh, another question, do these cars come equipped with the T5, T45, or the TR-3650? and which would be the best of the three in terms of strength? My dad's old 2006 GT had the TR-3650 and in my opinion shifted pretty sloppily, but I've heard it's much stronger than the T5 and T45. :shrug:
The 99 comes with the T-45 which I prefer over the 3650 which I wouldn't consider MUCH stronger than the 45. My car has over 500RWHP with the stock clutch and tranny

JoeS197

Established Member
Yeah I was confused because some people say only the 96-98 cars got it and some say 96-99 cars got it and some people tell me that a small portion of 01's got it.

JoeS197

Established Member
That's interesting, according to that article the aluminator 4.6l blocks are stronger than teskid blocks. I've always thought that the aluminator engines used ordinary WAP blocks from an 03-04 mach 1 but I guess not.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Have any of you guys changed to FR500 or 03/04 cobra cams and saw any noticeable gains? Or 03/04 cobra heads?

The Fr500 cams are a great, bolt in cam. I made 350rwhp with them, the FR500 intake, and ported 99 heads. It should have made more, but the stock fuel pump was maxed out at 5500 rpm. Had it kept climbing to where it should have peaked, it would have been around 370. 03/04 Cobra cams have smaller intake duration. The exhaust are the same iirc. The gain on the heads is not mind blowing. They are good to start with though so you can have them ported and not have your car down.

Users who are viewing this thread