Info on 2013 GT500

keynan

Established Member
Hey guys I'm in the market for getting a new GT500 I haven't ever bought a new car and could use everyone's input.

What's the best way to get a good deal? What did you pay and what's your interest/payments? I currently have 20K for a down payment would that be enough?

Thanks for the help everyone :banana:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Be willing to travel- start calling all over the country.

Be willing to settle on options or colors that might not be your 1st choice

Check out penfed.org for the best rates

There are countless threads in this section that will help you- check my profile and my started threads- should be a good start

Good luck

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Your down payment is plenty... If your credit is good, you wouldn't even have to put any money down if you didn't want to, then use that $20k for mods!

I would guess if you can find a deal at MSRP, you are doing pretty good.....

Snoopy49

Established Member
Your probably going to have to look outside of Texas for a decent deal, every post I have read about Texas mentions that it is not an MSRP friendly state.

keynan

Established Member
Thanks for all the advise guys I'm willing to travel for the car I'll look at that website listed and go from there. I'm currently up in PA working so I might look around here, I have decent credit I just don't want an expensive car payment that's why I have been saving for up.

What are your payments if you don't mind me asking?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The below is assuming $63k sticker- with $20k down

At 2% (penfed rate if you qualify) for 5 years

uzuzujyb.jpg

SVTKen

Established Member
The others here have given good advice. I'll just add a little about what I learned while looking. Create a wide search radius that you are comfortable to travel or if you are willing to have the car delivered without seeing it in person or driving it first, search the entire country.

I had an EXTREMELY difficult time finding exactly what I wanted. I found many cars that were close, but had the wrong color stripes, and were either missing a must have option such as the SVT Performance Package or Navigation. Another problem I ran into was that many dealers loaded the cars to the max, and there were certain things I really preferred not to have or pay for, such as the glass roof and car cover, which I would never use. Some may want a car with glass roof and car cover and no navigation or recaros, but that's not what I would want.

Another problem is that many dealers were adding markups to the cars they had in stock and just using their Shelby's to try and market their other Mustangs through the Autotrader advertising. They had no intentions on selling their Shelbys. You'll want to check cars.com and Autotrader every day for new listings. Also, Autotrader and cars.com have lots of Shelbys listed that have already been sold, so don't be fooled by the number of them you see listed. I'm not sure how often the sold listings are removed. In my experience, over half of what's listed has been sold. Most of the ones that haven't been sold have markups on them. Autotrader also has some that are in transit and some of those already have deposits on them. Another important thing to note is that the price listed in Autotrader is not the price the car is offered at in many, many cases. Most of the prices are higher when you call the dealer, higher than MSRP that is. Further limiting is the fact that lots of them are convertibles, and if you don't want a convertible, that also limits your choices. Ford also gives lots of different color and stripe options making it even more difficult to find what you want. For example, i wanted a car with black stripes.

Once you find what you are looking for, don't let on to the dealer that it's exactly what you want. You want them to believe you prefer maybe a different color stripe, or is missing something that you really wanted, but your considering it as your second choice. This worked to quickly get me sticker price offers on several cars, but I actually wasn't interested in them because they all had white stripes and one didn't have navigation. There really aren't that many of these cars available yet and most sell quickly. My local dealer has sold every allocation before they even hit the showroom.

It's really difficult to negotiate on these cars, but there are deals to be had if you are patient and find the right dealer. My advice is that once you find what you want, if you can get it at sticker price and get them to pay for delivery, I would jump on that deal. If you want a black car, there are lots of them.

I spoke to about 15 dealers over the course of one week and most had ADMs (in the $5K to $10K range) on their Shelbys. Once you appear interested and sound like you are still looking for your car, some will drop the ADM right away. Others will get your number and offer to call you back in a while. As a matter of fact, I had a dealer who had a $10K ADM call me today and he said the car was available at MSRP and there was no longer a markup. I can assure you that I could have offered less and I bet he would have considered it. Remember, he called me back with the sticker price offer, not the other way around, and those are the ones that are hungry. I only found one dealer who had a price less than MSRP, and it's too bad I didn't want white stripes because everything else was perfect about the car.

I got lucky because my dealer got a new allocation and they ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. They had one day to choose the options and I lucked out because the salesman remembered me and took good notes on what I wanted. The sales director made the order, and fortunately he added one of the main options I wanted (Recaros) that the salesman had forgotten. This dealer had a $10K ADM during the summer for all allocations, but there was no markup. I sent the sales guy a message stating "I am a serious buyer, not a tire kicker. I forever refuse to pay an ADM. If you have an allocation and there is no markup, I want it." They got the allocation about 5 days after I sent that message. Thankfully, it worked out and the order is mine.

Keep good notes regarding prices, who you call, who you talk to, what they have, and where they are located. Good luck in your search! Be patient.

Last edited:

SVTKen

Established Member
Stripes can be removed. Not even difficult to do.

Yes, but they cannot be removed from the seats. Also, if you wanted different color stripes, you will have to peel off the existing stripes and pay $1700 (if you get the Ford factory stripe kit) for the new stripes, plus installation. And then you have a car with stripes on the seats that don't match the stripes on the exterior. Picky, yes, but when I buy something new, I want it to be perfect. The stripes weren't a big deal for me when I first started looking, but the more I thought about it, the more of an issue they became, especially since I wanted black seats with the subtle black stripes on them. For that, you need a car that started with black stripes or no stripes.

Last edited:

keynan

Established Member
The others here have given good advice. I'll just add a little about what I learned while looking. Create a wide search radius that you are comfortable to travel or if you are willing to have the car delivered without seeing it in person or driving it first, search the entire country.

I had an EXTREMELY difficult time finding exactly what I wanted. I found many cars that were close, but had the wrong color stripes, and were either missing a must have option such as the SVT Performance Package or Navigation. Another problem I ran into was that many dealers loaded the cars to the max, and there were certain things I really preferred not to have or pay for, such as the glass roof and car cover, which I would never use. Some may want a car with glass roof and car cover and no navigation or recaros, but that's not what I would want.

Another problem is that many dealers were adding markups to the cars they had in stock and just using their Shelby's to try and market their other Mustangs through the Autotrader advertising. They had no intentions on selling their Shelbys. You'll want to check cars.com and Autotrader every day for new listings. Also, Autotrader and cars.com have lots of Shelbys listed that have already been sold, so don't be fooled by the number of them you see listed. I'm not sure how often the sold listings are removed. In my experience, over half of what's listed has been sold. Most of the ones that haven't been sold have markups on them. Autotrader also has some that are in transit and some of those already have deposits on them. Another important thing to note is that the price listed in Autotrader is not the price the car is offered at in many, many cases. Most of the prices are higher when you call the dealer, higher than MSRP that is. Further limiting is the fact that lots of them are convertibles, and if you don't want a convertible, that also limits your choices. Ford also gives lots of different color and stripe options making it even more difficult to find what you want. For example, i wanted a car with black stripes.

Once you find what you are looking for, don't let on to the dealer that it's exactly what you want. You want them to believe you prefer maybe a different color stripe, or is missing something that you really wanted, but your considering it as your second choice. This worked to quickly get me sticker price offers on several cars, but I actually wasn't interested in them because they all had white stripes and one didn't have navigation. There really aren't that many of these cars available yet and most sell quickly. My local dealer has sold every allocation before they even hit the showroom.

It's really difficult to negotiate on these cars, but there are deals to be had if you are patient and find the right dealer. My advice is that once you find what you want, if you can get it at sticker price and get them to pay for delivery, I would jump on that deal. If you want a black car, there are lots of them.

I spoke to about 15 dealers over the course of one week and most had ADMs (in the $5K to $10K range) on their Shelbys. Once you appear interested and sound like you are still looking for your car, some will drop the ADM right away. Others will get your number and offer to call you back in a while. As a matter of fact, I had a dealer who had a $10K ADM call me today and he said the car was available at MSRP and there was no longer a markup. I can assure you that I could have offered less and I bet he would have considered it. Remember, he called me back with the sticker price offer, not the other way around, and those are the ones that are hungry. I only found one dealer who had a price less than MSRP, and it's too bad I didn't want white stripes because everything else was perfect about the car.

I got lucky because my dealer got a new allocation and they ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. They had one day to choose the options and I lucked out because the salesman remembered me and took good notes on what I wanted. The sales director made the order, and fortunately he added one of the main options I wanted (Recaros) that the salesman had forgotten. This dealer had a $10K ADM during the summer for all allocations, but there was no markup. I sent the sales guy a message stating "I am a serious buyer, not a tire kicker. I forever refuse to pay an ADM. If you have an allocation and there is no markup, I want it." They got the allocation about 5 days after I sent that message. Thankfully, it worked out and the order is mine.

Keep good notes regarding prices, who you call, who you talk to, what they have, and where they are located. Good luck in your search! Be patient.

Thanks again everyone for the advise I have started my search and am going to try and see what % I can get from penfed. Hopefully I can get a good rate I have always wanted to own a Shelby.

SVTKen

Established Member
Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress. Just be patient and keep checking autotrader for new listings.

I was lucky and a local dealer got a surprise allocation at the end of October and he was willing to sell it to me at MSRP. If I hadn't found that, I may still be searching. Finding a Deep Impact Blue Coupe with black stripes, navigation, and SVT performance package was very difficult. There were many with white stripes and if that's what I wanted it would be in my driveway now.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Go outside of Houston !! The dealers are a bunch of A$$ Clowns.

PM sent

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread