Initial Impression

BahnRunner

Established Member
Picked up the GT500 in Wurzburg today and drove it back home (all autobahn) 200 kms, had a chance to stretch it's legs a little, although I did not go north of 160mph it got there quick as hell, however it did not instill confidence in me as did my M3 and Corvette at high speeds. The car dances around a little once you get over 130mph. I am 110% satisfied with this car though and I don't miss the M3 at all. It is just a blast to drive! ....and btw, what the f&*%$ was Ford thinking with these tires? Holy crap, worthless on this car lol.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Suspension kit from Van will fix that and yea the tires are not really good if they are not warmed up well enough.

BahnRunner

Established Member
My only concern with upgrading the suspension on this car would be the ride quality. You can feel everything in this car and at high speeds the bumps really throw a curve ball at this car. I absolutely do not want a harsher ride than what this car has in stock trim.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Have to go with Devious on the suspension,,,my car does not dance, wiggle, simmy, nothing. Been 140-160 multiple times with no issue in handling.

Check your shock settings,,need to be on normal,,,sport mode, you feel every little thing. I run my steering on comfort or normal,,,again sport mode for me is to precise for my road quality around here.

Everything set to comfort/normal, with my suspension,, the car is awesome, a pure beast,,but is very easy to handle. Tires are another story,,MPSS will solve a lot of your tire issues.

In stock form, this car is tight/rough,,,it's not a Caddy, and it's not Euro,,,pure American Bad Ass,,it is what it is!! :rockon: :coolman:

Last edited:

BahnRunner

Established Member
Yeah well a lot of it has to do with a solid rear axle. Ford did a great job with it don't get me wrong but make no mistake, IRS is light years ahead of this car in the handling department. This car would really be damn near perfect with a IRS, at least for the type of driving I do over here.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Actually the super stiff suspension only works well for perfectly smooth roads and racetracks. High speed runs on public roads work better with a more forgiving suspension. Mike Finnegan of Hot Rod ran the Mojave Magnum mile and a half with a pp car and noted that it was a real handful at speeds above 130.

Arthur St. Antoine found the same issue in a Lamborghini Aventador roadster on a 200-mph try on a public road in Montana on an Epic Drives episode. He had to adjust the suspension out of the race setting to a more forgiving setting.

I think op may be better suited swapping away from the pp setup unless he can find a way to lock out the track setting and keep it in normal for high speed. Too much stiffness and high-speed bumps are not a good combo.

dom418

Established Member
It's no surprise the M3 and corvette felt so stable at high speeds, that is there bread and butter. From a dig the Shelby is king though. Glad you have the autobahn to stretch those legs out! Congrats!

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I had a 1995 Viper with some mild mods (pipes, headers, tune, intake). You want to talk about high speed walking!! You'd have to use 3 lanes over 160 mph. And a passenger to hang on the roof to prevent it from blowing off!!

I can't wait until the roads clear of the damn salt, ice, snow just to drive this damn thing!! I knew if I bought a convertible.... it'd be a record snow year.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
Yeah well a lot of it has to do with a solid rear axle. Ford did a great job with it don't get me wrong but make no mistake, IRS is light years ahead of this car in the handling department. This car would really be damn near perfect with a IRS, at least for the type of driving I do over here.

The rear end would not last very long if it were an IRS in this car...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I've never felt unsafe in this car at triple digit speeds. Perhaps it's just what I'm accustomed to, but I feel like the Shelby is yawning from boredom at those speeds. Feels planted to me. Perhaps it's the road surface as others have stated? A SRA is going to bounce on bumpy roads more than an IRS, obviously. Don't forget you have to drive your own car with a Mustang, it's not going to drive for you like BMW. :p

buck24

Established Member
Picked up the GT500 in Wurzburg today and drove it back home (all autobahn) 200 kms, had a chance to stretch it's legs a little, although I did not go north of 160mph it got there quick as hell, however it did not instill confidence in me as did my M3 and Corvette at high speeds. The car dances around a little once you get over 130mph. I am 110% satisfied with this car though and I don't miss the M3 at all. It is just a blast to drive! ....and btw, what the f&*%$ was Ford thinking with these tires? Holy crap, worthless on this car lol.

My dad had an M3, I felt same as you when I drove my car, not very confidence inspiring. I spoke with Van and got Griggs set up that completely transformed the car, I do not feel like the rear end is ever going to step out and when I make it step out I can now control it.

I am jealous of you running the autobahn, on the bucket list, enjoy the car.

Krieger

Established Member
Is the front spoiler extension installed? It is supposed to help with down force.
Most of us got the front lip in a box in the trunk and some people didn't get it at all.
I haven't installed mine as seen in my signature vs. these that have it:

2013GT500SteedaSportSprings.jpg

2013-Shelby-GT500-front-profile.jpg

HighVelocity

Established Member
If you guys are seeing 40deg F temps in Germany....it is too cold for the stock Goodyears.
They are probably hard as rocks.

It seem many of the owners on here have switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) with great results.

My suggestion is to reevaluate once road and ambient temps are up around 70 deg F +.

Had her at 160 last summer....solid and composed.

Enjoy!!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed, be careful with the stock GYs in these temps!
Also, 'normal' mode on suspension and steering for top speed.
Enjoy the beast!
-J

BahnRunner

Established Member
Was your suspension in sport mode on the autobahn?

The suspension mode was in normal the entire trip.

Obvious point: Did you check your tire pressure before leaving on your journey home???
Enjoy the new ride!!!

Yes, and the oil, and coolant.

Is the front spoiler extension installed? It is supposed to help with down force.
Most of us got the front lip in a box in the trunk and some people didn't get it at all.
I haven't installed mine as seen in my signature vs. these that have it:

2013GT500SteedaSportSprings.jpg

2013-Shelby-GT500-front-profile.jpg

It has the front lip installed.

If you guys are seeing 40deg F temps in Germany....it is too cold for the stock Goodyears.
They are probably hard as rocks.

It seem many of the owners on here have switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) with great results.

My suggestion is to reevaluate once road and ambient temps are up around 70 deg F +.

Had her at 160 last summer....solid and composed.

Enjoy!!

Although it was not in the 40s yesterday it was quite warm. 63 degrees and sunny the whole trip. You guys in the states got our winter this year. This is the most mild winter I have ever seen here. It's been like spring for the past two months.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. I will just do my homework on suspension setups and see what is working. I think my first mod will be some better tires and then I will go from there.

tw0scoops

Established Member
The suspension mode was in normal the entire trip.

Yes, and the oil, and coolant.

It has the front lip installed.

Although it was not in the 40s yesterday it was quite warm. 63 degrees and sunny the whole trip. You guys in the states got our winter this year. This is the most mild winter I have ever seen here. It's been like spring for the past two months.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. I will just do my homework on suspension setups and see what is working. I think my first mod will be some better tires and then I will go from there.

Even in the morning in the summer when the streets are cool 60-75 my goodyears will slip when taking off not driving real hard....you might have more confidence driving on hot roads on the 'bahn.

Saltyoldguy

Established Member
I am coming from an e92 M3 aswell, I DO NOT MISS IT FOR A MINUTE! Was a nice car indeed, but so lacking in performance and visceral driving experience when compared to the 500. I smile every time I drive the 500.

Users who are viewing this thread