Insane Diesel FORD 3.5L ECOBOOST BYPASS OIL FILTER

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I was thinking about a comment that @SID297 made a while back watching a 3.5 ecoboost idle with no cats smoke like a chimney. I have a 2022 F-150 3.5 ecoboost and with all the crazy stuff involving EPA, might or might not be my last one, so might own for an extended time. Anyways, oil contaminated with soot is bad for pretty much all bearings with turbo bearings really not liking it. I currently change every 5,000 miles with whatever the Ford dealer drops in.

I was thinking of installing this kit and go to a 10,000 mile change interval with AMSOIL Signature series oil.

Anyone ever use this or heard of any legit feedback? Thoughts?

1693744850618.png

OX1

Established Member
5,000 miles is the absolute max I would go on any EcoBoost regardless of the mods. They are very hard on the oil. I've been doing 2,500 mile OCI on the BRaptor because of that, and the fact it's easy for me to remember.

Is that full synth, or you think it does not matter either way due to contaminents? I was always a 3k mile guy, back to forever, but started 5K with full syth

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Is that full synth, or you think it does not matter either way due to contaminents? I was always a 3k mile guy, back to forever, but started 5K with full syth

Kirkland 5w30 Full Syn from Costco. It's cheap and tests as good as anything you'll find on a typical store shelf. I run it in pretty much everything gas powered except the specialty stuff. Those get Red Line.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Kirkland 5w30 Full Syn from Costco. It's cheap and tests as good as anything you'll find on a typical store shelf. I run it in pretty much everything gas powered except the specialty stuff. Those get Red Line.

Really? I’ve seen it at my local Costco. I’d still run Mobil Extended Performance in the Cobra. But you’ve peaked my interest for my 15 5.0 SCREW F-150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It was marked down to $30 for 2 5qt jugs again yesterday

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
$600 buys a ton of oil and filters.

This look about right?

Done myself, $600 is about 13 oil changes at 2,500 mile interval (conservative).

Then about half that if you go to a dealership?

Here's the math:
Explorer Sport w/3.5L EB:
- 6 qts Mobil1 (~$5.40/qt + tax) = $35
- Motorcraft Filter = $7
- So $42 and rags is $45

600/45 = 13.3 oil changes

So $600 gets you 13.3 x 2,500 miles = 33,250 miles

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This look about right?

Done myself, $600 is about 13 oil changes at 2,500 mile interval (conservative).

Then about half that if you go to a dealership?

Here's the math:
Explorer Sport w/3.5L EB:
- 6 qts Mobil1 (~$5.40/qt + tax) = $35
- Motorcraft Filter = $7
- So $42 and rags is $45

600/45 = 13.3 oil changes

So $600 gets you 13.3 x 2,500 miles = 33,250 miles

If you value your time at zero, a reasonable solution.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Really? I’ve seen it at my local Costco. I’d still run Mobil Extended Performance in the Cobra. But you’ve peaked my interest for my 15 5.0 SCREW F-150.

Since the latest API specs came out for DI and emissions protection, most decent oils are all about the same. Unless you want to go for top tier Red Line / Amsoil / Etc, the store bought stuff will all perform about the same.

My big toys get that stuff.

Bingo

It was marked down to $30 for 2 5qt jugs again yesterday

$8 off this month.

If you value your time at zero, a reasonable solution.

At this point in life, I'd almost pay someone for the opportunity to go out in the garage and change some oil myself.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Since the latest API specs came out for DI and emissions protection, most decent oils are all about the same. Unless you want to go for top tier Red Line / Amsoil / Etc, the store bought stuff will all perform about the same.

Bingo

$8 off this month.

At this point in life, I'd almost pay someone for the opportunity to go out in the garage and change some oil myself.

I change all my small engine stuff, but always let Ford change the vehicles.

I have read some interesting benefits from multiple sources about running the extra oil filtration. I think I need to get some oil test data to reach any firm conclusion on my particular truck and if it would benefit. Even time of year might make a difference as the truck idles more in winter and less in summer.

robvas

Established Member
I've come across filter setups like that on used cars before

Usually the previous owner was full on into the AMSOIL cult

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I change all my small engine stuff, but always let Ford change the vehicles.

I have read some interesting benefits from multiple sources about running the extra oil filtration. I think I need to get some oil test data to reach any firm conclusion on my particular truck and if it would benefit. Even time of year might make a difference as the truck idles more in winter and less in summer.

Other than your wallet, it won't hurt to add it. They are far more beneficial on diesels, but EBs are dirtier burning engines.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Other than your wallet, it won't hurt to add it. They are far more beneficial on diesels, but EBs are dirtier burning engines.

I had that thought also, you don't wonder how dirty the oil is because you know it's clean. I like data, so maybe pull & test some oil at 3,000, change/test at 5,000, install filter and change/test at 5,000.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
5,000 miles is the absolute max I would go on any EcoBoost regardless of the mods. They are very hard on the oil. I've been doing 2,500 mile OCI on the BRaptor because of that, and the fact it's easy for me to remember.
Agreed. I had bad luck with the wife’s Fusion sport. It was tuned, so I’m not innocent, but I ran good fuel and changed the oil at 5K mile intervals.

I had such great luck with jacking boost on the Fiesta STs….. With the 2.7, my luck ran out and am $7500 poorer because of it..

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

Bingo

$8 off this month.

My F150 is almost due for an oil change and I need to go to Costco this week. I’ll have to look I may try it.

Users who are viewing this thread