Inside Heath Ledger’s ‘Dark Knight’ Diary

Defknotzero

Established Member
“BYE BYE.”

Those are the chilling final words scrawled in capital letters on the last page of a diary the late Heath Ledger kept as he was filming ‘The Dark Knight,’ his last finished movie. Ledger’s father, Kim, opened up Ledger’s Joker diary publicly for the first time for the upcoming documentary ‘Too Young to Die,’ giving fans a fascinating glimpse into how the late actor created one of the most memorable movie villains of all-time.

The actor told Empire of his preparation shortly after ‘Dark Knight’ filming wrapped, explaining, “I sat around in a hotel room in London for about a month, locked myself away, formed a little diary.”

The diary, seen here for the first time in this video, actually feels more like a scrapbook. On the cover it says simply, “The Joker,” with a picture of an elephant and a young girl in a hat. While there certainly are pages of written text inside, there are also many pages of pasted images including a couple of Alex from ‘A Clockwork Orange’ (with the caption “Got Milk?”), a few panels from Batman comics and, of course, lots of clowns.

Ledger’s father doesn’t read directly from the diary and most of the text is difficult to make out, but on one page you can clearly see, “Why So Serious?” written at the bottom. At the top of one entry, highlighted in pink is “HOSPITAL ROOM” and below it reads the Joker’s monologue from the hospital scene with Harvey Dent. “I don’t want there to be any hard feelings between us, Harvey. When you and Rachel were being adbucted, I was sitting in Gordon’s cage. I didn’t rig those charges.”

The clip is from a German documentary, Ledger’s father speaks English and the dialogue is curiously overdubbed into French, but a translation provided by a YouTube user allows us to hear Kim Ledger’s words as he flips through the diary:

This is the Joker’s diary. In order to inhabit his character, he locked himself up in a hotel room for weeks. He would do that. He liked to dive into his characters, but this time he really took it up a notch.

The hospital scene is interesting because when he was a kid, his sister Kate liked to dress him up as a nurse. He was really funny like that. He also was in the movie. This is a make-up test which was done eight months before. Before the end of the shooting he wrote ‘bye bye’ on the back of the page. It was hard to see this.
"

Heath Ledger's Joker Diary - YouTube

[youtube_browser]j04X3B9-dLU[/youtube_browser]

joker1-630x288.jpg

joker2-630x286.jpg

joker3-630x287.jpg

joker5-630x286.jpg

joker6-630x285.jpg

joker7-630x283.jpg

joker8-630x286.jpg

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i think he went a little far with the character, i mean the acting was great but locking himself in a room for a month was probably a bad idea from the start. the way i see it its like the joker spent the whole movie doing bad/crazy things and then the last bad/crazy thing the joker did was kill heath ledger.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Yeah, I think he nailed the role perfectly. Between him and Jack Nicholson, I don't know who did it better... I hate that Heath died. I would've loved to see him in that role again.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Yeah, I think he nailed the role perfectly. Between him and Jack Nicholson, I don't know who did it better... I hate that Heath died. I would've loved to see him in that role again.
The thing about Jack is that he pretty much played himself with Joker make up. He was good comedic wise but did nothing outside of the box like Heath did. Maybe with a different scrip with Jack, he could've done a more different joker. I rank Heath higher for the small unscripted moments, the I have nothing to lose moments and his "love" for Batman. Script made Heath into a bigger character but he played it like he really was born as this person.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
The thing about Jack is that he pretty much played himself with Joker make up. He was good comedic wise but did nothing outside of the box like Heath did. Maybe with a different scrip with Jack, he could've done a more different joker. I rank Heath higher for the small unscripted moments, the I have nothing to lose moments and his "love" for Batman. Script made Heath into a bigger character but he played it like he really was born as this person.

Well put man. I think another part was the difference in Directors. Burton made Batman "fun". Nolan made Batman "dark".

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Well put man. I think another part was the difference in Directors. Burton made Batman "fun". Nolan made Batman "dark".

very well put. was just watching The Departed last night (again). he did the same thing there. just played himself. didnt really fit the role at all imo. it was great in batman though. but still didnt hold a candle to ledgers performance.

i did like the original batman movie (only the first one really). i was in 7th grade and we stood in line for hours before the movie started, with tickets we bought weeks in advance. it was THE big thing of the year lol.

but nolan's version absolutely blows it away. best super hero franchise to date imo. iron man being second. i didnt have any hopes for the new superman movie till i saw nolan directed it. now ill have to give it a shot.

psfracer

924 hp all motor
Established Member
but nolan's version absolutely blows it away. best super hero franchise to date imo. iron man being second. i didnt have any hopes for the new superman movie till i saw nolan directed it. now ill have to give it a shot.

X1000. Nolan is awesome. I hope he can do the same to Superman.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
i didnt have any hopes for the new superman movie till i saw nolan directed it. now ill have to give it a shot.
Nolan didn't direct Man of Steel, Zack Snyder did. Nolan was a producer in it but the main person who deserves credit is David Goyer who also wrote both Batman movies and had his credit as well for Dark Knight Rises. Trust me, it will be a really good movie possibly the best comic book movie of the year.

BatmobileWS6

Established Member

They both played their parts equally great. Jack performed Tim Burton's version of Joker perfectly and Heath played Christopher Nolan's version on Joker perfectly. Even though it's the same character, it's a variation so it's an apple-to-orange comparison.

BatmobileWS6

Established Member

I wouldn't say "fun" per say. A better description would be Burton created a dark version of Batman that is comic-based while Nolan made a darker version that is more "grounded" or reality-based.

Before Burton, there was really no version of Batman quite like Keaton's. His all black attire was really a new concept and one that paved way for the great versions we see today, like Christopher Nolan's. Before Burton's representation of Batman the last version was a upbeat fancy-boy wearing grey tights with light blue panties.

Users who are viewing this thread