Insight Wanted - Possible Purchase in the Works

DJG

Established Member
seen the car and met the guy at the track and he is super nice. i didnt like the stripes on the bottom and the roll cage but for 20k thats a hell of a deal.
if you check in the local section there are a couple other guys from elma that could probably tell you more

Wow, not very often I see someone from my same neck of the woods on a forum board. I asked him about the stripes, as I didn't like them either, and he said they were just vinyl and could be removed. But the pictures I saw of the cage looked pretty nice - What didn't you like about it? Shotty work?

DJG

Established Member
I'd think its a good deal, but why replace a perfectly good factory longblock. I know it saves weight, but thats pretty expensive to do so, and a good amount of work. I'd really wonder if he blew something, rebuilt the factory longblock and added an aluminator.

He used to be a Ford mechanic and his good friend is the mustang roush mechanic at a local dealership - I'm sure he got some sort of heavy discount, and he and his buddy were able to handle the installation. However, I do see your point - I would think there would be better ways to spend that kind of money, even with a discount, to increase performace. But, then again, he did install a tubular K-member, as well, so maybe he just had a thing about getting weight off the front end...?

DJG

Established Member
Found out through a friend that has met the guy at the track numerous time that he used to have a Whipple on the stock block, running 10.90s, blew the stock motor... So, my assumption is that he probably sold the whipple to help pay for the aluminator block that's now under the hood, and here we are. Not sure if I should go for this one, after all... Asked the guy why he swapped the motor a couple of times, each of which he avoided answering. The aluminator is obviously a better motor than the stocker, but still, I wouldn't be surprised if the tranny grenaded shortly after I bought it, now that I know this.

Opinions?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
you could always look into the possability of purchasing an extended warranty, through a third party company. that way, in case it did break on you, you wouldnt be stuck with the bill.

i dunno...just a thought.

DJG

Established Member
you could always look into the possability of purchasing an extended warranty, through a third party company. that way, in case it did break on you, you wouldnt be stuck with the bill.

i dunno...just a thought.

How tough is the stock tranny? It has a centerforce clutch, but I'm more worried about the forks and sychros, etc.

When I step back and think about everything that comes with this car, it's really a hell of a deal - That aluminator motor is a great base to build a beast out of with a KB or Whipple... Way better than the stock Romeo, from my understanding, at least.

What the hell do I do here guys...??? :shrug: I want to buy the damn car, but I don't want it to fall apart on me.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
these trannys are pretty tough, and can take a pretty good beating.

i'd say just go with your gut....if its telling you to wait for another one to come along that hasnt been beaten on as much, then wait. but if its telling you to jump/pull the trigger, then do it!

im sure the tranny is fine. just take it for a long test drive...listen for any grinding of gears when shifing (synchro issues), and things of that nature. if you dont ever hear any strange noises, and everything feels and works fine, then im sure its good to go.

my car has 70k on the clock....i can assure you they arent easy 70k miles either. missed plenty of hard shifts, plenty of times...and she still shifts as smooth as ever. no synchro grinds, etc. no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread