Insight Wanted - Possible Purchase in the Works

DJG

Established Member
So I've been long considering the purchase of a terminator - Since selling my Z06 a couple of years ago... In any case, I feel as though I've stumbled across a deal I shouldn't pass up. However, I'm not as well versed in these monsters as, I figure, most of you are, so I'd like your opinions before jumping.

I found an 03 with 7,950 original miles on the car and a fairly extensive laundry list of what I consider to be desirable mods. They are as follows:

- Ford Aluminator Long Block with 1,200 miles since install (*EDIT* Comes with just the factory block - Crank, rods, pistons, heads, etc. were parted out. That wasn't clear in his ad.)
- Ported factory Eaton w/2.65 pulley
- Tubular K-member
- Coil overs up front, Adjustable shocks out back
- 26 spline Centerforce DFX and MGW shifter
- IRS rear brace
- Level 5 rear axles
- 6 point cage with removable side bars and back bar
- Bassani mid length headers w/ high flow cats
- SLP Loud Mouth Exhaust
- SLP Line Lock
- Cross drilled rotors...

I may be missing a few things, but you get the point.

All of this for an asking price of $20,000! Is that as good of a deal as I feel like it is, or am I just on the wrong page? Anything I should be made aware of/watching out for given these mods?

For the record, I plan to use this car for street/track use. Probably about 8,000 street driven miles per year, probably some drag racing, and quite a bit of road coursing once I do some suspension work.

Your insight/advice/opinions are greatly appreciated - Thank you, in advance.

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
20k seems like a good deal, considering the low miles, and all of the mods.

i'd be somewhat cautious, and definately look her over very well (along with a loooong test drive)before buying. no telling how hard she has been beat on.

i'd say as long as she checks out clean, that its a pretty good deal! =]

DJG

Established Member
I'm pretty well versed on track cars - Owned/built quite a few in the past. More wondering if there's anything vehicle specific, considering these mods, I should watch out for. I guess the guy's an ex ford mechanic and in his 40's, which is somewhat reassuring - If it were someone in their 20's, I'd be a little more concerned (even though I'm 28).

Thanks for the responses thus far!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Factory motor pulled out for the Aluminator in favor of weight for track duty?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
listen for any odd noises on the test drive.

listen for things like..."the clunk" (clunking noise when shifting gears, clunking from pressing on the gas after coasting for a sec, etc.)....does the vehicle pull to/from either side? does it stall randomly? any funny noises coming from the steering rack when you turn the wheel?

a lot of these noises seem to come stock on cobras....but i wish i would have checked for some of them when purchasing my car, because mine makes some of the noises mentioned (the clunk, and creak in steering)

bdunner

Established Member
If this guy is located in Elma I have spoke with him and almost bought it myself. I spoke with someone who knows the owner and he wouldn't hesitate in picking up the car. The only 2 reasons I didn't pick it up was the color (wife wanted the red fire) and my wife thought I would like a project that "I" built. I picked up a totally stock 2004 with 13K. I would jump on it if you want a modified car!

zinc

Established Member
sounds like a great deal. Extremely low miles- extra 4 thousand dollar motor just in case- shit check for body damage and call it good. worst case you slap that extra motor in

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree...great deal, however, check it out real good...especially the motor...sounds to me it was run hard at the track with those mods, so that's where I would be a little worried...get him down to 18,000 and call it a day...

DJG

Established Member
If this guy is located in Elma I have spoke with him and almost bought it myself. I spoke with someone who knows the owner and he wouldn't hesitate in picking up the car. The only 2 reasons I didn't pick it up was the color (wife wanted the red fire) and my wife thought I would like a project that "I" built. I picked up a totally stock 2004 with 13K. I would jump on it if you want a modified car!

How funny - That's the exact car. And you know what, I'd love to build my own as well, but if I can buy one that's already had all of the work done at a fraction of the cost, I can't financially justify not doing so. Thanks for the input!

DJG

Established Member
wasnt there an issue with the Aluminator blocks wearing a spot on the block from the crank pulley?

I'd definitely like to hear more about this - Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. I'll be doing my own due diligence, as well.

Thank you for making this point, whether it really is a problem or not - This is the kind of info I'm looking for!

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
sounds like a hell of a deal! One thing i would be cocerned with is why he needed a new motor with only 7k miles on it,But im sure its fine.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
seen the car and met the guy at the track and he is super nice. i didnt like the stripes on the bottom and the roll cage but for 20k thats a hell of a deal.
if you check in the local section there are a couple other guys from elma that could probably tell you more

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Thats a hell of a deal.

A few of the first Aluminators had some problems, and Ford Racing wasn't wanting to fix them, but I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker if your getting a perfectly good factory bottomend with it. Even is the motor did go bad you could use the aluminum block to build a better motor than the Aluminator. If the Aluminator has a fair amount of miles on it and its still running strong I wouldn't worry about it. I think most the ones that had problems became apparent when the motors were pretty fresh and only running for a for minutes.

Qwk GT

Established Member
I'd think its a good deal, but why replace a perfectly good factory longblock. I know it saves weight, but thats pretty expensive to do so, and a good amount of work. I'd really wonder if he blew something, rebuilt the factory longblock and added an aluminator.

Users who are viewing this thread