Installed 01 Cobra LED Sequentials

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I installed the Mustangs Unlimited 99-01 Cobra LED sequentials tonight, with even better results than I had hoped....very well put together kit, installed easy, instructions were good.....removing the stock flasher was the toughest part other than just getting to the nuts in the trunk(with just a pair of small vise grips, even deep socket were useless since the bolts are so friggin long)

quick vid below, but needs to be in daylight and I will do that tomorrow, looks way better in person, and the speed of the flasher is much better than others I have seen(Am. Muscle for example are very fast).

def looks waaayyyy better with the amber bulb pulled out....it just stays on the entire cycle of the flash and just seems to be out of place....so I left one in and one out so yall could see it.........I love that it still looks stock with the amber corners without the lights

and with just running lights on is a vast improvement, not rice but if you look close you can see the LEDS.....Ill post some still pics of that too...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNLsTGirOl0"]2001 cobra sequential tail lights best video - YouTube[/nomedia]

this is the better vid of the lights........

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Looks good but, yes but...now you have 99-01 taillights with a non working amber turn signals. Might as well get rid of them and do regular 99-04 tails. Kind of silly to have the amber and not use it at all now.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I love the 01 tail lights and would not get rid of them...........and this is exactly the solution I wanted.....nice LEDS but still have the sequentials AND a stock look except when flashing.....its perfect for me, and if I ever got tired of it, just change the flasher to stock and have sweet LED lights and the amber only blinking......lovin it

JoNasty

Established Member
So basically you took one of the most defining features of the car itself, the amber signals, then tossed it out the window. Interesting.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
wrong, did you even read the previous posts(I love the amber and would never get rid of them, and it is totally reversable, so nothing is thrown out any windows:lol:)....I knew there would be haters, but it looks totally stock except when you turn on the blinks it just seqences, either with or without the amber....so if its not your thing thats cool...... this was a good solution for me, I was not able to find new 01 tail lights since they have been discontinued,(and my stock ones had some water that had discolored the mirror behind the ambers, and it didnt look really bad but not good enough for me) and I think that the LEDs tastefully sharpen/update the rear of the Cobra, with or without sequence..... just posting for the many curious people who have been waiting for this type of kit to be installled and reviewed.....

shurur

Established Member
wrong, did you even read the previous posts(I love the amber and would never get rid of them, and it is totally reversable, so nothing is thrown out any windows:lol:)....I knew there would be haters, but it looks totally stock except when you turn on the blinks it just seqences, either with or without the amber....so if its not your thing thats cool...... this was a good solution for me, I was not able to find new 01 tail lights since they have been discontinued,(and my stock ones had some water that had discolored the mirror behind the ambers, and it didnt look really bad but not good enough for me) and I think that the LEDs tastefully sharpen/update the rear of the Cobra, with or without sequence..... just posting for the many curious people who have been waiting for this type of kit to be installled and reviewed.....

Sounds fine to me..I have sorta the opposite situation. My cobra came with GT lights (with weep holes drilled in the back-up lights..different story).
The cobra ambers were swapped out for GT lights by some previous owner/dealer along the way.

I salvage yarded new GT lights, drilled out (1') the red corner turn signal, made a socket key via small file and have red corner turn signal lights...I went this way for the reasons you have mentioned.

1. New Amber tail lights are $$$.
2. Didn't really care for amber/corner lights included in the sequentials.

what you did would work well for me and would be reversable.

Thanks for the youtube vid.

Last edited:

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
yea shurur, any of the used ambers I found were a bit aged (and way overpriced)and I already have some of those.........cant believe no one has started making some aftermarket....but it forced me to think about options and, I have a great solution for my situation.....now that I have it all back together looks pretty tight with the new third brake light LEDs(which comes on a split second before the brake lights, I kinda like it)......next flat black-out vinyl between lights... if I dont like it I'll peel it off....

zPipes

Established Member
I am not a fan of sequentials at all, must be too fancy I guess. Glad it worked out for you, I know a few guys were posting looking for info recently. Ill have to check that video later im at work now.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
Ive always loved the sequentials, ever since the cougars as a kid....Im not really into flashy stuff, but seems much more understated and cool than I expected, if you think about it, its used very minimally while your driving(unless you drive around with your hazards on)......I shot a good vid today before I put it all back together, but for some reason youtube is taking forever to process it.............will post when it finally makes it up...

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
the new vid finally made it up.......

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNLsTGirOl0"]2001 cobra sequential tail lights best video - YouTube[/nomedia]

shurur

Established Member
yea shurur, any of the used ambers I found were a bit aged (and way overpriced)and I already have some of those.........cant believe no one has started making some aftermarket....but it forced me to think about options and, I have a great solution for my situation.....now that I have it all back together looks pretty tight with the new third brake light LEDs(which comes on a split second before the brake lights, I kinda like it)......next flat black-out vinyl between lights... if I dont like it I'll peel it off....

late model resto used to make them...but I guess they didn't sell enough at $300/pair to continue making them...ouch.

One less thing to worry about replacing for me.

I also rewired/socketed the inner lights to the brake as well...so all three are dual filiment runnig/brake lights.

I might do this mod someday though.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
yea...shot it with a phone, and I guess it stayed focused up close where I started....and blury when I backed up and back in focus for the end (close up of the bulbs).............sorry, vid looked ok on the phone preview.....looks great in person though......

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
What's with the focus on whatever you shot the vid with?

Edit: nevermind, you answered my question while I was posting.

Users who are viewing this thread