Installed 82 pulley, car goes dead

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Mine is doing it with the 85mm, I'm thinking of throwing the 82mm pulley on to see if it corrects it.

HOOT12

Established Member
Could it possibly be related to the hot ass temps outside right now.
Yeah, i might just go on down to the 79 and the issue hopefully goes away. Jk.

hispeedlodrag

Established Member
My 82mm VMP stage 3 is doing the same thing. Has anyone's tuner identified root cause? I have Justin from VMP doing a remote dyno tune on Wednesday - I will update when finished.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I have the same issue with a VMP stage 2 85mm JLT 123 cai m6 car. When I put it in neutral and coast the car would die Justin said to block the air intake that comes from the grille to the airbox, he said it could be causing to much turbulence, and that has worked so far. I was also having slight surging issues when I would let off the accelerator slightly then the car would surge or feel like a push pull.

Last edited:

HOOT12

Established Member
I actually added an AFE air filter and removed the fog lights to capture the air from this inlet, which leads to the air box. I really don't want to block mine off...I don't think.
I emailed my tuner. I'll see what he says.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I understand, it just made a big difference in the way my car runs and I wanted to throw that out there. Still interested in what your tuner says.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I have the same issue with a VMP stage 2 85mm JLT 123 cai m6 car. When I put it in neutral and coast the car would die Justin said to block the air intake that comes from the grille to the airbox, he said it could be causing to much turbulence, and that has worked so far. I was also having slight surging issues when I would let off the accelerator slightly then the car would surge or feel like a push pull.

My tuner said the same thing (Lund), however when I blocked it off, I don't think it helped that much....nor do I want to block off that cold air inlet permanently...

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
My tuner said the same thing (Lund), however when I blocked it off, I don't think it helped that much....nor do I want to block off that cold air inlet permanently...

I wasn't to crazy about blocking it off either but it fixed my drivability. I think I'm gonna take the piece from the inside of the grille that attaches to the cai off. I want to see if it drives ok, this way some outside air is getting in to the filter. I'm guessing that it's the high velocity of the air being directed straight at the filter that's causing the problem.

Flcracker

Established Member
My car is a 2011 TVS, 85 mm, stock air box, T56 Magnum XL, that also failed to idle from time to time when the motor was cold. This issue began the day the Magnum went in. After a retune, it now fails to idle when it's hot. It will be going back to the shop to fix the stalling as well as this damn clunking noise in the 1-2 shift that's driving me nuts! My RXT is clattering at idle too.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Block it off. That's exactly what's happening. If you bought it from us.. And it's a JLT intake, email me and we'll send you an insert to diffuse the air a little more.

pickles

Established Member
FWIW. I run a JLT and my car has never stalled.

Can any tuners confirm that it's ok to swap from an 85mm to 82mm without a revision?

jojobee

Established Member
My car is a 2011 TVS, 85 mm, stock air box, T56 Magnum XL, that also failed to idle from time to time when the motor was cold. This issue began the day the Magnum went in. After a retune, it now fails to idle when it's hot. It will be going back to the shop to fix the stalling as well as this damn clunking noise in the 1-2 shift that's driving me nuts! My RXT is clattering at idle too.

About the clunking noise i have the same issue and as per Tremec its an issue either with the bellhousing alignment or the clutch release.

Unfortunately the trans need to be dropped to take mesurements if the shop didnt do it right the first time like me.

jojobee

Established Member
Not yet, it seems to be worse when shifting at low rpm but with the clutch breakin period mostly completed somedays the cluncking isnt as pronounced.

Will drop everything in a week to measure.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
FWIW. I run a JLT and my car has never stalled.

Can any tuners confirm that it's ok to swap from an 85mm to 82mm without a revision?

I've already done it last summer... But was told by my tuner that it would be fine. I confirmed it with data logs. Lidio at Alternative Auto does my tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread