Installed 82 pulley, car goes dead

HOOT12

Established Member
Gents , I installed the 82 pulley on my tvs setup. When I approach the car to a stop, it goes dead. It doesn't do it every time bit it does do it bout every other time.
What is happening?

HOOT12

Established Member
Yeah. It's weird. I'll just be approaching a stop and it's like the rpms just drop to nothing and then she's dead. I plan on talking to the tuner.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Did you get a tune revision for the new pulley? If you are still on the other tune then you must have forgot to hook something up.

HOOT12

Established Member
No tune revision. ...didn't think I had to....from what I've heard. I'll check and make sure nothing come loose on the motor.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
You won't need a tune revision if you went from an 85mm to a 82mm... Check your airbox area connections & seal.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I've had the same problem from day 1 with no change in pulley. Installer blamed the tune, tuner the installer. Someone offered that it could just be turbulence in the airbox/MAF. Downshifting pretty much eliminates the issue but it's a pain in the ass always downshifting

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Yeah. It's weird. I'll just be approaching a stop and it's like the rpms just drop to nothing and then she's dead. I plan on talking to the tuner.

Who is your tuner? Mine does this as well and it is the most annoying/embarrassing thing in the world with this car.

Flcracker

Established Member
I'm using an 85mm pulley and thinking about swapping to an 82 since U guys are saying I won't need a tune. Not sure if my set up is the same as the OP, however. Just to be sure, Scott, are you saying that you don't need to make any changes to go from the 85 to 82? I'm using 47lb injectors. Are they safe with the 82mm pulley? Thank u.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'm using an 85mm pulley and thinking about swapping to an 82 since U guys are saying I won't need a tune. Not sure if my set up is the same as the OP, however. Just to be sure, Scott, are you saying that you don't need to make any changes to go from the 85 to 82? I'm using 47lb injectors. Are they safe with the 82mm pulley? Thank u.

I started out with a stage 2 85mm w/JLT CAI, 47lb injectors. I swapped to a 82mm without any problems. I did data log to verify. Then switched to a 79mm. I did have to work out some torque management issues the more power it made, but the A/F was right on what was commanded. Our cars have wide band 02 sensors to keep A/F in check.

Flcracker

Established Member
Interesting. Well my O2 sensors threw a code the other day, so I'm going to have that looked into before anything. Any idea how much horsepower and torque the swap will yield? Really curious about how this inexpensive change compares to some of the other mods I've done. Thanks.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
3mm is about 1/2lb of boost, maybe 18 to 25whp... In a auto, you'll notice more low end & better 60's at the drag strip

Vert

Established Member
Scott hit it dead on. I'm running an 82mm, jlt and 47lbers with no issues and I see 9-10 lbs of boost. I have asked Justin with vmp about going to a larger pulley in colder months then swap back in the spring and he said no tune required.

HOOT12

Established Member
Tuner is shaun at aed. Car was spot on with the 85 pulley. Then I opted to go to the 82 pulley. From what I heard and read, no tune revision was required. The car drives fine, just sometimes it dies flat on it's face when I approach a stop. I can down shift and it prevents the going dead issue. As for my air induction, I'm actually using an afe air filter, stock box, and billet grille....which allows air to better enter the induction inlet which is hidden behind the driver fog light. I'm wondering if I'm picking up too much air as I approach a stop or if air builds up and surges to the point to go dead.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Put the 85mm back on, I'm guessing you'll have the same problem... I took my fog lights out. I can be rolling at 100mph & click it into neutral and my car won't stall. I'm assuming you checked your airbox lid and any connections in the tube. If I take my air filter off, it will run rough.

HOOT12

Established Member
I checked air box....looked good. Nothing else seemed loose. I might throw the 85 back on and see if the issue goes away. I'm also gonna data log a run just to make sure all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread