Installed a 4 Post Lift

black 10th vert

Established Member
I was looking into the BackYard Buddy and the BenPak lifts...Cant decide which one is better...The Back Yard Buddy is expensive as all hell...Its close to $4000..

I need something that will work for ceilings 9 feet or below...and the Back Yard Buddy seems to be the only one to fit the bill as it has mutiple stops and seems to have the best safety system.

Just so you know, almost all of the companies have their components manufactured offshore (China, Taiwan, etc.), so they are all very similar in design, and features, including the safety stops (they are probably all manufactured in the same plants, with different powdercoat colors, and labeling). I am currently re-trussing the roof on my shop to get enough ceiling height (it is only around 8'), but since I have a full attic, I can get 12' easily with some re-designing. I am able to use the lift as it is, though, because I can still get around 4' of space under the car to do work in, which is still worlds better than jacks, stands, ramps, etc. There are safety catches every few inches, and they start very low, so you can safely work on the car at ANY height - not just at full extension. You just need a minimum height of around 7' for the height of the posts on a 4-post model - I believe some of the 2 post ones are taller, though.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
how tall of a ceiling you need in the garage? how tall are the post. i might have to get that!
Its a Direct Lift Pro Park 8Plus. 8' Pillars. Specs: ProPark 8Plus 4-Post Lift

Specifications...

Lifting Capacity 8,000 lbs.

Maximum Lifting Height 86" (7' 2")

Overall Length 207.5" (17' 3.5") w/Approach Ramps

Overall Length 176" (14' 8") w/out Approach Ramps

Approach Ramp Length 37" (3' 1")

Column Height 95.75" (7' 11.75")

Overall Width 115" (9' 7") w/Motor

Overall Width 103.5" (8' 7.5") w/out Motor

Width Between Columns 94" (7' 10")

Drive-Thru Width 80.5" (6' 8.5") / "Outside of Tire to Outside of Tire"

Runway Width 19" (1' 7")

Runway Length 165.5" (13' 9.5")

Runway Thickness 5"

Width Between Runways 37" (3' 1")

Overall Runway Width 75" (6' 3") / "Outside Runway to Outside Runway"

Clearance Under Runways 81" (6' 9")

Power Unit Electrical 1 hp / 110v

Shipping Weight 1,830 lbs

If youre 6' or shorter, youll need at least an 11' roof to be able to stand under the lift with a Cobra on top

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Forgot we also picked up a set of these race ramps which gives me another inch of clearance coming up to the rack. The ones we got are actually 56" long

rack-ramps-lift-black-red-silver-corvette.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
No more paying exhaust shops to fix leaks!

johnkn

Established Member
Just so you know, almost all of the companies have their components manufactured offshore (China, Taiwan, etc.), so they are all very similar in design, and features, including the safety stops (they are probably all manufactured in the same plants, with different powdercoat colors, and labeling). .

Actually, 4-post lifts are not all similar in design, they typically fall into 2 distinct categories, 1) slider mechanism residing inside the upright stamped or formed channels (like the Direct Lift pictured above) and 2) outside slider lifts where the sliders completely surround the solid-wall rectangular uprights, and serve to also capture the locking dogs when resting in the locking slots. (i.e. Backyard Buddy). Many lifts are painted, some are actually power coated, different runway designs, hydraulic hose attachments, etc.

txbull

Established Member
just wondering, do the center pieces between the rails move ? for say a trans pull job?

Users who are viewing this thread