Installed PHP IRS Bushings and Toe Link Bars

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
I just installed Paul's IRS bushings and his much stronger Toe Link Bar system for my IRS and the cars feels much more solid in the rear with no wheelhop and my IRS does not move around side to side at WOT like it did with the stock Toe Bars. I was highly reccommended by a buddy of mine that put these on his car and said it was probably one of the best mods he has done to his car because of the more solid feel and the way it controls wheelhop alot better because these bars will not flex like our stock bars do. Just thought i would pass the info along!

klh1

Thanks for the info, I plan on installing a set of toe link bars on mine. I can't get my car to quit wheel hopping. I have installed diff. bushings, irs bushings, irs brace bar, sub frames, irs girdle. My next mod is a 6 point roll bar. I hope this helps to stiffen the chassis. Mine is a convertable. The hop is driving me nuts!!!

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
The bars were $415

His website has a picture of them www.paulshp.com

Damn! I think you got taken to the cleaners. I got my Kenny Brown Rear Steer Kit for 169.00, looks exactly like those, just a silver color instead of gold. I hope they work good for you. Sorry

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The KennyBrown don't look the same. They look thinner and it's a different material.

I have seen and compared the stock toe-link bars to the PHP toe link bars. The PHP's are twice as thick and weigh a little more. The objective of Paul's toe-link bars are to eliminate ALL flex.

I didn't understand how this could possibly have anything to do with wheel hop, so I talked to Paul...

They had a camera under IRS cars recording at hard launch. One of the main things they noticed were the stock toe-link bars flexing, causing a wheel hop scenario to begin. Paul's Toe-Link bars have eliminated just about all of the wheel hop issues, if not all (depends on your power level I suppose). Paul's stuff is super high quality - you pay for what you get. Another reason I am going with his heat exchanger. You could throw rocks at it and it will laugh at you :)

The stock toe links look like slim jims in comparison to PHP's.

And if you're SVTOA membership is still good, you get 15% off all the parts according to the latest SVTOA magazine. So keeping your SVTOA membership is a GOOD thing (plus the latest issues talks all about launch technique and safety wear for racing).

Originally posted by BLK03SVT10TH
Damn! I think you got taken to the cleaners. I got my Kenny Brown Rear Steer Kit for 169.00, looks exactly like those, just a silver color instead of gold. I hope they work good for you. Sorry

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Those toe links looks interesting, the price isnt bad.

How about the IRS Solid Upper Brace? Anyone know what thats about?
5232101.jpg

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
Those toe links looks interesting, the price isnt bad.

How about the IRS Solid Upper Brace? Anyone know what thats about?
5232101.jpg

I would stick with the Delrin replacement bushing instead of the solid brace. The stock low durometer bushing allows the brace to move and due to the awkward mounting to the differential cover I strongly believe it puts an uneven load on the cover greatly contributing to cover failures.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I would stick with the Delrin replacement bushing instead of the solid brace. The stock low durometer bushing allows the brace to move and due to the awkward mounting to the differential cover I strongly believe it puts an uneven load on the cover greatly contributing to cover failures.

toofast,

What do you think about the toe link bars?

J15BIG

Established Member
Newb question:
Can someone explain to me what exaclty toe link bars are? What do they connect/attach to? What is their purpose in the suspension?

Thank you

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by J15BIG
Newb question:
Can someone explain to me what exaclty toe link bars are? What do they connect/attach to? What is their purpose in the suspension?

Thank you

They adjust the toe for the rear tires. They connect the spindle to the IRS assembly.
irstieend.JPG

The tie-rod end is circled red in this picture.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
toofast,

What do you think about the toe link bars?

I don't see understand how it can be moving like they are describing. The tie-rod should only be experiencing load in a single plane since the spindle is mounted to the LCA and UCA using uniball points and they should be bearing all of this load. I have heard that the uniball do wear out causing excessive movement which might also cause loads to the tie-rod in a different plane, but if that is the cause the problem is not the tie-rod but the uniball. The only company making a fix for that is SHM which replace them with highly misaligned bearings which is very expensive like ~975 installed. The rear tie rods should not be experiencing any more load then the front tie-rods and I believe they are both about the same diameter stock. I just order the MM IRS bumpsteer kit which replaces the tie-rod ends so I will have a better idea of how they are next weekend.

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Originally posted by Jagged Edge
After all is said and done a simple pair of QA1 adjustable shocks
turned up to a setting of 5 to 7 and all wheel hop is history
JE
CobraRace4.jpg

QA1 shocks will not help wheelhop i had them on my car at every position possible 1-12 and did nothing for my car. The lower settings would hop worse but this was done during the winter months when the roads were cold. During the summer when the roads are warmer as most of us know the wheelhop is minimal but when the roads are cold wheelhop occurs most of the time and that would be a better way to know for sure if any new suspension change you made actually helped. QA1 shocks will help distribute better weight transfer to the rear but will not stop wheelhop problems.

trey193

Established Member
Glad you got your hop cured Matt. Sounds like a nice setup now you have no excuse to not get aggressive with your launches!!! Give me a ring I lost your number!!!

Jagged Edge

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
QA1 shocks will not help wheelhop i had them on my car at every position possible 1-12 and did nothing for my car. The lower settings would hop worse but this was done during the winter months when the roads were cold. During the summer when the roads are warmer as most of us know the wheelhop is minimal but when the roads are cold wheelhop occurs most of the time and that would be a better way to know for sure if any new suspension change you made actually helped. QA1 shocks will help distribute better weight transfer to the rear but will not stop wheelhop problems.

What can I say Iam just a dam liar... just can't help myself. :rollseyes
I don't know what to say. I had wheel hop and put on QA1's and now no wheel hop. QA1's dampen in both directions of wheel travel, so it stands to reason that it will and has worked for me and everyone I know using them.
I am sure that because you have a ton of money in rear end suspension parts
to eliminate the wheel hop, the thought of $149. shocks solving the problem could never be. All I know is I don't have any wheel hop at all.
JE

Users who are viewing this thread