Installed the Steeda CAI quick question

m8trix00

Established Member
Just installed the Steeda CAI and I noticed the black steel ring that holds the filter in place to the brace was welded offset just enough to leave a gap between the ring and the brace.

Some people might think I am being picky but, if air takes the path of least resistance, it seems some air will completely bypass the filter and go through the hole.

Did anyone else notice this defect?

it also caused the ring not to line up perfectly with the MAF.

I can fix that, and I guess I could just put some sealant over the hole.

Just curious if this was the norm, I am thinking of sending Steeda an email.

I plan on keeping my Terminator for a long time, so I dont like the idea of thrash going straight into the engine.

Just venting I guess........

It does look nice... but now I am wondering if I should have gone with the FIPK.

:bored:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I have the PHP intake, which is almost the same. No gap. I would send the unit back and ask for a new one. Definitely shouldn't be like this.

svt03cobra10th

Established Member
M8trix00,
I am not real sure what you are talking about. I have the Steeda unit as well, no probs. Excellant fit and finish. I would call you Steeda rep and talk to them about it.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by svt03cobra10th
M8trix00,
I am not real sure what you are talking about. I have the Steeda unit as well, no probs. Excellant fit and finish.
Same here, I don't follow you, my filter is "held in place" with a standard hose clamp, nothing welded. Are you talking about the flange that the filter slides over? In any case, there should be no "leaks" all the air should go through the filter, period. can you post a pic? Or email one?

Billy Pilgram

Sounds like the flange was welded on wrong, send it back. Also watch the a/c lines where they pass by the brace, it'll rub through the line.

ALA G8R

Banned
m8trix00,
I had my Steeda CAI off today and saw exactly what you are talking about. My ring is spot welded in 4 places. Don't know if air could get through the gaps or not. But to be safe, I layed a bead of RTV around the ring for an ounce of prevention.

Thanks for the heads up.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd love to see a pic. I don't remember noticing anything like this with my Steeda assembly. If there is a gap, are they all like this? I would still call Steeda and talk to them about it. It doesn't sound normal to me. Plus you're paying good money for their product.

PDubs

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Same here, I don't follow you, my filter is "held in place" with a standard hose clamp, nothing welded.
Same as mine.

m8trix00

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies, I will see if I can take a picture of it with my digital camera tomorrow,

yes I am talking about the round flange the filter slides over, when you mount it onto the black brace.

the metal flange is welded a little to the side, and there is a small gap, I will probably talk to steeda tomorrow

thanks for the warning on the AC line, I went back and made sure nothing was rubbing. :beer:

but I do love the CAI, it makes the engine bay look nicer.

I can hear the SC more now, and the car felt a little stronger across the RPM range....

man I love the Cobra :rockon:

next on the list is the pulley upgrade :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread