Installing Differential Axel Girdle

pcarman

Established Member
So I want to change out my differential fluid and while I'm doing that thought I'd install an aluminum girdle. The description says: "load bolts provide additional support for differential bearing caps." And when I read the installation directions I do not fully understand when they get to this part. Can someone educate me?

Thanks.

pcarman

Established Member
Installing Diff Girdle

So I re-install the 10 cover bolts. Got that. The two load bolts are in the cap already? Where do they bolt into?

Thanks.

01bluesnake

Established Member
The preload bolts thread through the cover, then use a seat to apply pressure to the caps. They don't actually thread into the caps or housing, just apply pressure. What cover are you running?

Also, before bolting cover down, back off the preload bolts completely, once the cover is bolted down, apply some silicone around the threads so when you turn them down to torque, the treads seal and don't leak any fluid.

pcarman

Established Member
Diff Girdle Install

This is the information I was looking for, thanks 01bluesnake. I just ordered the Ford Racing Diff Girdle. Never did this procedure before.

Project X

Established Member
FYI, to use a girdle "properly", you should get flats milled onto the caps. Otherwise, the surface contact of the swivel isn't ideal.

01bluesnake

Established Member
FYI, to use a girdle "properly", you should get flats milled onto the caps. Otherwise, the surface contact of the swivel isn't ideal.

You could get flats to allow a even seat of the swivel, but not sure i would machine already "weak" caps thinner to provide a more uniform load displacement which Pressing at the top of a arch is sufficient enough for the amount of load the caps are placing on them. If you really need or are worried about the stock caps, just move up to the strange billet cap set

Last edited:

Project X

Established Member
Do the 'caps' need to be removed to be milled?

Thanks.

Yes, but usually a girdle comes with new studs so removing the caps at that point is easy. Make sure you install them the same way they came off obviously. A machine shop should be able to mill your caps for no more than $20.00

You could get flats to allow a even seat of the swivel, but not sure i would machine already "weak" caps thinner to provide a more uniform load displacement which Pressing at the top of a arch is sufficient enough for the amount of load the caps are placing on them. If you really need or are worried about the stock caps, just move up to the strange billet cap set

I only mill enough to get minimum clean up on the two areas in red. The support gained by having more surface area on the cap offsets the .020" at most of material removal. I'm still on the factory diff in the car in my signature and have never had any issues.

116_0705_04_zford_8_8_rear_endtraction_lok_limited_slip.gif

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Yes, but usually a girdle comes with new studs so removing the caps at that point is easy. Make sure you install them the same way they came off obviously. A machine shop should be able to mill your caps for no more than $20.00

I only mill enough to get minimum clean up on the two areas in red. The support gained by having more surface area on the cap offsets the .020" at most of material removal. I'm still on the factory diff in the car in my signature and have never had any issues.

116_0705_04_zford_8_8_rear_endtraction_lok_limited_slip.gif

Ok cool, i thought you were talking about taking of more than that and making the cap head actually flat. That amount milled is fine as well. Ya, the stock diffs hold up fairly well if the rear are built properly. :beer:

pcarman

Established Member
Installing Diff Girdle

A picture is truly worth 1,000 words. Thanks Project X. 01bluesnake regarding the silicone on the preload bolts, is there a particular brand/type silicone I should use?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread