Instrument cluster wont light up, changed headlight switch, HELP

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
I just got finished changing the headlight switch in hopes of fixing the dash lights, but it didnt work. Also the AC controls dont light up either, but stereo lights up and every exterior light works and dome light.

I have searched but have found no one with a solid answer, i need help. thanks

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
Check power at the switch for the dimmer circuit....if it has power check that it comes out when you turn the switch on and turn the knob for the dimmer....

If it has power in and doesn't have power coming out....its a bad switch....even if its new...if none coming in then you probably have a fuse blown....if it has it coming in and going out....trace wires bahind dahs and find the short....check continuity going out with the ground to test for a short....if you don't have one go get you a cheap voltmeter and start testing...

CrazyPerson

Established Member
have you freshly installed a stereo? my cluster would not work and kept popping fuses and it was the dimmer wire that goes to the stereo it kept grounding out on the frame since i didnt hook it up.

crazycarlo

Established Member
im having this same exact problem man. The blinker switch is the actual "dimmer switch" so the aut websites say you may try that. Im wanting to try it also esp since you said the headlight switch didnt work. Kepp us updated.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
have never touched the stereo, I did the headlight switch last night, so today I guess I'm going to go get a turn signal switch and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll have a friend trace circuits and what not, he's an A&P mech, he'll get it figured out if I cant

crazycarlo

Established Member
yeah I use to ba an avionics tech in the navy on tomcats. last thing I wann do is chase wires. hopefully that blinker switch works for ya.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
look down at your fuse panel. There is a fuse down there for dash lights. I tied into it when i ran my phantom 2 gauges. I believe it is on the right side (towards middle) row of fuses, or its on the second row.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
i am an idiot, i have been checking the wrong fuse. changed it, now dash works

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
i am an idiot, i have been checking the wrong fuse. changed it, now dash works

I can't tell you how many times I tried reading that tiny print on any number of cars and checked the wrong fuse a hundred times before coming to the conclusion I was dumb or blind....atleast its working....

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
soooooo.........what blew the fuses in the above 2 cars? Hopefully you found that problem that caused the fuse to blow in the first place, otherwise, keep a box of fuses handy......

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
I can't tell you how many times I tried reading that tiny print on any number of cars and checked the wrong fuse a hundred times before coming to the conclusion I was dumb or blind....atleast its working....

i finally put in my handy dandy ford service manual dvd, and found the right fuse instantly

Users who are viewing this thread