Insurance for 17-21 year olds for 03-04 Cobras

BrahJ

Thanks everyone for your responses! They are greatly appreciated. I've been wanting a Cobra for a VERY long time, and I'm afraid if I get a GT I would regret it. Also as for the V6 models..I'm just really against muscle cars with a 6 cylinder engine. I might consider waiting another 2 years and see how things come out, and try to get my parents to look around for other insurance companies and maybe try progressive. BTW we are under Nationwide and live in STL, MO.

BULLITT314

Established Member
I'm 23 and pay 140 a month with geico with 2 speeding tickets. Full coverage on 03 cobra and 01 bullitt, also have 97 sable as winter beater/DD. I used to pay 250-300 for just the bullitt a few years back.

VNMUS03

Established Member
It's difficult to determine whether any of these rates are good or not without coverage info.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I'm 36, carry 100/300/100k full coverage with 50 dollar deductibles (Erie Insurance) .... 600 @ year. One of the perks of being old, married with kids. I know you asked for 18-21 ... I've been driving "5.0's" since 16. Back in early/mid 90's I was paying 240-250 a month !!!

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Damn, I cant believe how much some of you guys are paying :eek:

I just opened my policy up to check per each vehicle and this is what mine came out to be (both have full coverage, but I have $1000 deductable)

$29.67/Month for my 98 ZR2 Blazer
$55.83/Month for my 03 Cobra

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
Damn, I cant believe how much some of you guys are paying :eek:

I just opened my policy up to check per each vehicle and this is what mine came out to be (both have full coverage, but I have $1000 deductable)

$29.67/Month for my 98 ZR2 Blazer
$55.83/Month for my 03 Cobra

It helps that you live in Iowa and have a $1000 deductible. Insurance rates are much, much higher in places like New England or California.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Yea I figured it would definitely be lower than the higher population areas but I didn't think it would differ that much.

slow_mach

Established Member
To bring back this page, I just turned 21 in April. My insurance went from $378/MO full coverage, down to $198/MO full coverage with AllState. Still under my parents.

Zemedici

Established Member
I've got multi-policy discount, I'm <25, with a shoddy driving record at best, and I pay ~$140/mo for the cobra

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
There are a lot of rating factors for insurance companies now.

Driving record (obviously a big one)
Credit (getting to be quite big, don't **** up your credit)
Single or married
Multi-policy
Length of time with previous company (don't shop your rates every 6 months and switch, you usually pay more)
Limits of liability with prior coverage
Safety, performance and cost new of vehicle
How far you drive, and how often

Those are just a few, it's getting ridiculous. I was in a meeting and they were talking about how the amount of accidents are on a decline, but the cost of each one is actually higher. Between the more expensive cars and the attorneys who are convincing people to sue every time they get in an accident, we are paying more and more for insurance.

The Progressive Snapshot program patent ran out or something, most companies are now beginning to offer their own versions of them. It's the little dongle you plug into the OBDII, I know Safeco has a version now that will forgive 1 ticket or accident if you plug it in for 3 months or something. Ask your agent if that's something your company will offer in the future.

FWIW, I pay about a grand a year for my 2012 300a coyote with 500,000 in liability and $1,000 deductibles, I'm 24. I know I can get cheaper but I like the company a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread