Insurance is making me...

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
what kind of things am i going to need to add immediatley to start pulling some ponies out my pony?

I know the cobra will be faster but I have heard the mach might be a smaller engine but can still hold its own... any advice?

I need to be able to pull up to a cobra and stay with em thru a roll and thru a dig...

thx
ty

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by DaMuscleMan
hey to all flamers .. theres a nother post on how I make my money go there, im not going to give you the link to it, if you have aneough time to flame me I'm sure you'll have enough time to find the thread.

Thanks to everyone else, I have 10k to put down as a payment, so hopefully that will get something off the sticker price (28,700)

Will the Mach 1 every have the same potential as a caobra? and willI ever be able to match its horsepower?

Thx,
Ty

P.S.

One side not to all flamers... I dont drive like you might have used to, not all teens drive horribly, just like I'm sure all you old timers dont all drive like you are steroetyped to.
Also dont take money issues out on me, I am smart and know how to turn a little into a lot fast, no not by asking my parents, my dad is a cop... he doesnt exactly make bank and neither does my mom... so its all mine, I've earned every penny, so dont hate on me.

scroll up and read about the mach 1 they slaped a blower on. The mach 1 has the potential to run really good numbers. Its pretty much a cobra engine without the eaton.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
I know the cobra will be faster but I have heard the mach might be a smaller engine but can still hold its own... any advice?
smaller engine :??:

With the insane discounts you can get I'd say get the Mach1 and then go the safe route and get your motor built (forged interals). You'd get a forged crank with the 5speed, and I would hope you'd get the 5 speed. Then I'd add a supercharger/turbo and have the peice of mind that it's going to hold together.

But, it sounds like to me no matter what that you're going to regret getting a Mach1. Ever consider getting a used '03 cobra?

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
what kind of things am i going to need to add immediatley to start pulling some ponies out my pony?

I need to be able to pull up to a cobra and stay with em thru a roll and thru a dig...

thx
ty

might want to learn a little bit about the car your thinking about getting it seems you dont know anything.

just to let you know the mach and the cobra motor is the same size

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
Vector....Are you talking about the Mach 1? I f you are, your right I know nothing about it, thats why I have to start doing my research and posted on here to get some info.

The shaker and the s/c/turbo, cant be ran with the shakler right? How hard is it to take the saker off if it needs to be in order to throw like a procharger on it?

I cant afford a cobra, not the insurance at least, even for a 2k3.

ty

rust0r

Established Member
dont you just love it when people have the money to buy things they have no clue about but want it just because its 'cool and fast', meanwhile others who are true enthusiests are just scrapping by in order to have the car of their dreams, rather than just a 'fast car'

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
yeah bro, ^ so does that mean you arent going to help me??? Please dont slutter the thread

thx and sooory I know how to manage and make money,

Ty

rust0r

Established Member
maybe you should attend school instead of 'managing and making money' because clearly what i said had nothing to do with your ability to make money. It was about it bothering me how some people WITH money buy things they have no clue about, just because its cool to have

Last edited:

NODOZE

Established Member
As far as insurance, Cobra Vs. GT Vs. Mach 1 won't be much different. They're all in the worst-car-to-cover-highest-percentage-of-accidents-blah-blah-blah category.

All "young kid" comments aside and taking the insurance being about the same fact, I would recommend waiting until you had enough for the Cobra. You're already talking about how to make the Mach faster and will be kicking yourself when a Cobra drives by. And maybe if it takes another year, the insurance might level out. BTW, taking a driver's ed class might help. JMO and observations

My $.02:
16 w/ a 400+ HP car... if I were your parents, I would have a cardiac arrest every time I heard the car start up in the driveway. You're parents must be very understanding. Actually, my first car was an 85 Z-28 with the 305 in it. Not fast like the Cobra, but fast for a 16 YO. My dad tells me now that he respected my decision at the time (I'm 29 now) but he and my mom worried like a MoFo when I was out with it... food for thought...

good luck with it...

-Brian

Last edited:

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
good thing about my parents are they, im sure they still do worry, but they say that they understand that i have to grow up sometime and the first ticket i get will be the last day i drive while i live with them...

Buying the cobra isnt the problem, its paying for insurance unless it goes down to arround 3,000 a year i wont bea able to afford it.

-ty

Black_Mach1

A stock Mach 1 is rated at 305 hp, actually HP is around 325,
and you want to modify the car to get even more HP? Why in the world would a 16 year old kid need more than 325hp??? What did you plan on doing with all that power? As far as insurance goes, I was told by my insurance company the difference between a Mach 1 and a Cobra was only about $100 a year, because of your age, you are going to paying a very high insurance premium regardless which car you get.

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
^ Iput in a call to my insurance today and they said they would get back to me on monday, I hope mine is a bigger difference than $100, if it isnt, I odnt know if I would be able to bring myself to degrading the mustang down to a GT, I guess its better than rice... but how much?

I want to run low 12s and high 11s thats the kind of car I want...

Ty

^ Iput in a call to my insurance today and they said they would get back to me on monday, I hope mine is a bigger difference than $100, if it isnt, I odnt know if I would be able to bring myself to degrading the mustang down to a GT, I guess its better than rice... but how much?

I want to run low 12s and high 11s thats the kind of car I want...

Ty

Can you get your mom or dad to insure the car in their name as a pleasure vehicle?

Also, I know this is a totally different gear, but if you have saved that much money, I would continue saving and use that money for college. Not as fun as a car, but it would definitely pay off better in the long run.

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
Well the deal with the insurance is that we have 2 cars already, an escape and an expedition, so the primary drivers are my mom and dad and i am a secondary on both, well with getting aniother car i will have to be a primary driver, and since it will be my car it will be me because my parents dont want to pay the extra amount if they dont get to drive it. so you cant have 3 cars and 2 primary drivers and a secondary driver, you hjave to have 3 primary drivers.

My parents have a colleeg fund set aside, but I also have/ am working with the university of hawaii to go there on scholarship, i am flyingout there on their expense in august.

ty

Well the deal with the insurance is that we have 2 cars already, an escape and an expedition, so the primary drivers are my mom and dad and i am a secondary on both, well with getting aniother car i will have to be a primary driver, and since it will be my car it will be me because my parents dont want to pay the extra amount if they dont get to drive it. so you cant have 3 cars and 2 primary drivers and a secondary driver, you hjave to have 3 primary drivers.

My parents have a colleeg fund set aside, but I also have/ am working with the university of hawaii to go there on scholarship, i am flyingout there on their expense in august.

ty

A pleasure vehicle should be under a different classification. Either your mom or dad should be able to list themselves as primary because it's only a pleasure vehicle, not a daily driver (wink wink). Then you just agree to pay them the monthly costs. I'm sure that varies depending on your insurance company though.

DaMuscleMan

Established Member
^ neevr heard of that, ill look into it tomorrow and ask them about it.

thx for that piece might save me... maybe it will drastically change the insurance rate and maybe I wont be haveing a dilema with the mach 1 and ill go cobra gaain.... you just made my night... as far as cars go....

ty

^ neevr heard of that, ill look into it tomorrow and ask them about it.

thx for that piece might save me... maybe it will drastically change the insurance rate and maybe I wont be haveing a dilema with the mach 1 and ill go cobra gaain.... you just made my night... as far as cars go....

ty

See I go from mildly flaming you to making your night. :lol: :lol: That insurance advice can be risky though. The insurance company could possibly take action if they find out the pleasure vehicle registered to your dad is really your daily driver, but as long as you don't f*** up you should be fine.

To give you an example of how much that can change your rate, I knew of a "person" once who did something similar in their late teens. Their rate went from $300-$400 a month in their name to slighty less than $100 a month in their parent's name. Good times indeed.

Spud04

Established Member
It's kids like you who drive me crazy. I've been there, I've been that kid.

Listen man, first, the car WON'T be yours, it'll be your parents. You say your paying for it? Yea, what's on the title bud. Same reason I got my mom to sell the z28 that I payed for but it was in her name. Now i'm workin my ass off trying to run my business and buy and sell cars just to get a nice down payment for the cobra. I have a gracious dad that is going to be co-signing for me, and oh how i'm lucky.

When I was 16 I got a 1997 Camaro Rs, fully paid by my father. Loved it. Then he bought me a 02 Z28 a year and a half later, that I paid him for. 7 days later.. it was on the median. I've regreted it ever day, pretty soon got a 99 z28, and got a crap load of tickets.. you know the usaul crap. Then I started racing and crap it's not worth it and stupid.
DO THEY KNOW WHAT IT SAYS ON THE SIDE OF MY CAR? Z28. period.

eh.. none the less, my help is, get something you can make money of off, sell it in a year, make money, do it agian, and again. Then when your 18 get what you want, or try.

and insurance, they CAN put it in primary for them, that's what I have done and a couple of my friends, and my mother had 4 other vehicles. If they can't they can open another policy and put them on primary, then you on secondary. Of course I had a gracious mother to help me out.

I've had my help all around, now i'm 18 and am going to put 10k down, and my dad is going to co-sign for my grad. present. Oh how much I appreciate it, otherwise i'd be rolling a 10~11k car. Which i'd still be happy with, because it would be MY car.

My opinion would be just to.. get what you get and have fun. Don't get a v8, you WILL get addicted and get into trouble. I have, and I can't stop.

Last edited:

Spud04

Established Member
Originally posted by Euphoric One
See I go from mildly flaming you to making your night. :lol: :lol: That insurance advice can be risky though. The insurance company could possibly take action if they find out the pleasure vehicle registered to your dad is really your daily driver, but as long as you don't f*** up you should be fine.

To give you an example of how much that can change your rate, I knew of a "person" once who did something similar in their late teens. Their rate went from $300-$400 a month in their name to slighty less than $100 a month in their parent's name. Good times indeed.

Yea when we did it on my 02 Z. It was like 98 bucks.. then me and my mom did it on the 99, and it was about 270 with me secondary. My friends all w/ there parents, lightning - 280, 95 trans am - 274, 99 gt - 270, 98 z28 - 268, and mine was 302 last.

Yo kid your going to be looking at around 250~350 for insurance under secondary, otherwise it's going to be 600+, easy.

Users who are viewing this thread