4e52a527b8f643b9088629d978c90859.jpg

ccbd1af025ddeec780b2886e9a381572.jpg

5f0712b8793083ca69c564db244102c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great upgrade. Must have for all the big blower or high power guys.
For all other ‘07-12s, these intake mods and the upgrade ‘13-14 cooler brick is worth the $500-1000 if you’re upgrading the blower.
-J

PM-Performance

Established Member
Curious to see some data on IAT's after the brick replacement. I been wanting to do this on mine for awhile now. I think this needs to be the next major mod I do

genesmob

Established Member
Dont have any concrete iat data yet although it seems noticably better. The big deal so far is less pressure drop across the core. I picked up about 2psi boost!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Dont have any concrete iat data yet although it seems noticably better. The big deal so far is less pressure drop across the core. I picked up about 2psi boost!

^^^^Yes, I believe that is the primary design of this KB I/C, is to remove restriction and increase flow. Restriction robs power. Temp. drop is a bonus.....

R

PM-Performance

Established Member
Interesting to know about that much boost added. I do not feel comfortable making the change now as I do not want to run more boost than I am on pump gas. So I guess E85 is my next move

sleek98

Established Member
Interesting to know about that much boost added. I do not feel comfortable making the change now as I do not want to run more boost than I am on pump gas. So I guess E85 is my next move

Seems a little odd if he did all the mods at the same time. When I ported and modded my lower intake it dropped the boost 1-1.5psi. if hes saying he gained 2 psi while doing the port work along with the big gun that would mean the big gun added 3ish psi?

Honestly if you wanting to stay at your current level do the mods and then pulley up one size to stay where you are, plus side would be even less heat from the blower spinning a touch slower and more power. The lower port work is worth 20-25 alone with no other changes.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Seems a little odd if he did all the mods at the same time. When I ported and modded my lower intake it dropped the boost 1-1.5psi. if hes saying he gained 2 psi while doing the port work along with the big gun that would mean the big gun added 3ish psi?

Honestly if you wanting to stay at your current level do the mods and then pulley up one size to stay where you are, plus side would be even less heat from the blower spinning a touch slower and more power. The lower port work is worth 20-25 alone with no other changes.

Yes, I agree. I was under the impression that because of the BIGUN install, it allowed this owner to add 2psi worth of mods because of the psi drop after the BIGUN install. Basically he gained 2psi to work with.....

The KB site lists the IC CFM flow for the oem 2007-2012, 2013/14 and the BIGUN and the CFM flow rate "should" decrease the restriction/boost and allow for more power mods to get back to that original psi point if an owner chooses to do so?

R

genesmob

Established Member
Then pulley down to your desired boost. It should be more wfficient

genesmob

Established Member
This is a whipple 4.0 already making well over 1000whp through a 4l80e auto. With these big blowers stock size ic with the bypass shelf covering it becomes a huge restriction sometimes 2-3 psi more above the core than below. Raising or removing the bypass shelf will help reduce backpressure allowing the lower area to see more boost. The wider big gun will further improve this. We will see how much it helped soon

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a stock intake and a fully modified intake with KB BIGUN.
VMP will shortly have a competing option.
I would ONLY run the newer KB bricks, earlier ones have had failures. I know 3 personally, one being mine.
I also have a stock 4000mile ‘13-14 I’ll be selling.
Here’s some pics:
-J
34C67AE9-2CBC-4387-AAE7-57AF2EE31B25.jpeg
88158888-04D5-4BBE-899A-F54708FE49C2.jpeg
061348ED-E85D-4F05-A235-13C4D0C20614.jpeg
467F66D2-1C9B-4B43-B49B-A808E541DAD9.jpeg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
^^^^WOW!! What a nice wide surface area for the compressed air to flow through......and the additional coolant rows.......Nice!!

The larger the IC surface, the more heat can be transferred into the S/C cooling system (before the heat gets into the engine) and then radiated out at the H/E...............and then the CFM flow upgrade also.....NICE!!

BTW - If anyone has a nice coolant tube adapter that bolts to the front of the lower intake, I am looking for one to buy. Thanks

R

genesmob

Established Member
This is a stock intake and a fully modified intake with KB BIGUN.
VMP will shortly have a competing option.
I would ONLY run the newer KB bricks, earlier ones have had failures. I know 3 personally, one being mine.
I also have a stock 4000mile ‘13-14 I’ll be selling.
Here’s some pics:
-JView attachment 1639132View attachment 1639133 View attachment 1639134View attachment 1639135

My video shows a gen 2 kb intercooler. Im unaware of any issues with the second version. I did comprehensive pressure testing before putting it in. Id be leary about the other new cores out there until they have a lot of time in many cars like the KB does. A leak could be a very bad day.

Last edited:

genesmob

Established Member
^^^^WOW!! What a nice wide surface area for the compressed air to flow through......and the additional coolant rows.......Nice!!

The larger the IC surface, the more heat can be transferred into the S/C cooling system (before the heat gets into the engine) and then radiated out at the H/E...............and then the CFM flow upgrade also.....NICE!!

BTW - If anyone has a nice coolant tube adapter that bolts to the front of the lower intake, I am looking for one to buy. Thanks

R

The gen2 kb big gun is also slightly shorter in depth than the 13-14 IC. I think they biased the design toward less pressure drop through the core.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The gen2 kb big gun is also slightly shorter in depth than the 13-14 IC. I think they biased the design toward less pressure drop through the core.

Do you have a row (coolant tube) count between the 2013/14 and the BIGUN? I am not positive, but I think the difference was 11 rows vs. 13 rows. The 2013/14 I/C fits in the same 2007-2014 lower intake, so there is not additional CFM flow because of width in the rectangle opening below the blower? Is the additional CFM air flow on the 2013/14 I/C because the rows (coolant tubes) are thinner in comparison to the 2007/2012 IC? The air is pushed through the same rectangle hole under the blower in a 2007-2014 lower intake, so something has to be different in the IC design for the large CFM flow as tested by Kenne Bell.

R

genesmob

Established Member
KB ic has 14 rows is slightly longer core, slightly less depth. I widened, smoothed base of intake and pan to get back some of the area lost for the wider kb ic. Fact still remains that there is 1/3 more area around the tightest part core to manifold than the ported intake inlets so its a non issue.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
KB ic has 14 rows is slightly longer core, slightly less depth. I widened, smoothed base of ic and pan to get back some of the area lost for the wider kb ic. Fact still remains that there is 1/3 more area around the tightest part core to manifold than the ported intake inlets so its a non issue.

Thanks for the info.

R

Users who are viewing this thread