Intake & Tune/red key program???

ArabianOak

Established Member
I picked the boss up a few days ago and really LOVE the car. It drives just like all the magazines say! LOL.

My red key is getting programmed next week but my question is whether or not I should do that, if I plan on getting an intake and tune for the boss anyways...

1. If your car has an intake/tune will this screw up the way the red key tunes the car? Will the car run rich or lean with an intake and the red key?

2. Also, what is the best intake/tune kit for the Boss? I already have a SCT scanner...can I load any tune on that?

Thanks!

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
If you are positive you are going to get a tune, I would wait. no sense in throwing money out.

I would not mix red key and new parts.

A john Lund tune I have heard is the best and you can have it emailed to you and you download the tune into your SCT for the install. As far as intake, most on here like the JLT, It seems to work as good if not better than most Big name brands and the customer service is second to none.

I have heard rumors that tuners are trying to replicate what ford did and use the 2 keys so you wont have to keep uploading different tunes.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I ordered the JMS tune this morning, should have it installed this afternoon. The red key runs off a seperate area of the ECU and unless programmed with the tune (meaning the red key is in the ignition when uploading tune) then there is no need to worry.

Will report back once install is complete...

Dagwood

Established Member
I agree if you are getting an aftermarket tune then I would not bother with the Trak Key program. Especially if you do not plan to use your car on track. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread