Inter cooler reservoir overflow?

Furrytractor

Established Member
Took the cobra out for a spin last night, wanted to have some fun so I didn't some wot runs. Only thing I found odd was that the car slipped when shifting quickly into 4th. But my real concern was when I opened the hood today and saw that something had leaked. It looks like the inter cooler reservoir has sprayed in the compartment. The level has gone down about an inch. Any reason why this would happen?

Furrytractor

Established Member
Edit* just watched a video explaining how to check in the I/c pump. I'll check tonight on that.

Last edited:

Furrytractor

Established Member
So I just checked, and after jumpering the box by the intake it's indicating that my pump is dead. Guess it's time to research on the change out. Is it unwise to drive with it out? I drive to and from work in it, only about 5 miles, but I could ride my bike if it's too risky to drive it

TXEnginerd

Established Member
try tapping on the pump with a wrench while it's jumpered on. if it's not totally dead, that may be enough to kick start it. has worked for me before.

Furrytractor

Established Member
try tapping on the pump with a wrench while it's jumpered on. if it's not totally dead, that may be enough to kick start it. has worked for me before.
Thanks, I'll have to try that tonight. I also tried blowing into the lines to push air through if it might be locked, no luck there

Blueline

Established Member
:beer: glad its just the pump. You can try to clean out the pump to get you by till the new one arrives, but no boost. Your IAT2 temps will be high, it will pull timing, but detonation is still a possibility. You can drive it just no WOT pulls.

Furrytractor

Established Member
:beer: glad its just the pump. You can try to clean out the pump to get you by till the new one arrives, but no boost. Your IAT2 temps will be high, it will pull timing, but detonation is still a possibility. You can drive it just no WOT pulls.

Ya no kidding there. Every time something new pops up I think the worst.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
try taking the pump apart and cleaning all the plastic dust that builds up. my cobra did that at wot i saw some fluid come out of the hood. jumped relay and got nothing. then took the pump out and poped the screws to open it up and a bunch of black plastic dust fell out so i cleaned it with a keyboard cleaner and its still running 5000+ miles later haha

Furrytractor

Established Member
try taking the pump apart and cleaning all the plastic dust that builds up. my cobra did that at wot i saw some fluid come out of the hood. jumped relay and got nothing. then took the pump out and poped the screws to open it up and a bunch of black plastic dust fell out so i cleaned it with a keyboard cleaner and its still running 5000+ miles later haha

No kidding? Well I will hold off on ordering a new one and I'll try that on Monday. Although I may order one anyway as a backup. Was it fairly straight forward to take apart and put back together?

Blueline

Established Member
No kidding? Well I will hold off on ordering a new one and I'll try that on Monday. Although I may order one anyway as a backup. Was it fairly straight forward to take apart and put back together?

Yes, drain the system into a clean container, remove pump, unscrew the Phillips head screws, pull the pump apart and tap it lightly till all the black dust comes out. Reverse the process and your good. I would still consider a new pump though.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Your 10 year old pump is old and dying.
Just spend the $$ and buy a new one.
They are cheap.

Furrytractor

Established Member
Your 10 year old pump is old and dying.
Just spend the $$ and buy a new one.
They are cheap.
Ya I am starting to think I will buy one and try to have a backup at all times. Especially for the ~$100 that it is.

Yes, drain the system into a clean container, remove pump, unscrew the Phillips head screws, pull the pump apart and tap it lightly till all the black dust comes out. Reverse the process and your good. I would still consider a new pump though.

Sounds like I have my Monday afternoon planned out. Thanks :beer:

Steve@Tasca

I'd also take a good look at the tank for cracks, I've been seeing more and more of those I/C reservoir tanks cracking as they age.

I've got the pumps in stock as well if you do need one $108.90 before the "SVTP" 5% off coupon. :)

-Steve

Furrytractor

Established Member
I'd also take a good look at the tank for cracks, I've been seeing more and more of those I/C reservoir tanks cracking as they age.

I've got the pumps in stock as well if you do need one $108.90 before the "SVTP" 5% off coupon. :)

-Steve

I did take a look at the take, looks to be in decent condition with no cracks that I can see. Thanks for the heads up on the pump, I'll put my order in tomorrow.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ive had 2 pumps go bad..ive taken both apart to find both had same problem..1 broken brush..

Ive made 1 good pump from 2..

Users who are viewing this thread