Intercooler pump again

Federico Garza

Established Member
Geez are these really that bad, my aeroforce gauge gave me a heads up today high IAT2s, then came down, this would be my 2nd pump in my 3 year ownership, 2008 gt500.

This was a brand new bosch replacement pump, so my question is now, is the 13/14 more reliable than these?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Geez are these really that bad, my aeroforce gauge gave me a heads up today high IAT2s, then came down, this would be my 2nd pump in my 3 year ownership, 2008 gt500.

This was a brand new bosch replacement pump, so my question is now, is the 13/14 more reliable than these?

I have read that the 2013/14 pump is more reliable than the 2007-2012 Bosch pump and it has more GPM flow also, but it will require some mounting mods to get it working in the 2007-2012 I/C system.

The 2013/14 pump can also be mounted in the oem 2013/14 timing cover location on the 2007-2012 with the oem 2013/14 hardware, it is pretty much a plug and play with the electric steering 2011/12 and requires P/S pressure line mod for the 2007-2010. I have pictures of the 2013/14 I/C pump installed in the oem 2013/14 location on my 2008 if you want some ideas on going forward with a 2013/14 pump install on your 2008.

R

genesmob

Established Member

Replace it with 13/14 pump. Flows much better & I think its brushless so should last longer.

Federico Garza

Established Member
If you made a thread please give me the link, im surely going this route.

Thanks in advance.

I have read that the 2013/14 pump is more reliable than the 2007-2012 Bosch pump and it has more GPM flow also, but it will require some mounting mods to get it working in the 2007-2012 I/C system.

The 2013/14 pump can also be mounted in the oem 2013/14 timing cover location on the 2007-2012 with the oem 2013/14 hardware, it is pretty much a plug and play with the electric steering 2011/12 and requires P/S pressure line mod for the 2007-2010. I have pictures of the 2013/14 I/C pump installed in the oem 2013/14 location on my 2008 if you want some ideas on going forward with a 2013/14 pump install on your 2008.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
If you made a thread please give me the link, im surely going this route.

Thanks in advance.

No thread yet, I did the research on what it takes to install the newer pump on my car, I bought the parts and installed them and also had a P/S hose made to work around the location of the 2013/14 pump but I also installed the 2013/14 radiator shroud and am in the process of changing to Evans waterless high performance coolant and a factory looking install of the Roush 3X reservoir without mods or rerouting of my original I/C hoses so I have many things going at one related to cooling upgrades on my 2008 right now.

Here are a few pictures of the 2013/14 pump installed on my 2008 in the oem 2013/14 location, also the modded P/S hose is shown over the pump in a couple of the pictures.

Here is the original problem with the 2013/14 pump install on the 2007-2010, the steel P/S pressure line is where the pump needs to mount.....

004_zpsov3mcyac.jpg

008_zpsaoilwfnz.jpg

^^^^The only option is to remove the steel line, cut out the area where the pump mounts and then have a high pressure hose made to go around the pump..........

Below - Pump installed with factory hardware...........

008_zpshx1pa712.jpg

New/mod P/S pressure hose in place.........

001_zpsxamhwkpo.jpg

The hose fits just right between the 2013/14 pump and the P/S reservoir.......

009_zpsi7e3yxjf.jpg

^^^^In the picture above, the oem 2013/14 oem I/C reservoir by-pass hose is also in place and connected to my original small I/C reservoir for fitment purposes. The 2013/14 by-pass hose shown above connected to the pump is also an important player in this install.

There is more to it, the plug ends are different on the 2007-2012 pump vs. the 2013/14 pump, I researched the needed harness pieces to make all of that work also. My goal was to make the install as factory looking as possible. The modded steel line/hose connection is hidden under the P/S reservoir and the other end is by the alternator under the CAI, other than that P/S hose mod, everything else is plug and play. <<<But, it takes a couple of trips to the person who custom makes the P/S hose, actually the hose shown in the picture is now a shorter loop than shown in the picture because it interfered with the heat shield on my KB GIMME 5 CAI install (also happening at this time), so the hose had to be shortened, in my opinion it even looks more factory install with the shortened hose.

R

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
For your 2008, VMP sells the 13-14' pump, appropriate wiring for the upgrade, and bracket for the relocation, if you want to go this route. The relocation in directly under the drivers side headlight. Not a bad install. Takes a little creativeness to run the IC hoses. And when upgrading to the VMP triple pass HE, this is where the pump relocation is recommended.

Some good info, (and unfortunately argument) for this whole dynamic:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/comprehensive-ic-water-pump-system-test-data.1088376/

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
For your 2008, VMP sells the 13-14' pump, appropriate wiring for the upgrade, and bracket for the relocation, if you want to go this route. The relocation in directly under the drivers side headlight. Not a bad install. Takes a little creativeness to run the IC hoses. And when upgrading to the VMP triple pass HE, this is where the pump relocation is recommended.

Some good info, (and unfortunately argument) for this whole dynamic:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/comprehensive-ic-water-pump-system-test-data.1088376/

^^^^There is an owner who did this install, and in the end he found that the coolant was flowing too fast (turbulence) through his I/C tank and introducing air into the system.............and then that 2013/14 by-pass hose comes into play........The SVT engineers found that keeping the majority of the I/C-H/E coolant flow out of the degas bottle was better than flowing all coolant through it. Air in the cooling system makes it less efficient, and by-passing the system with the majority of the coolant flow allows the degas process to work with the bottle on the side lines (as it were), but minimizes the full coolant flow through the area where the air is, there is actually a restrictor in the 2013/14 I/C hose to limit the amount of flow to the degas bottle and keep the main flow away from the degas air. <<There is a reason why this new set-up was designed for 2013, and this is why the pump was mounted where it was by the designers. That is why I mentioned the 2013/14 I/C hose as being a main player in this system.............To keep the majority of the I/C-H/E coolant away from the degas bottle air. The position of that hose is also important, the bottle is higher (where the air would go), and the pump connection is at the lower end with the degas as shown in my picture.

I did buy the VMP harness kit to use as a plug-n-play "extension cord" to the pump timing cover location, I was thinking it was to relocate the 2007-2012 pump which has a different pigtail end? if so, all I have to do is solder and heat shrink the correct 2013/14 pigtail end on the VMP harness, so the power will be from the original 2007-2012 location and snake its way to the drivers side timing cover location, all looking factory installed. The correct 2013/14 pump pigtail end can be found on a factory 3-pigtail harness that includes the 2013 I/C pump, CAI connector and cam timing sensor (I think), the harness from Ford was $10 or so.

R

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
My brother has an E55 AMG, that comes factory equipped with the same Bosch IC pump as us. At one of their club dyno sessions, there was talk of this pump. There appears to be an "updated" version of this pump for their cars, that lasts longer and/or flows more and bolts right in. The main guru there said, "the revised one's part number ends with a 0". I didn't really follow up on it, but I'll ask him to provide more info. Unless anyone else knows about this too.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

How high were the IAT2s?

Federico Garza

Established Member
My brother has an E55 AMG, that comes factory equipped with the same Bosch IC pump as us. At one of their club dyno sessions, there was talk of this pump. There appears to be an "updated" version of this pump for their cars, that lasts longer and/or flows more and bolts right in. The main guru there said, "the revised one's part number ends with a 0". I didn't really follow up on it, but I'll ask him to provide more info. Unless anyone else knows about this too.

0392-022-010 this is the part that I found to be the upgraded pump, Im trying to find out whats changed on it for better reliability...

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
0392-022-010 this is the part that I found to be the upgraded pump, Im trying to find out whats changed on it for better reliability...

Good work. If it is upgraded, might be worth buying. I know there are a few E55 owners here that might know.

Last edited:

Wingrider

Established Member
So for those of us with stock IC pumps and run some form of dual pass system, what upgrade pump are we talking about here? I think Lethal also sells a pump that comes with brackets and bolts right up without drama.

Geez all the pump options can be overwhelming.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
So for those of us with stock IC pumps and run some form of dual pass system, what upgrade pump are we talking about here? I think Lethal also sells a pump that comes with brackets and bolts right up without drama.

Geez all the pump options can be overwhelming.

When you say "stock I/C pumps" are you referring to stock 2007-2012 or stock 2013/14?

In 2013 Ford/SVT upsized the H/E on the GT500 and they also upsized the I/C pump flow. I see many people upsizing their H/E, but few also upsizing their pump flow, and then the upsize of the I/C on the 2013 also..... It all works together. My thoughts are (and they could be totally off base), that Ford (the SVT engineers) spend much time and money in testing the GT500 S/C cooling system over the 2007-2014 time period and for a production (no fans) set-up they came up with what we see on the 2013. I say "no fans" on the 2013 H/E but if you look at the upsize in the 2013 radiator fan shroud which also contributes to the cooling of the H/E, there is an additional function with that fan shroud that is not found on the 2007-2012..........again, it all works together.

I also believe that incorporating as much of the 2013/14 SVT cooling R&D into an earlier car along with an aftermarket H/E with fans can only help the system to be more efficient, but it does cost $$$ to get it all pulled together. The nice thing is..........deep pockets Ford did the R&D on the 2013/14 GT500 cooling system parts and much of that system can be retro'ed to the earlier cars as an upgrade, with some even better aftermarket items also added into the mix.

R

Wingrider

Established Member
I'm sorry, you're right I wasn't clear. While I was looking at this from the 7-12 GT500 perspective, I could also see this as for 13-14 owners who want more.

There are lots of us who want to upgrade our 7-12s and do it in an easier way. I happen to have an 11. I agree I trust that Ford did a lot of research, but to your point they didn't go dual pass/fans and that widens the scope of what pump could match the better HE's.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm sorry, you're right I wasn't clear. While I was looking at this from the 7-12 GT500 perspective, I could also see this as for 13-14 owners who want more.

There are lots of us who want to upgrade our 7-12s and do it in an easier way. I happen to have an 11. I agree I trust that Ford did a lot of research, but to your point they didn't go dual pass/fans and that widens the scope of what pump could match the better HE's.

If you have a 2011 (or a 2012), the 2013/14 H/E pump is virtually a plug and play. You have no P/S pressure line to deal with. All you would have to do is buy the 2013/14 pump and hardware for mounting it in the oem location as I showed in my pix above, buy a $10-$11 harness pigtail from Ford that plugs into that 2013/14 pump, pick up a 2013/14 I/C tank by-pass hose and pump to H/E from eBay (take-offs) and get the 12V from your original 2011 pump location to the $10-$11 pigtail end that plugs into the 2013/14 pump. It is not a complicated install on the 2011/12 since you do not have to deal with a P/S steel line...............And the beautiful thing is.........it looks like it came there from Ford and works like the SVT engineers designed it to work.

R

Wingrider

Established Member
If you have a 2011 (or a 2012), the 2013/14 H/E pump is virtually a plug and play. You have no P/S pressure line to deal with. All you would have to do is buy the 2013/14 pump and hardware for mounting it in the oem location as I showed in my pix above, buy a $10-$11 harness pigtail from Ford that plugs into that 2013/14 pump, pick up a 2013/14 I/C tank by-pass hose and pump to H/E from eBay (take-offs) and get the 12V from your original 2011 pump location to the $10-$11 pigtail end that plugs into the 2013/14 pump. It is not a complicated install on the 2011/12 since you do not have to deal with a P/S steel line...............And the beautiful thing is.........it looks like it came there from Ford and works like the SVT engineers designed it to work. R

PM sent Robert.... :)

genesmob

Established Member
I have a vmp triple pass he with fans, a moroso combination coolant/he tank and a 13/14 pump. Over 997whp thru an auto trans under 115 iat2 on a dyno pull, under 130iat2 on a 150mph quarter mile pass at 22.5 psi. No ice just run pump n fans between passes. I did notice some aeration when switching to the bigger pump but it was easily cured by upping the water level of the tank.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread