Intercooler pump trouble shooting...

32V SVT

Established Member
Hey All, I need to know where the relay is that controls the electric pump for the Intercooler system on my 03 Cobra. I'm not sure at this point if the relay's bad, or if maybe the pump itself needs replacing. I hope to replace the relay and see what happens... I found the reservoir was empty this weekend when I went to change my oil... I refilled it, but haven't heard the pump kick in at all...
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-G

2face

Established Member
sorry not sure where the relay is i had a problem with my intercooler pump last year it was going on and off think the pump was takin a dump. so i hot wired it from the batt just to check to make sure it was working properly.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Hey All, I need to know where the relay is that controls the electric pump for the Intercooler system on my 03 Cobra. I'm not sure at this point if the relay's bad, or if maybe the pump itself needs replacing. I hope to replace the relay and see what happens... I found the reservoir was empty this weekend when I went to change my oil... I refilled it, but haven't heard the pump kick in at all...
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-G

Fill up the I/C reservoir and jump it...if it doesn't kick on...reach under the passenger side wheel well, and give it a tap with a hammer/wrench...sometimes they air lock...more likely than not it's the I/C pump, not the relay but it wouldn't hurt to check the fuse...
BTW, do this 1st...this should help find the problem...I jump my I/C between dyno runs to keep the car cooling with the motor off...you can jump the I/C pump with the car off just to let you know...good luck
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14078

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Fill up the I/C reservoir and jump it...if it doesn't kick on...reach under the passenger side wheel well, and give it a tap with a hammer/wrench...sometimes they air lock...more likely than not it's the I/C pump, not the relay but it wouldn't hurt to check the fuse...

+1
Try jumping it,here is the location,right side inner fender.
ICJumper.jpg

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
One other thing to try is unplugging and replugging the I/C pump electrical connector a few times. The connectors can get buildup on them, one way or another, and this cleans them off pretty good. Before doing this, my pump was moody and would only come on after about 10 mins of driving. Now, mine fires up with the motor.

32V SVT

Established Member
Looks like my pump is on the way out... I followed all the suggestions with the plug, and did the hot wire bypass, still no pump action. I went ahead and tapped on the pump motor with a ball peen hammer, and it started spinning up... So, I guess it's just a matter of time before the darn thing dies all together. Dealer wants $325. for a replacement... Wasn't there someone on SVTP working at a Dealer giving discounts to members here? The name Steve comes to mind, but I don't remember his ID on the site... Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Thanks!

-G

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Looks like my pump is on the way out... I followed all the suggestions with the plug, and did the hot wire bypass, still no pump action. I went ahead and tapped on the pump motor with a ball peen hammer, and it started spinning up... So, I guess it's just a matter of time before the darn thing dies all together. Dealer wants $325. for a replacement... Wasn't there someone on SVTP working at a Dealer giving discounts to members here? The name Steve comes to mind, but I don't remember his ID on the site... Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Thanks!

-G

That's exactly what mine did...gave it a little tap...been workin' fine ever since...

twoshoesmike

Hybrid, burns gas&rubber
Established Member
$89 intercooler pump

Don't know if this is in time or not, but I just got a pump from blueovalindustries.com, for $89. Exact same pump from the dealer. It even came in a Ford Racing Parts box.

twoshoesmike

Hybrid, burns gas&rubber
Established Member
P.s.

Oh, and I forgot. I would get a new electrical connector if I were you, also. Couldn't find it anywhere but the Ford dealer, for $40, but well worth the money as the old ones are really crap and the new one came with butt connectors and heat shrink tubing and fit a lot better than the old one.

32V SVT

Established Member
It's under the passenger side front facia... You'll see where the inner fender well ends, and it opens up to where the front fascia meets... There's a pocket in there where you'll see some plumbing come together into the pump... Should see a Bosch sticker on the pump housing too...

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Hadnt noticed this thread but my IC pump was also screwed up. My car was actually pinging after a few wot pulls. While the engine was at normal temp the water in the resovoir was stanging still. I tryed jumping the pump and it still would not come on. I tapped it a few times with a wrench and it came on. Now its on all the time, I think the tune is set for it to come on at lower temps. Well i gues from the iat being so high the computer was pulling timming and causing the detonation. Its all better now and all because of the damb pump. Its a good idea to always pay attention to see if its working. Im thinking of riging up a light on the dash that will tell me if the pump is off or on. Im gona put one on order asap.

32V SVT

Established Member
Im thinking of riging up a light on the dash that will tell me if the pump is off or on.

That light on the dash thing was a thought I had myself... Only question is, shouldn't this pump be running at all times? It's strange that non operation and engine pinging wouldn't trigger a MIL on the dash? I'm surprised there's no sensor in the reservoir to indicate when it's low or empty either... I found mine empty not long ago when I did an oil change... No idea how long it had been like that, and I've detected No leaks anywhere either... It's a little unsetteling that this system is not better monitored...

gt347mustang

Established Member
At the track this weekend my pump wasn't working for the first run!!!

When i got back after a low trap i opened the hood to see the water was low(sprayed all over) and not flowing!

i unplugged and replugged in the pump and it worked fine the rest of the day... must have been a bad connection.

time to figure out how to make the connections better!

96lowbra

SN8KE B.I.T.3
Established Member
mines turns on like in 4-7 minutes is something wrong or its ok but if I
wanted to be on all the time what would it do or happend any info

bradlewis30

Established Member
i odered a new as well from blue oval but alot of the times i try to jump it, it wont work till the car warms up dont know why thoe seem to be the same thing as 96lowbra car does

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Its not the pump thats bad, its the connection. Mine is set to run at all times with the tune i have. I have seen the water not flowing in my resovoir. If i wiggle the connector on the pump it comes on. Thats why when people say that they hit it with a wrench the pump starts working. Its not the impact on the pump that turns it on its the bibration that moves the connector. Also when i move the connector around it seems to speed up the pump or make it louder. Try this before you buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread