Intercooler Radiator Shot - Help

PacWest

Established Member
I took my 03 to the dealership this morning to pull codes and see why a check engine light came on last week.

They just called and told me one of the problems is there is NO Coolant in the intercooler and the intercooler radiator has a big hole in it.

They will not warranty it because they say a rock must have hit it. I guess that's possible, but I don't know when it would have happened. I look at my engine all the time and thought there was coolant in there last week.

So, it's $650 for a new factory intercooler radiator. Is there an aftermarket one I should get instead?? Do you guys think this should be covered by warrenty?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

1992B4C

Established Member
I dont think warrenty will cover that. Maybe your insurance. But get a bigger after market heat exchanger with electric fans cheaper that $650.00. Crap, most radiators do not cost over $200.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Is it the radiator or the heat exchanger? The heat exchanger is between the 2 fog lights ... the radiator is behind the front emblem.

If it's the heat exchanger, buy an aftermarket one.

PacWest

Established Member
Heat Exchanger - thanks for the correct terminlolgy. Who should I look at for them?

Thanks,
Ryan

1992B4C

Established Member
Xtreme perf. or Gordsford. I see them post quite often here and maybe do a search. They have pictures with their posts that show them. Good luck.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
There are LOTS! Most people upgrade them anyway! the best one that bolts right in is Gord's Ford!!! $400. You can get it in black, aluminum, or even COBRA on the front.

There's AFCO, lightning force performance, Xtreme .. etc etc! If you ever plan to get more boost, you'll end up getting a new H.E. anyway!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would definitely buy an aftermarket HE before I'd buy another stock one. You're going to pay a premium for a Ford part anyway.

PacWest

Established Member
You guys are great! Thanks a lot for the help! I do plan on getting more boost and all the typical mods. I got this car used (2,500 mi) on Dec 1st. I've only had it a little over 2 months and I'm just breaking it in before all that fun starts this summer.

I got the terminology wrong because the service coordinator called me and said it was the Intercooler Radiator?? She does not understand the purpose or function well - she told me that.

Once Mike jumped in with GordsFord HE, I knew I had read about them before.

Now, I just gotta stop the order at the dealership!! I think you guys saved me a bunch of money and now I can turn a damaged part into a fun mod.

Thanks all!!

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread