Intercooler reservoir "burst?"

halfscale2130

Established Member
So last night I was driving on the highway and I got on it in 3rd and 4th. Probably about five seconds after I shifted into fourth fluid started coming out of the passenger side vent on the hood and got all over the place. I pulled over right after that and lifted the hood and saw that it came from the intercooler reservoir. Any idea why this happened? I had to work today so I didn't get the chance to go over it yet, I will tonight, but has anybody ever experienced this before?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
verify your intercooler pump is working, if not it may have overheated and vented, I believe I saw in another thread that sometimes the cap can be damaged, Id start with those two

halfscale2130

Established Member
Yeah That's what I'm afraid of, but I think it is working because I went out to the car this morning and started it and I looked in the reservoir and the fluid looks to be flowing inside the tank.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
When the pumps die, they die slowly. Mine was switching off and on for 6 months before I finally got around the replacing it. If you don't have a way to monitor IAT2's, it's hard to tell when it's working.

There's a pretty dramatic power loss once IAT2's climb above 145 F, but it's not a good idea to use that as your gauge.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
when the pump went on my lightning it was pretty hit or miss as well, I didnt realize it was having issues until halfway through the 4th dyno pull. We can bump it and it would run just fine at idle but midway through a pull would crap out again. If you have a handheld tuned you should be able to watch the IAT2 temps

halfscale2130

Established Member
When the pumps die, they die slowly. Mine was switching off and on for 6 months before I finally got around the replacing it. If you don't have a way to monitor IAT2's, it's hard to tell when it's working.

There's a pretty dramatic power loss once IAT2's climb above 145 F, but it's not a good idea to use that as your gauge.
Yeah there might have been some power loss when I was on it last night now that I'm thinking about it.
when the pump went on my lightning it was pretty hit or miss as well, I didnt realize it was having issues until halfway through the 4th dyno pull. We can bump it and it would run just fine at idle but midway through a pull would crap out again. If you have a handheld tuned you should be able to watch the IAT2 temps
Good point man Ill hook mine up when I get off work. Damn 6:00 needs to hurry up and get here so I can get home.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
most likely a bad pump.Some have had the stock plastic units crack due to sun damage with open type hood vents!
DSCF1663.jpg

halfscale2130

Established Member
^haha definitely my problem, but i just lifted it up in the driveway and needless to say...pump isnt too healthy. thanks for the input everyone

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
when im cruising in the heat during the day, during 80+ degree nights or days, i always see 150+* IAT2 temps- ive checked the flow and its flowing ok. Ive got a 2.9 whipple, and a dual core h/e, and a clean intercooler..... any suggestions?

halfscale2130

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread