Interested in buying a Ford Buy Back gt500

Shanezam203

Established Member
10059A_1.jpg

I went and test drove a gt500 today that was bought back RAV for Transmission issues. The car drove fine for me, and the Transmission + clutch was replaced.

I'm concerned buying the car since it was a buy back, any more information on this? Will I have a hard time selling it a few years from now? The car is a 2007 with 9,000 miles, 12 month, 12,000 miles from when I buy it.

Asking $36k, I am at $33,300 and am Happy around that price just obviously concerned it was a Buy Back. Here is the VIN can someone email me any details from a Carfax? 1ZVHT88S275358418 [email protected]

I combed through the vehicles Service History and I see the below.
Transmition, Clutch & Flywheel replacement
Airbox replacement
New Battery
Tires replaced under Warranty defect
Charger Coolant Pump replaced
Also I see at one point car had aftermarket Headers & Exhaust

What are your thoughts on buying a car that was RAV a Ford Buy Back but a clean title? I am fine with it if above issues are 100% resolved & I won't have a problem with Resale. :coolman:

Thanks,
Shane

XtremeS10

Established Member
It looks like the car is lowered, any chance you can get in touch with the previous ownder to find out what all was done to that car?

Shanezam203

Established Member
It looks like the car is lowered, any chance you can get in touch with the previous ownder to find out what all was done to that car?
I didn't see that, good point. Here is a better pic. I don't know how I'd get ahold of the previous owner, he or she was in Tampa & I'm in Chicago.

I'm more concerned what the Carfax says and how it's titled, anyone know?

10059A_3.jpg

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
1. 33k is too much for an 07'
2. 33k is waaay tooo much for an RAV 07'
3. Yes, you will have major trouble later selling the car
4. Unless you can steel it for high twenties "RUN"
5. RAV is the current way to reference a buy back/lemon/car with major service history.

dom418

Established Member
agreed with the above. Price is too high as the RAV will travel with the car its entire life and imo be a deterant in someone wanting to buy it in the future.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yup, the transmission may have just been the TSB and not the reason for the RAV. Anytime you buy a car with a ding on the history (wreck, buy-back, rebuild), you need to understand that it will be hard to sell and you will have to do so at the same type of rock-bottom price. People don't go through the trouble, generally speaking, of a buy-back unless they've had some major issues with the car.

I'd also wonder what else was modified on the car. I doubt someone simply did headers and exhaust which are both expensive mods...I bet it had a ton of other crap and the guy returned it to stock. Those could be 9000 hard miles. I'd tell them $25K and they need to double that warranty. Otherwise, walk.

Last edited:

XtremeS10

Established Member
It sounds like the car was built with an aftermarket blower, blew the trans or something apart, put back to stock and brought in for a warranty claim....

Colleton

Established Member
There was a used red 08 at the local Dodge dealership, 5K miles, no mods. Immaculate. They were asking 35K and I bet they would have taken 33.

IMHO, that's too high a price for a RAV car.

XtremeS10

Established Member
sounds logical.. I'd stay away.

No other explanation for the headers, lowering kit, CAI replacement, tires... so on so forth, it just doesn't sound to me like it was a defect in the car, it sounds like someone pulled something over on the Ford dealer

IMO I paid $37,000 for mine with 3k miles, and i didn't even negotiate that was the price the owner of the dealership gave me straight up if I wanted to walk away with it. He was the one driving the car as a Demo and it came with the air intake, and well we do the Ford dealers work, so we work other stuff out.

Even at that I had others telling me they were getting around 34-36k average for less than 3k mile 08's so the price is high at that

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
There's actually a 2006 C6 Z06 on another corvette forums for $36K. Stock, original owner, 62K miles. (noticed your sig pic)

65SC

Established Member
10059A_1.jpg

I went and test drove a gt500 today that was bought back RAV for Transmission issues. The car drove fine for me, and the Transmission + clutch was replaced.

I'm concerned buying the car since it was a buy back, any more information on this? Will I have a hard time selling it a few years from now? The car is a 2007 with 9,000 miles, 12 month, 12,000 miles from when I buy it.

Asking $36k, I am at $33,300 and am Happy around that price just obviously concerned it was a Buy Back. Here is the VIN can someone email me any details from a Carfax? 1ZVHT88S275358418 [email protected]

I combed through the vehicles Service History and I see the below.
Transmition, Clutch & Flywheel replacement
Airbox replacement
New Battery
Tires replaced under Warranty defect
Charger Coolant Pump replaced
Also I see at one point car had aftermarket Headers & Exhaust

What are your thoughts on buying a car that was RAV a Ford Buy Back but a clean title? I am fine with it if above issues are 100% resolved & I won't have a problem with Resale. :coolman:

Thanks,
Shane

if this is EddieG's GT500 that was talked about on the TS site, stay away from it. it was driven hard and had a KB on it and was known to have problems

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
My car was made to be driven hard.....no need to pussy around with a car w/500hp from the factory. It's a car it can be fixed, look @ Dan Shoneck for example. He rebuilds them from totaled and hammers them. If you can work the deal to your advantage do it! Will Ford back the car for your intended purpose? Not sure what your plans are for future mods.

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
EddieG...lol, I remember that debacle over there at TS.
The real issue isn't the RAV or the replaced trans for that matter (unless your really concerned with the resale) but the fact that it may in fact have some serious internal problems because of the possibility that it had an aftermarket blower on it.
Years ago I bought a 92 5.0 with good heads and a Vortec pushing 10lbs from a dealer, I fought that thing constantly, and ended up getting rid of it.....bent rod. Just BPT fight with it. Lots of 07s going for a song right now.

Shanezam203

Established Member
I think I'll pass on it for now, it's hard because it had the color & packages I wanted & I thought was in the right price. I like Red with white stripes, then Navigation & Red and Black Interior. :)

Thanks for the help guys, I will keep looking.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread