Interesting article in Car and Driver

StreetSnake

Established Member
This months C&D has an article on guys who own Mitsubishi EVOs. Seems that Mitsubishi has been monitoring the EVO forums and have been denying warranty repair on people who have publicly stated they are racing them. How bad does that suck:mj:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They can only do that if they can (A) associate a name with a forum ID, and (2) prove that the car has been raced. Who's to say a person is "bragging" that they're racing when they really aren't.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
They also check SCCA Autocross results pages to put actual names with cars.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I have a friend with an EVO....they have a harder time getting warranty work than we do. :nonono:

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
hard to warrenty a car when the people that make it are going down the drain

earl lee

Established Member
Originally posted by vector
hard to warrenty a car when the people that make it are going down the drain

The sadder thing is, they are now trying to go the hyundia/kia route and offer 100k warranty, which includes the 2004+ evo's however many of the evo owners have already laffed at that worthless peice of paper. Mitshu will blame problems on anything. Your tail light could go out and they will say it was from to many hard stops causing the light to short circuit.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by STREETREBEL
THOSE GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!
THEY BUILD A FAST CAR AND THEN TELL YOU NOT TO RACE IT?

I wonder where I heard that before. :idea:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Same go's for the Subaru WRX or STI....they give you a membership to the SCCA and if you race the car,your warranty is done. :nonono:

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I wonder where I heard that before. :idea:

Yep, they probably got their bend over and spread'em training from Ford/SVT.

jshen

Established Member
Troublesome

What about all the SVT events and Ford Days at tracks nationwide...Does anyone know if they will void our warranty for attending an event like that....and doing some spirited driving?

:shrug:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Re: Troublesome

Originally posted by jshen
What about all the SVT events and Ford Days at tracks nationwide...Does anyone know if they will void our warranty for attending an event like that....and doing some spirited driving?

from what I understand, the SVT Track Days is one of the few "factory sanctioned" racing programs that won't void your warranty..

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Re: Troublesome

Originally posted by jshen

Supposedly the dealer that is sponsoring the event has a deal with Ford Corp to warranty any damage done during that particular race day.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Actually, I read they will do warranty work as long as there is no evidence of "abuse." Nice little loophole don't you think?

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
I have a friend with an EVO....they have a harder time getting warranty work than we do. :nonono:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hard time... that's rich... :beer:

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
Originally posted by StreetSnake
This months C&D has an article on guys who own Mitsubishi EVOs. Seems that Mitsubishi has been monitoring the EVO forums and have been denying warranty repair on people who have publicly stated they are racing them. How bad does that suck:mj:

dat sucksss...but racing or not, if the car is not moded does that not give the warranty leeway to be applicable on a repair, i mean shit...if the manufacturers really cared that much why do they ever let a motor hit redzone instead of governing it at a pussy rpm...
and wasnt there someone else who said that roush or someone was using these forums for proof for a voided warranty..

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Damn, going through on-line forums to find dirt so they can void your warranty is pretty harsh.

It's probably costing them more to do this "research" than it would be to just fix the cars.

Although, I'm starting to wonder about the accuracy of some stuff from Car and Driver. Take a look at the new Vette review. They have some comparison charts where they include an SVT Cobra.

According to their charts, our Cobra's:
- Cost $40,000
- Take 179 feet to stop from 70
- Have a skidpad rating of 0.85 (worse than a Mustang GT)

I'm pretty sure the real numbers are, $34,599 cost, 168 feet braking, and 0.90 skidpad.

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
okay thats nuff said there...there is a reason why one mustang is called the Cobra and the other is the GT....they wouldnt just slap on the same suspension better yet get a worse skidpad rating

Users who are viewing this thread