Interesting developments at Palm Beach Dyno

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
That's a bummer I need some revisions and he tuned my car. It's hard to read any bad blood, it sounds like burnout and needing a break. I guess we'll see.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Has Rob made mention of this as the reason he’s leaving? Says he’ll be back…

Not sure this is relevant.

If little shops in MN are feeling the heat, hard to believe shops with rep aren't. You also see a steady stream of shops being nailed with fines. It sucks.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
If little shops in MN are feeling the heat, hard to believe shops with rep aren't. You also see a steady stream of shops being nailed with fines. It sucks.

Yea but how do we know this has any relevance to why Rob is taking a break from tuning and parting ways with PBD?

Seems incredibly speculative. Ken posted a job opening back in February. This may have been in the works for a while now…

Image1681406445.288323.jpg

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
PBTH was always my go to for anything down there when I lived in WPB.

Jake is the man

Zemedici

Established Member
Feel like this is a consistent theme in tuning shops

Tuners want to tune, not run a business. So someone runs the business, slowly but surely screws the tuner out of money/recognition, and then the tuner leaves.

Shop dies a year or two later.

This x65000

Always have a ‘face’ and the guy doing the work.

Guy that’s the face gets to kiss babies and essentially **** off, guy doing the work starts working 3x the hours the face guy does; for half the money. Animosity starts growing, and turns into resentment.

Idk where I’ve seen this before ;)

So glad I’m out of that industry. Guys will cut the leg off someone they’ve known 10 years, to make minimal money. Cutthroat af. And the politics are insanity.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If Rob created this tune for the ST, then that's pretty badass! Saw this when it came out and wish I went with an ST instead of my
MDX:

Tezz500

Established Member
This x65000

Always have a ‘face’ and the guy doing the work.

Guy that’s the face gets to kiss babies and essentially **** off, guy doing the work starts working 3x the hours the face guy does; for half the money. Animosity starts growing, and turns into resentment.

Idk where I’ve seen this before ;)

So glad I’m out of that industry. Guys will cut the leg off someone they’ve known 10 years, to make minimal money. Cutthroat af. And the politics are insanity.

I would say that’s an unfair characterization of PBD.

Ken, the owner, has been tuning cars for 20+ years.

To suggest he dumped everything on Rob and was “****ing off” is BS in my opinion…

We don’t know why Rob left, I’d like to hear some more info but I personally don’t think the quality of PBDs tunes are going to suffer.

It’s probably going to take a lot longer to get things done but I’m confident they will survive this.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely big news. If you are a coyote or 20+ gt500 guy... there are still plenty of good options, however.

Lund, Wengerd (lots of positive press lately), AED, and Luis Ortiz.

Tezz500

Established Member
I am mildly interested to see if he took any of his tunes with him.

You know, they can’t take away his knowledge.

But the specific tunes are probably proprietary…

Im sure he’ll be fine tuning cars if and when he decides to do that…

I really only see a back log of tuning work for PBD being the issue for them. They get a lot of work and losing Rob probably hasn’t made anything easier.

Zemedici

Established Member
I would say that’s an unfair characterization of PBD.

Ken, the owner, has been tuning cars for 20+ years.

To suggest he dumped everything on Rob and was “****ing off” is BS in my opinion…

We don’t know why Rob left, I’d like to hear some more info but I personally don’t think the quality of PBDs tunes are going to suffer.

It’s probably going to take a lot longer to get things done but I’m confident they will survive this.

I’m didn’t say that’s what happened, just that’s what I’ve seen from being in the industry for years. Ken has been in this game a LONG time, as has Rob. So it had to be something major to have that sort of fallout, but hey, shit happens.

As you said, they’ll survive.

Users who are viewing this thread